Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #398 - Betsy Durkin; James Storm; Seaview in "The Discovery"  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
SHADOWGRAM OFFICIAL DARK SHADOWS NEWS ONLINE UPDATE # 398
APRIL 1, 2017

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), provides the following news in this ShadowGram Official Dark Shadows News Online Update "Bulletin."

**** BETSY DURKIN: NEW HISTORICAL BIOGRAPHY / PERSONAL MEMOIR AVAILABLE IN PRINT & KINDLE DOWNLOAD

BETSY (Victoria Winters #2) shares with SG about her new book, “Forever Is Not for Everyone.” In this evocative historical biography, she personally explores how her father’s death in the waning days of World War II impacted her life – even though she was only 3 years old at the time.

She tells SG: “It is listed on amazon.com in both a printed and a Kindle version. Also,
if any DS fans wish to buy an autographed copy of my book, they can send me a note with a check for $20 (the cost of the book + postage/padded envelope) with their name and postal address, as well as the person to whom they would like the book autographed.
Please have them address it to me at:

Betsy Durkin Matthes
Peter's Pride Publishing
P.O Box 452
Shelter Island Heights, NY 11965

She also shares that “I am not taking any profit from this book, as it is dedicated to my father, who was a paratrooper and a gliderman, and who was killed in World War ll. All the money that I receive is going to support the Museum of Aviation Foundation as well as the 325th Glider Infantry Association.”

FOREVER IS NOT FOR EVERYONE  by Betsy Durkin Matthes
---- Kindle Download Edition – $9.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0178QBIHC/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

---- Paperback Book Edition - $15.95

Sample Reading: Chapters 1-3

File Size: 11773 KB
Print Length: 245 pagesTop of Form
“Due to its large file size, this book may take longer to download.”

Amazon description: “As a World War II historical biography and present-day memoir, “FOREVER IS NOT FOR EVERYONE” illuminates the story of one daughter’s search for the forgotten life of her deceased father, a war hero she never got a chance to know.

“Fatherless at the age of 3 and armed with a lifelong desire to uncover the past, a telephone conversation with a total stranger propels her forward on a journey to the invasion beaches of Normandy, France, to a picturesque hill town in Belgium, and to a fateful crossroad in a remote area just over the German border. Encountering along the way heroes of the past and the present, she ultimately finds herself in the midlands of England, as her father’s representative, addressing attendees at memorials honoring regiments of the 82nd Airborne who were billeted there during war.

“This is a story of loss, self-renewal, and undying love. It is a source of genuine inspiration to all those contemplating such a journey for themselves.”

“About the Author: Betsy Durkin Matthes is a former actress, singer, dancer, and lyricist. She appeared on Broadway, Off-Broadway, in daytime dramas, national touring companies, and in over 100 television commercials. She also had 13 songs recorded by major artists including John Parr, Cissy Houston, Stephanie Mills, and The Manhattans. As a returning student, Betsy graduated from Marymount Manhattan College in 1996 as Class Valedictorian with a degree in International Studies and Women s Studies. In 2006, she turned her talents to the subject of men's clothing in her first book, ‘Dressing the Man You Love: A Woman’s Guide to Purchasing, Coordinating, and Caring for His Classic Wardrobe.’ She is a lifelong advocate for refugees and women's rights, and a former pilot.”

SHADOWGRAM welcomes and invites fans to please share any publicity materials, reviews, articles, etc. regarding BETSY DURKIN’S book with SHADOWGRAM.
Please use the postal- or e- mail addresses above/below.

**** JAMES STORM FEATURED IN RECENT ARTICLES

JIM (Gerard Stiles) shares with SG about 3 articles covering his life and career. As SG has reported over the years, Jim is not only a TV/film/stage actor, but also an accomplished photographer, talented musician, and rights activist.

He is very involved in causes that support human and legal rights of Native Americans, the wonders of our natural environment, and the ever-changing, never-static flow of people across the country who live, travel, and work on the land.

Below are links to the articles about Jim, followed by details about his many interests, causes, and activities.

---- NOT HIS FIRST RODEO
Published in Cultural Weekly by Alexis Rhone Fancher – December 2016
http://www.culturalweekly.com/not-first-rodeo-interview-actorphotographer-james-storm/

---- WHY GO TO STANDING ROCK?
Published in Cultural Weekly by Alexis Rhone Fancher – Feb. 16, 2017
http://www.culturalweekly.com/go-standing-rock/

---- OUT OF THE SHADOWS
by Herbie Pilato
http:/www.emmys.com/news/online-originals/out-shadows

Jim often focuses his camera on evocative images that capture close-up people of multiple backgrounds and livelihoods at work, play, and rest, plus bridges, common objects, buildings, surrounding countryside, and more. His close-up portraits reveal each unique individual and the indelible marks of life’s impact on humans and nature alike.

He’s stayed on Native American reservations and homelands, sharing and chronicling their lives and heritages with his camera. He recently spent a few weeks at the Standing Rock Indian Reservation, supporting ongoing protests with the tribes and many others in opposition to the planned Dakota Access Pipeline.

At DS Festival events in NY, Los Angeles, and San Diego, Jim and his guitar have performed live onstage, presenting a range of traditional country-western songs. Many in the audience sang and clapped along.

In 2014, Jim asked ShadowGram to help with a very personal project: His “Wanderlust” trip. SG reported frequent details about his Go Fund Me campaign to raise monies for him to travel that summer by Greyhound Bus from Los Angeles to Montana and back. Thanks to wonderful support from DS fans and others, the effort succeeded.

During Jim’s 2 months’ travels, his camera and online posts chronicled what he saw and did in detail and specific images: distinctive views of individual people; the expansive vistas of sky and land; intimate pictures of an isolated, dilapidated barn or a cowboy’s dusty boots leaning against a wooden fence post, and more. Stepping into the intense world of local and professional rodeo enthusiasts brought Jim’s vivid portraits: the exhilarating competitions, behind the scenes activities, the lives and camaraderie of the people, animals, equipment, and their surroundings

Jim continues to explore with his camera, revealing people, places, objects, and more that he sees in the vast and the close-up worlds around him. SG thanks him for sharing.

**** SEAVIEW TERRACE PROMINENT IN NETFLIX MOVIE “THE DISCOVERY”

SEAVIEW TERRACE (CAREY MANSION) is the familiar “face” of the original daytime DS’ “Collinwood.” Located along the rocky Atlantic coastline in Newport, RI, the rear of the house is actually the iconic view of the Collins Family home.

The 2017 Netflix movie THE DISCOVERY shot extensively in and around the house and grounds. Starring Robert Redford and Rooney Mara, the sci-fi fantasy premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. It debuted on Netflix 3-31 and is available for streaming.
Netflix offers people to “join free for a month”:  https://www.netflix.com/title/80115857  or call 866-579-7172.

Netflix publicity: “A scientist whose proof of an afterlife caused a rash of suicides forges ahead with his research, while his disapproving son falls for a troubled woman.” Also: “Now that the afterlife’s been proven to exist, people are killing themselves in droves. Seems like a good time to fall in love.” The movie is “cerebral, dark, mind-bending, romantic, understated.”

TODAY SHOW 3-20 interviewed Redford. His reaction to the script: “I loved it for a whole bunch of reasons. It was out there. It made you think and it explored new territory. When you were a kid, didn’t you ever wonder what was out there but that you would like to know about?” His character “realizes what he’s done” and “the consequences” because people worldwide are committing suicide to reach the realm of the afterlife. Yet “he can’t take responsibility for this because he can’t correct things.” Redford’s personal view: “What I like about it is that you don’t know ((what an afterlife may be like)) until you get there or don’t get there.” The premise is “fascinating. What else is out there that we don’t know about, that we are curious about? We’d like to know but we don’t. The curiosity is there, and that’s what this film feeds on. “ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxqQYz-Ikdo&list=PLVn1ZdfiPPppN-oSn9P-_YT15wrKEl5wJ

A special premiere was held in Newport 3-30. SG thanks SG contributors Gaye McNown and Nina Ogle, who share: Director Charlie McDowell says he is “paying attention to the fact that the house is drawing its own audience of DS fans.” So SG joins him in encouraging all “to please spread the word for every DS fan to watch this movie!”

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I am continually impressed with Betsy Durkin. I knew of some of her accomplishments but a lot of what she has done was new to me. She has certainly lived a full life, where Dark Shadows was only a small part. I hope that she comes back to the festivals!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
I just finished reading Betsy Durkin's wonderful book regarding her search for information on her father who was killed in World War II on basically the last day of intense fighting at the Battle of the Bulge when Betsy was 3 years old. She was able to make contact with family members and surviving soldiers who served with her dad and even 2 who saved his life during d-day. Besides having a picture of his wife and one of Betsy in his wallet when he was killed, Betsy was able to identify and eventually meet 65 years later the French woman who was a little girl in the last picture taken of her dad, when Betsy and her son Peter attended the 65th anniversary in Normandy. Besides being a good read for history buffs of World War II, it was fascinating how much she was able to learn after so long a time and brought her some closure.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The book sounds like a fascinating read.