Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87391 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Chances are the reason why Scene 128 was extended in the film with Todd material is because these next scenes in the script that would have dealt with similar material were never shot:

129    EXT:  MAIN GATE - COLLINWOOD - NIGHT               129
       LONG SHOT

Todd's car pulls out of the gate and swings onto the
       road.

130    INT:  TODD'S CAR - NIGHT                           130
       HOOD MOUNT SHOT

Todd as he drives continues to think about everything
       Stokes said.  The incident has left him very upset.
       Then something on the road ahead catches his eye.

131    TODD'S POV - CEMETERY - NIGHT - through  windshield   131

He sees the cemetery where Carolyn's funeral was held.

132    EXT:  CEMETERY ROAD - NIGHT                        132
       WIDE ANGLE
                                          and passes Camera
       As the car pulls into the cemetery and parks near the
       gate, Todd gets out and stands there for a moment,
       looking solemn.  Then he starts walking toward CAMERA.

And honestly, it's extremely effective having Stokes' words echoing through his mind be what prompts Todd to investigate the mausoleum...

What is interesting, though, is, like other instances, apparently at some point DC did plan to shoot at least Scenes 131 and 132 or else why would he have made notations to them?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the current scene:

133    EXT:  FAMILY MAUSOLEUM - NIGHT                     133
       FULL SHOT

Todd appears and approaches the mausoleum.  He looks
       at it, grief-stricken as he thinks about Carolyn.  The
       night is dark and quiet, and he finds the atmosphere
       very peaceful.  He bows his head to say a silent
       prayer.  While his head is bowed, a HAND comes into
       frame and touches him on the shoulder.  Todd whirls
       around with a start and a horrified look comes over
 INT    his face.  He finds himself face to face with the pale,
MAUS deathly Carolyn.  He backs away and she begins to move
       toward him.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 58/Scene 133 - Todd: 'Oh, my God!!'

- comes up.

But as we know, that's not at all how things play in the film. But the differences will have to wait until much later today because, believe it or not, I have several things I need to do away from the forum today. Shocking, I know - but true. But think of it this way: it'll give you time to contemplate what the scene might have actually been like had it been shot as scripted...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It wasn't until I reviewed the slideshow that I noticed a possible error in Professor Stokes' logic. David was the person that vampire Carolyn actually sought out, rather than Todd. Was it because Todd was at Collinwood around too many witnesses? Or simply that David had obligingly served himself as a buffet item at the isolated swimming pool? In any event, the stalking of initial prey by Barnabas and Carolyn is certainly different from the way the TV show did things.

And I love that shot of Joan from Tiger Beat. I strictly read 16 at the time, so I missed it until now.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
But the differences will have to wait until much later today because, believe it or not, I have several things I need to do away from the forum today.

I didn't get home until a short while ago, and I'm not really in the mood to select captures and write them up. But I promise I will do all that the first chance I get tomorrow before I do anything else on the forum...

(What I am going to do, though, is watch the Criterion Collection release of Beyond The Valley of the Dolls, which I picked up on sale at Barnes & Noble in my travels today. Many of you (and you know who you are [b003]) keep telling me how much you love it and how I didn't give it a chance back when I saw it in the '70s, so when I saw the Blu-ray on sale today for only $10.00, I grabbed it, and now I'll see if any of it, apart from the Strawberry Alarm Clock's performance of Incense and Peppermints, makes any impression on me these 40+ years later...)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
MB, I'm just imagining the expression on your face as you behold the crazed antics of the Z-Man! LOL.  I enjoyed BVotD but I wouldn't have said it was in any way essential viewing.  I was really surprised when a friend loaned me the big DVD release that came out several years ago.  There was an interview or commentary with Roger Ebert on it (it was before he became ill) and he gushed on and on about how great his screenplay for it was.  My jaw dropped.

I find the Strawberry Alarm Clock appearance in the movie somewhat anticlimactic, though the party sequence is fun. I actually enjoy some of the Carrie Nation songs in the movie and I have the CD--and the songs are on my iPod.

Back to topic, I know that Sam or DC re-used Carolyn's dialogue, at least one line of it, in some other project--maybe the Jack Palace DRACULA script--soon after this.  Great line so why not make use of it again.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I know that Sam or DC re-used Carolyn's dialogue, at least one line of it, in some other project--maybe the Jack Palace DRACULA script--soon after this.  Great line so why not make use of it again.

Recycling, to use a kind term, was certainly DC's forte. As I've mentioned before, not only does he recycle sequences shot for shot from hoDS for the '91 DS, he recycled sequences shot for shot right out of the Palance version of Dracula for the show. So, if DC recycled some hoDS dialogue in Dracula as well, that wouldn't surprise me in the least.  [nodno]  ::)

(As for BtVotD, a comment from Ebert actually speaks perfectly for my reaction to the whole thing this time around: "(it's) like a movie that got made by accident when the lunatics took over the asylum." Though I will also admit to enjoying the Carrie Nation songs. If only the rest of the movie was as good. Fifteen minutes of the last twenty have to be the most insane fifteen minutes I've ever seen on film!! It's no wonder Jacqueline Susann sued and won. And apparently that whole sequence doesn't even appear in the script because it was made up during production. But it seems like more of that was going around in '70 than we were initially aware...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
There's some sort of problem going on with the forum's host and I've been unable to upload files to our FTP. So apparently the differences in the beginning of Scene 133 will have to wait until whatever is going on gets straightened out...

I guess I'll go have my lunch and hope things work better afterward...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Still no go. So, I guess I'll do other things. Who knows when I'll be able to back to this - but at least I'm still two days ahead for the slideshow, having already uploaded the captures for tomorrow and Tuesday. Hopefully things will be working again long before I'd need to upload Wednesday's capture for the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, I just got 3 captures uploaded before it stopped working again. The trouble is that between yesterday and today I need to upload 22 captures. But 3 is progress. 3 down, 19 to go...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I've decided I'm not going to wait around forever for our host's problem to clear up. I'm going to write up and post the differences for yesterday and today and hope that at some time in the not to distant future I'll be able to upload and you'll all be able to actually see the captures...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And speaking of sequences reworked during production, we come back to the differences between the beginning of Scene 133 in the script vs. the film:

One thing that actually is the same as the script is that Scene 133 starts off with Todd coming into view outside the Collins mausoleum -

- and then he does indeed make his way to the mausoleum and to shine his flashlight's beam on it -

- (and my, what a big flashlight you have there, Todd [cheesyb]) but he only makes the briefest of hesitations before he moves right to the mausoleum, so there's no bowing of his head and no perception that he says a silent prayer for Carolyn - and from this point on things dramatically diverge from the script because Todd walks up to the mausoleum to -

- open the gate and to go inside. After that it's like we're now in Scene 133A. We see the light from Todd's flashlight as it shines on the wall leading down to the inside of the mausoleum -

- and soon Todd himself comes into view as -

- he comes down the stairs - from there he turns and begins to enter -

- the vault where he proceeds to walk over toward Carolyn nameplate on the wall and -

- to shine his flashlight on it - then he tenderly reaches out to touch it -

- and to caress it - but then he has the inkling that he is not alone and after turning we see -

- a look of shock on his face because standing in a doorway is Carolyn -

- and it's at that point that he utters yesterday's quote -

- in complete disbelief.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
So, keep in mind that at the moment only 4 captures are visible in the above post: the first three and the one at the bottom. I'll post as I'm able to add more...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
So sorry you're experiencing all those hair-pulling technical difficulties, MB.  We all appreciate your hard work here.

I hope you got at least a few laughs out of BtVotD.  My memories of it are pretty blurred at this point. 

Just imagine being at a party at which the host/ess insisted upon screening VotD, BtVotD, and finally, SHOWGIRLS.  By the time the latter aired, presumably whoever was still left on the battlefield would be sufficiently "enhanced" from the party favors that they really wouldn't give a flying you-know what nonsense was parading in front of them.

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I thought the problem might have been fixed because just now when I tried to upload the next capture, it went through with no problem - but no such luck with a second one. So, 1 more has been uploaded, meaning 7 captures are now visible. At this rate who knows how long it's going to take to get them all uploaded...