Author Topic: ** Censoring Words **  (Read 4937 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
** Censoring Words **
« on: April 01, 2005, 08:54:55 PM »
Please read this post if you haven't already:

We've noticed that recently several people have been using "creative" spelling for certain words in their posts. However, there's really no need to do that. ...

Thanks.  :)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: ** Censoring Words **
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 12:19:39 AM »
ME LIKE . .ME LIKE . .
Julia99

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 12:47:24 AM »
Please read this post if you haven't already:

We've noticed that recently several people have been using "creative" spelling for certain words in their posts. However, there's really no need to do that. ...
Thanks.  :)

I think creative spellings are like the bleeping over naughty words on TV.  As Sharon Osbourne once observed, and the South Park film proved, the attempts to hide the vulgarisms make them seem funnier than they actually are. 
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 01:35:04 AM »

Holy shit!  Now THAT'S good to know, ain't it!   ;D

- Foul-mouthed CLC

:-X
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - Re: ** Censoring Words **
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 03:41:20 PM »
Back in the seventies, a major Milwaukee newspaper employed one of the first primitive computerized systems for editing stories, making sure that no naughty words slipped by accidentally.  And then a problem arose.  In the Sunday edition, there was a column in the entertainment section which listed the top-requested songs in the Milwaukee area.  The name of the column was Milwaukee's Hit Parade.  For some reason, the computer program kept kicking the title out, refusing to have it go to print.  The befuddled editors kept scratching their heads until they finally noticed why.  See if you can find in the name what the computer did, but the editors initially did not.

Gerard

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - Re: ** Censoring Words **
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 05:01:13 PM »
See if you can find in the name what the computer did, but the editors initially did not.

I see it.

How appropriate it would be for today's top 40.  ^-^

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 08:18:54 PM »
I see it too... It was funny once you actually saw it and you are right Dom that would be a perfect title for today's top 40.

FireRose

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Re: ** Censoring Words **
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 08:21:18 PM »
Back in the seventies, a major Milwaukee newspaper employed one of the first primitive computerized systems for editing stories, making sure that no naughty words slipped by accidentally.

What a, um, crappy program. Primitive is right.

How appropriate it would be for today's top 40.

Oh, I don't know - there's still a lot of good music being produced today. But that's a discussion for a completely different forum.  ;)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 01:38:02 AM »
Back in the seventies, a major Milwaukee newspaper employed one of the first primitive computerized systems for editing stories, making sure that no naughty words slipped by accidentally.
What a, um, crappy program. Primitive is right.

It's the same way now I think.  On my board having to do with medical disasters and problems with the medical system, I tried to do a thread on someone's "Spoon Theory".   The "Spoon Theory" is a way someone came up with to explain to well people what being sick long-term is like.     I got this from www.butyoudontlooksick.com.    I reccommend that everyone in the world spend some time there.

Every time I tried to make this thread, it kept coming out "The Sthingy Theory".   It said "sthingy" in the link too, so the link went noplace.    It took a while for it to hit me what was happening.   At first I thought "sthingy" must just be some term I'm unfamiliar with.

It may take you a moment or two, but I doubt I need to tell you what MY board was doing to me... though the swear word in question isn't one of the most common ones, and they chose a peculiar euphemism.    In the end I had to avoid the word "spoon" altogether.     Funny world, isn't it?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 07:23:15 AM »
I found the spot to change my list of censored words on my board.   "Spoon" is no longer vorboten.    I changed the list of "thingy"s to various euphemisms and when I'm done, anyone can go to my board and swear just to see what weirdities pop up instead.  
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline millicent

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 07:14:45 PM »
Hey Trask.  ;D

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 01:07:02 PM »
Where'd Millicent go, anyway?   I lured her here from a Gilmore Girls board, and now she's not even there anymore.   But then, the show stopped being good this season.     Lots of people bialed, unfortunately.  I don't need a show to be currently good or even currently on the air.

Oh I almost forgot.... f**k.   That sure felt weird.  I'm not sure I'm doing that again.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 01:09:07 PM »
Well, turns out you can't curse after all.

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 08:00:46 PM »
Back in the seventies, a major Milwaukee newspaper employed one of the first primitive computerized systems for editing stories, making sure that no naughty words slipped by accidentally.  And then a problem arose.  In the Sunday edition, there was a column in the entertainment section which listed the top-requested songs in the Milwaukee area.  The name of the column was Milwaukee's Hit Parade.  For some reason, the computer program kept kicking the title out, refusing to have it go to print.  The befuddled editors kept scratching their heads until they finally noticed why.  See if you can find in the name what the computer did, but the editors initially did not.
======================
Ok, I'll admit I'm naive---I don't see it!  Can someone solve the mystery? I want my halo to slip, too! [angel12]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 10:07:08 PM »
Milwaukee's Hit Parade