Author Topic: BIG FINISH audio books  (Read 657 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
BIG FINISH audio books
« on: June 24, 2017, 11:43:49 PM »
Due to recent problems with my vision (not the subject of this post, but relevant), I have been listening to old radio shows before bed, rather than trying to read.  I am wondering about the Big Finish audio books (not the full-cast drams, which I have already purchased--and find a mixed bag--and, again, my review is not for this post).

Can anyone share your thoughts on the audio books?  Also, can anyone comment on the Amazon Kindle audible books (quality, dramatic reading or not?

Thanks. Brian

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: BIG FINISH audio books
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 04:00:10 AM »
I have enjoyed the dramatic readings. The earlier ones tended to be 2 reader stories with one actor taking on a major role and a second in a supporting one. Later they tended more towards full cast audio dramas but with a smaller cast than the other series. I loved one of the early ones, The Path of Fate. It's read by Lara and David Selby. It's written by Mark Rainey who cowrote "Dark Shadows-Dreams of the Dark." It's a sequel of sorts to 1840 with a more sinister stairway through time. I found it to be chilling and eerie.

Some of these dramas feature new characters and lots of Doctor Who actors appear in them. You might want to read about the various arcs of stories and see which ones interest you. For example, there's an entire chain of stories about the Trasks, Gregory and Charity. You can filter the stories by arcs. You might like to check out the Tony and Cassandra stories. Angelique encounters Tony by chance at an island. This is not some weird parallel time story. She's calling herself Cassandra because being the ex wife of Roger Collins opens doors. It's made clear this is Angelique. Some people on this board speculated that it was like the Gold Key comics where she was calling herself Cassandra for no apparent reason. She continues using the name with Tony since that's the name he knows her by. They become an unlikely duo solving mysteries. There's a lot of diversity. There should be something for every DS fan.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: BIG FINISH audio books
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:10:41 AM »
Thank you for the very good information.  I will look into some of the audio recordings as you suggest.

Brian