Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 88052 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
  "I'm afraid you'd be most uncomfortable," Elizabeth
said. "We have forty rooms at Collinwood. There is no
need for you to stay here."

Perhaps as many as forty if you include bathrooms, alcoves, basement rooms, etc. ...

No kidding!! When it comes to hoDS, one definitely has to summon up a large dose of suspension of disbelief to believe Lyndhurst is the size that Collinwood is supposed to be. That was always one of my biggest problems because there's no way anyone could seriously believe Lyndhurst has any of Collinwood's closed off sections!!  [nodno]  It barely has enough bedrooms for the people who live there!! The idea that Barnabas could be a house guest is hysterical! Yeah, maybe if he bunks in with Roger!!  [lghy]  (And even if Barnabas was human, could you even imagine that?!  [ghost_nowink]) But eventually I got over that and just came to accept Lyndhurst as some sort of alternate Collinwood completely unrelated to the daytime show's version.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
We need to deal with two scenes before we catch up to the slideshow:

88     EXT:  OLD HOUSE - DUSK                             88

Carolyn enters the shot and approaches the house as
       the sun is setting.  She knocks on the door.  There
       is no answer.

89     INT:  HALLWAY - OLD HOUSE - DUSK                   89

Carolyn enters the house.

CAROLYN
                 Barnabas!

Carolyn
                  Barnabas!

End of scenes as scripted. However, in the film things don't quite play entirely as scripted. When it comes to Scene 88, while there is a dissolve (though from Scene 86) to -

- Scene 88, there's no appearance of Carolyn whatsoever in the scene because it simply consists of a shot of the exterior of -

- the Old House with the trees slightly moving in the breeze. And when it comes to Scene 89, while Carolyn does indeed let herself into the Old House and call out to Barnabas, she quickly moves to the doorway to the drawing room where she calls out an unscripted -

"Anybody home?"

- (rather than the added call out to Barnabas again), and then after she turns -

- to look behind her, she quickly moves toward the stairs (and I love how the camera shifts to a shot of Carolyn's reflection in the glass covering a painting -

- as she comes up the stairs), and once she's reached the second floor, she moves to the doorway to a room and calls out an unscripted -

"Hello?"

- and after standing looking puzzled -

- for a few seconds, Carolyn moves on and after coming across a door and opening it, she calls out an unscripted -

"Barnabas?"

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The idea of Collinwood having 40 rooms occurs throughout the Ross novels. It even comes up in dialogue a few times. Presumably, he just carried that notion into the HODS adaptation.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
 [pointing-up]  Most likely. And it also might be likely that he had no idea that Lyndhurst had been picked to be Collinwood. And I know nowhere in the film do they say there are 40 (or more) rooms or closed off sections. But as fans of the daytime show, that's our ingrained expectation because it's so much a part of the type of house that Collinwood is on the daytime show, so it's an unspoken expectation with the films that eventually fans must let go of to fully accept Lyndhurst as Collinwood. Though thankfully the original movies are the only versions of DS in which dozens of rooms and closed off sections aren't expressly a part of Collinwood's history...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I forgot to mention that when it comes to the novelization of Scenes 88 and 89, the novel follows the script practically letter for letter.

Though, of course, when it comes to comparing the novelization to the film, it's a very different story because the film deviates quite a bit from the script...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the current scene:

90     INT:  BASEMENT - OLD HOUSE - DUSK                  90

Willie appears at the foot of the stairs. He reacts.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 33/Scene 90 - Carolyn (OS): 'Anybody home?'

- comes up.

And as far as differences with the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions go, Willie is actually at a far end of the basement when he reacts to hearing Carolyn, and as she calls out today's quote, as can be seen in today's capture, Willie -

- frantically runs through some cobwebs before stopping as Carolyn calls out an unscripted -

"Barnabas?"

- from off screen and then he runs to the stairs.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 90 and setting up the current scene:

Willie races up the stairs.

91     INT:  OLD HOUSE HALL, TOP OF STAIRS - DUSK         91

Willie enters.  Carolyn looks at him.  The scene will
       be played next to glass doors leading to basement.

CAROLYN
                 Oh, Willie, I'd heard this is
                 the job you'd gotten.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 33/Scene 91 - Willie: 'Yeh, well, Mr. Barnabas -- he ain't here --'

- comes up.

And as far as differences with the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions go, the beginning of Scene 90 isn't played against the doors at all because it isn't until Scene 90 that Willie actually runs up the stairs, and as he's running up is when Carolyn says his name, dropping the "Oh" -

- and it's when Willie just about reaches the top of the stairs that Carolyn mentions -

- that she'd heard he'd gotten this job - and as can be seen in today'd capture -

- the camera continues to shoot from below as Willie and Carolyn are still standing in the open doors to the basement when Willie actually says "Yeah" (as opposed to "Yeh") and pauses before actually adding "If it's Barnabas you want, he ain't here."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 91, beginning with Carolyn's response to Willie having told her that Barnabas isn't there:

CAROLYN
                 Oh?  The guest of honor should be
                 getting ready for the party.

WILLIE
                 That's what you should be doing,
                 ain't it? takes  her  in other   room

Carolyn looks beyond Willie to the basement doors.
       She senses his nervousness.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 33/Scene 91 - Carolyn: 'What's down there, Willie?'

- comes up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 33/Scene 91 - Willie: 'Nothing -- just the basement --'

- coming up.

And as far as differences with the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions go, I'll get into all that later...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
When it comes to the dialogue in the second half of Scene 91, the only thing that's different is that Willie actually actually replies at the end with "Nothing, nothing -- just the basement --"

And when it comes to the directions and descriptions, one thing that's different with the second half of Scene 91, as is obvious from Thursday's second capture, Willie does take Carolyn by the arm to move her -

- away from the doorway to the basement, but he doesn't actually take her to another room as DC's note indicates - plus Willie does so at the end of Scene 91 not after he tells her she should be getting ready for the party - and something that's very interesting about that is that DC's note for taking Carolyn to another room was originally written in his script after Willie tells Carolyn it's only the basement, but it was erased and moved up, yet it ends up taking place at the end of the scene anyway. And as is obvious from Thursday's first capture, Carolyn doesn't look beyond Willie to the basement doors because she and Willie are still standing in the open doors -

- when she actually turns to look down the stairs and ask what's downstairs. Also, DC has a notation in his script that there would be a close-up of Carolyn when she asks what's downstairs and that would pan to a close-up of Willie when he tells her it's only the basement - but obviously no such close-ups appear in the film.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Finally setting up Scene 92 (none of which appears in the slideshow):

92     INT:  BASEMENT - OLD HOUSE - DUSK                  92

Carolyn and Willie are silhouetted in the glass of the
       doors at the top of the stairs.  Their conversation can
       be heard over the following action.  CAMERA SLOWLY
       TRUCKS BACK until a closed coffin is framed in f.g.

WILLIE (OS)
                 I was just cleaning up.

CAROLYN (OS)
                 Tell me, Willie, how did you meet
                 Barnabas?

92     CONTD                                        CONTD 92

The coffin slowly starts to open.  Barnabas rises
       from the coffin.

WILLIE (OS)
                 Oh, I just kind of ran into him
                 at the Blue Whale.

And as far as differences with the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions go, I'll get into all that later...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
When it comes to the dialogue for Scene 92, after telling her in Scene 91 that it's just the basement, Willie actually tells Carolyn "I was, you know, just, like, cleaning up" - and then once Carolyn, exactly as scripted, asks Willie how he met Barnabas, Willie's first response is an unscripted "Huh?", which he follows with "Just sort of ran into him at the Blue Whale." But the really interesting thing is none of that dialogue takes place off screen. As Willie is telling Carolyn he was sort of cleaning, he begins -

- to close one side of the door - then as Carolyn asks how he met Barnabas, Willie stands -

- at the other side of the door - then as he replies with a -

"Huh?"

- he's just about closed the other side - and as he answers that he met Barnabas at the Blue Whale, we finally see both their silhouettes -

- centered in the pains of glass on each side of the door.

So, when it comes to the directions and descriptions, it isn't until after Carolyn and Willie complete all their dialogue that the camera slowly trucks back to show the closed coffin -

- framed in the foreground - and then we hear creaking as Barnabas' hand -

- comes from inside the coffin and his arm reaches up to -

- completely open the lid - though at no point does Barnabas rise from the coffin (most probably because it isn't Frid in the coffin - but we'll get into that once we see what the shooting schedule might say...).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Finally setting up the first part and the beginning of the second part of Scene 93 (as it's scripted and amended in DC's script, and none of which appears in the slideshow):

93     INT:  HALLWAY - OLD HOUSE - NIGHT                  93

Willie moves toward the drawing room.  Carolyn follows.

CAROLYN
                 And he offered you a job?  You

Break        and Barnabas at the Blue Whale.

speech       That's a scene I just can't quite

here_________picture.| Why didn't Barnabas come
  pick up        to Collinwood as soon as he came
  in Drawing     to town, Willie?
   room
                             WILLIE
                 I don't know, Carolyn.

CAROLYN
                 What do you know, Willie?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
When it comes to what's different in the portions of Scene 93 that we've covered so far, at the outset of the scene, Willie and Carolyn are actually seen up on the second floor against the doorway to the basement, not down in the hallway/foyer moving in any way toward the drawing room. In fact, Carolyn never says "And he offered you a job?" because the scene actually begins with Carolyn chuckling -

- and then she actually marvels "You and Barnabas having dinner together?" - and after Willie responds with an unscripted -

"Yeah"

- nodding his head and looking somewhat insulted, Carolyn chuckles again -

- prompting Willie to say an unscripted -

"Come on, Carolyn. Come with me."

- and then walk off, leaving Carolyn to actually observe that -

- "That's a scene I still can't quite believe", and then to shake her head and smile -

- to herself before also walking off.

Then things immediately switch to the drawing room where we see Willie examining -

- some of his tools while off screen Carolyn asks exactly as written why Barnabas didn't come to Collinwood as soon as he came to town - but Willie actually feigns -

- "Well, I don't know, Carolyn", prompting Carolyn to pointedly ask Willie, as scripted, -

- what he does know?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 93, beginning with Friday's quote -

Page 34/Scene 93 - Barnabas (OS): 'Carolyn! What an unexpected pleasure!'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

CLOSE-UP BARNABAS

At the drawing room door.  He crosses to Carolyn.

And that's when Saturday's quote -

Page 34/Scene 93 - Barnabas: 'Have you come to see how we're doing? I don't think you need to work any longer, Willie.'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

Willie exits up the stairs.                     

End of scene - though certainly not end of sequence. And as usual things don't quite play exactly that way in the film.

When it comes to the dialogue, it's actually all delivered as written. However, beyond the differences in the directions and descriptions, there's actually a lot more to them. To start off, Carolyn immediately turns her head to -

- the doorway upon hearing her name called from off screen - but then as can be seen in Friday's capture for the slideshow, Barnabas comes on screen, though not in close-up, as he moves toward Carolyn -

- while telling her what an unexpected pleasure it is to see her, after which there's a close-up of Willie looking as if he's -

- quite concerned for Carolyn's safety - and then while Barnabas asks Carolyn if she's come to see how they're doing -

- he looks at her, but after she nods in the affirmative, Barn, as can be seen in Saturday's capture for the slideshow, turns toward Willie to -

- tell him he needn't work any longer - and after Carolyn also -

- turns toward Willie, he nods and picks up a paint can, and he still has -

- the expression of concern on his face. And that's the actual end of Scene 93. Willie does not leave the room quite yet...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the first part of Scene 94 (as it's scripted and notated in DC's script), beginning with Sunday's quote -

Page 34/Scene 94 - Carolyn: 'I'm fascinated, Barnabas. We all are. The restoration is really coming along.'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

BARNABAS
                 Thank you, Carolyn.

CAROLYN
                 Tell me ... did the original
                 Barnabas live in that house on
                 Cadogan Square?

94     CONTD                                        CONTD 94

BARNABAS x to look at Willie's work
                 No, he settled in Coventry.  The
                 family place was destroyed during
                 the war.

And that's when Monday's first quote -

Page 35/Scene 94 - Carolyn: 'I shall be in London this summer. You must give me people to look up --'

- comes up, followed by Monday's second quote -

Page 35/Scene 94 - Barnabas: 'I'll be delighted to --'

- coming up.

And as far as any difference in the dialogue goes, the only thing is that Carolyn adds the word "some" to Monday's quote, as in "...give me some people to look up." And I have to say I've always been fascinated by Barnabas replying to that by saying he'd be delighted to. Just what was Frid's subtext when he said that as Barnabas because quite obviously Barnabas couldn't give Carolyn anyone to look up. Did he justify it by presuming Barnabas played along for the moment but later he would simply come up with some excuse? Or did he think Barnabas was as fascinated with Carolyn as she obviously was with him and he already had in the back of his mind that he'd take care of her too overt interest in him by attacking her?[spoiler]Though if he reasoned Barnabas' hope was the latter, that will certainly backfire on him!![/spoiler]

And when it comes to the direction in this part of the scene, after Carolyn mentions to Barnabas that she's fascinated, we see Willie stop to turn back -

- to look at them while Carolyn continues to explain that they're all fascinated, and it isn't until after she says that that Willie actually leaves the room (we don't see him go up the stairs) - and as Carolyn remarks that the restoration is really coming along, as can be seen in Sunday's capture for the slideshow, she turns -

- to look around the room - and even though DC has a note in his script that Carolyn would begin to "walk around" as she remarks on her fascination with the restoration, it isn't until after she completes all of Sunday's quote that she starts to do so - and it's quite interesting how there's a shot of Barnabas keeping a careful eye -

- on her (as if he's possibly already aware that Carolyn's fascination extends not just to the house but to him as well and she could prove to be a problem (there's that question of subtext again)) while she asks if the "original" Barnabas lived on Cadogan Square as she examines a piece -

- and unlike DC's notation in the script, Barnabas does not cross to examine Willie's work because he's off screen as he explains how the "original" Barnabas lived in Coventry and that house was destroyed (such a convenient detail to throw in!! [wink2]) as on camera Carolyn moves to begin to examine a chair -

- more closely before she turns back to look at Barnabas, as depicted in Monday's first capture for the slideshow, while she mentions that -

-she'll be in England and asks for some people to look up (and DC's script has a note for that that Carolyn would cross to Barnabas when she asks that, but she actually remains at the chair) - and Barnabas, as depicted in Monday's second capture for the slideshow, not betraying a thing, simply walks over to another chair in the room -

- and says he'd be delighted.