Author Topic: The Dating Game -- Episodes 93 & 94  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The Dating Game -- Episodes 93 & 94
« on: July 14, 2005, 05:59:58 PM »
Fashion notes first . . .

Roger is going very casual for Roger with a three-button corduroy blazer and a sweater vest.

To show her commitment to Joe, Carolyn is wearing a little black dress. There's sheer material covering the bracelet length sleeves and the neck. She's got the hair up in one of those 60s styles (lots of loops and big curls).

For Vicki's evening in the big city, she's got on a pale sleeveless dress and also has her hair up. I have to say she looks a lot more sophisticated than we've ever seen her before.

Onto the show . . .

It's Day 12. Francis and John were responsible for the first episode. With the second episode, Ron Sproat begins (John directs again).

Carolyn has done her job. Elizabeth is both ticked and worried. In contrast, Roger is being flippant. In other words, situation normal.

Once he learns that Vicki is with the dreaded Burke, he takes it all a lot more seriously. Elizabeth seems more concerned about Burke than Vicki's nosing about. It's hard to tell though. Some more fencing back and forth between them. Nothing we haven't seen before.

Carolyn takes care to work on Roger. Sometimes she knows exactly what she's doing. This is one of those cases. She claims she's upset about Vicki and Burke and goes back to her conspiracy theories. By the time she's done, he's in one hell of a mood.

Unfortunately for David, Roger comes in and finds him drawing a picture of Bill Malloy. I should point out that David's total interest in the matter of the late and much lamented Bill is first, last, and always seeing Roger sent to prison. That's all he's about. I'm sure if he thought about it, he might acknowledge that Bill was a nice enough man, but my gut feeling is that David has no grief over the guy's death. He's a narcissist in the making. The "talk" gets out of hand and in the next scene we learn that Roger smacked David. Ah, the good old days (sarcasm intended). Today someone would be placing a furtive call to C.P.S.

Later. Miss "I Don't Care about Burke" is busy trying to figure out where he is. Elizabeth reacts with her usual unruffled, sane way until Carolyn reveals that Vicki went to Bangor to figure out who B. Hanscombe was. She's still pretty calm and then Carolyn brings up the portrait. I have to say though that by no means is Liz wigging out. She says rather matter-of-factly that Betty was somehow related to the butler, that Vicki in no way resembled her, and that she hasn't given the woman any thought, or heard of her in over 25 years. Carolyn goes back to Burke. Liz is clearly more concerned that her daughter is becoming a stalker. Liz then brings up Paul. She says that she had been in love with Ned Calder, but kept him dangling too long; he moved on and she ended up with Paul.

I would like to emphasize that while she doesn't go into details, Liz is particularly clear that her marriage to Paul was not a happy one.

Carolyn takes heed of this cautionary tale. Her lack of interest in Paul is bizarre to me. He was her father after all and she obviously doesn't know much about him. Anyhow, she'll give Joe one more shot. Roger, who should know better by now, is surprised at her total change of mood. Back with his sister, he reiterates that he wants Vicki fired. She should sell Collinwood too. Obviously neither is going to happen.

In the exotic Bangor Pine Hotel, Frank seems completely and totally hooked. I do have to question his choice in taking Vicki all the way to the restaurant downstairs, but perhaps it's supposed to have fabulous food. Who knows? Anyhow, he's being totally supportive and helpful and has the big cow eyes whenever he looks at her. It's very cute.

Back in the sticks, in a less grown-up locale, namely the Blue Whale, Carolyn swears up and down to Joe that nothing has changed and that they are an item. I don't think Joe believes her. For some odd reason, she brings up Vicki seeing the late Mr. Malloy. There is some logic supposedly, something about stress and atmosphere and Carolyn needing a supportive man. Now she thinks there is something to Vicki's story. Joe really just wants to know what the score is. In walks Maggie and Sam. Then, in a move that totally and completely baffles me, Carolyn craftily invites both of them over to the table. Why in the name of all that is good and holy, she thinks that is a good idea is beyond me.

More gooiness with Frank and Vicki.

I never thought I would say this, but I have more dating smarts than Carolyn. It's like watching a train wreck or reality TV. You're cringing in horror and yet you cannot look away. Carolyn chooses to be fake and friendly to Maggie. You can just see it about to backfire on her. She's trying for some noblesse oblige and Joe's ticked and Maggie's nervous. Sam waffles back and forth between uncomfortable and thirsty.

Bangor: Frank tells Vicki that Hanscombe is a popular name in this part of Maine. Okay. Sure. Basically there are a lot of Hanscombes and tracking down the specific ones is likely to be a lengthy job. Richard shows up with a message for his son. He's polite but discouraging about the chances of locating the information Vicki wants.

Blue Whale: Carolyn appears to be the only one having a good time, and even that is questionable. Again with the talk about Vicki seeing a ghost. Okay, why? I don't get it. What on earth is the point? Of course, Sam is suddenly interested. Then Carolyn makes the fatal mistake of implying that Vicki went to Bangor with Burke for a dirty weekend. It's a well acted scene. You can see the hurt and resignation in Joel Crothers' face. He knows PDQ that she's assuaging her hurt feelings with him. He's totally furious. He tells her how it's going to be and Carolyn runs out. And Maggie? Maggie's sitting there smirking.

Bangor: Richard expresses some concern at the zeal with which Frank is pursuing Vicki's case. He reminds Frank that Elizabeth is their client, not Vicki.

Blue Whale: Sam keeps on drinking. Is anyone surprised? Joe returns sans Carolyn and joins them. Maggie prompts him to talk about riggings and boats and they flirt as the scene ends. Game, set, and match.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga