Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87399 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The movie seems to be divided in two sections. After Carolyn is staked, a lot of characters are no longer part of the movie. Besides Carolyn, Todd and Daphne are gone. And Elizabeth and David are glorified cameos from that point. And the movie becomes much more centered around Barnabas. Kind of like the series.
The excerpt from the novelization shows a somewhat more feisty Maggie. She's not always showing the best judgment but she isn't a complete pushover either. And it also shows a certain tension between her and Jeff.
I'm genuinely sorry that the line You see dark shadows everywhere didn't make it into the film. It would have become the definitive DS meme.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Trust me, everyone is going to feel pretty foolish if I have to be the one to give the answer.  [nodassent]  Although, it struck me a couple of days ago that there could be a reason for why what's missing is missing. But IMO it would be an exceedingly odd reason - one I have never come across in any of the dozens of vampire films I've seen...

I realized immediately what you were talking about when you first posted about it, MB, but I never gave it much thought because I considered it a run-of-the-mill continuity error.

But now that you mention "an exceedingly odd reason", it makes perfect sense to me! If not only Barnabas himself but also his clothing fails to cast a reflection, then it only stands to reason (as much as any of this can stand to reason!) that his cloak would not cast a reflection either. But I wonder what the limit is on how far away a vampire's personal effects can be from the vampire itself for them to not show up in a mirror?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
KMR - thanks for proving to me that everyone here isn't blind - which is something I was beginning to wonder!  [easter_wink]  [easter_cheesy]

As as much as I'd like to think it was intentional, I'm afraid I have a hard time thinking that Roger not holding Barn's cape wasn't just a continuity error. Your theory, which was indeed what I was thinking, is just too exceedingly odd and way too clever to imagine that Barnabas' cape being invisible even when it's not on his body was something they deliberately did. Especially, as I said, because I've never come across it done in any of the dozens of vampire films I've ever seen...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm genuinely sorry that the line You see dark shadows everywhere didn't make it into the film. It would have become the definitive DS meme.

I had the same thought. But then I wondered if back in the day, when there was no Internet and spreading memes wasn't even a thing, would we have thought it was too corny?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A scene in DC's script that we need to deal with before we come to tomorrow's quote in the slideshow:

143    INT:  CELLAR - OLD HOUSE - NIGHT                   143

FULL SHOT of the stairs.  We hear THE DOOR OPEN ABOVE,
       then hear FOOTSTEPS ON THE STAIRS.  In a moment we see
       Barnabas descending.  He sees no one when he enters.

BARNABAS
                 Carolyn, where are you?

He waits.  There is no response.  He moves along the
       corridor TOWARD CAMERA.

BARNABAS
                 Carolyn, are you here?!

143    CONTD                                        CONTD 143

He gets very CLOSE to CAMERA, then stops abruptly and
       stares at something O.S. directly ahead.

End of scene - though certainly not end of sequence.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, things play somewhat similarly in the film. The scene does indeed open with a full shot of the stairs, but we do not hear the door open above, though we do hear footsteps on the stairs because Barnabas' silhouette is already seen on the stairs as he has almost finished rushing down them -

- as he actually calls out "Carolyn!" - and then soon he comes into the light, not really having any sort of opportunity to see much of anything because he doesn't stop or really wait for a response before he begins to call out again -

- as he continues rushing along, but he only gets so far as actually saying "Carolyn, where--?" before he comes to an abrupt stop -

- and shocked, stares ahead of him at something off screen.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I posted before seeing the next page of replies.  I tried deleting it, so hopefully this will appear instead of my original reply!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I neglected to mention that the beginning of the cellar scene in the novelization is almost exactly the same as in DC's script, so there's no need to share it here. However, before getting to the cellar there is something in the novel that doesn't appear in DC's script - but I'm going to hold off on getting into that until I do the shooting script chart for Scenes 141 through 160. And that's going to be a lot sooner than anyone might think because 12 of those scenes have no dialogue and, therefore, nothing to quote, so for the most part we're going to go whizzing past most of them...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up as well as wrapping up the current scene/sequence:

144    BARNABAS - WILLIE - LOW ANGLE                      144

Willie lies on the floor in the extreme F.G. as Barnabas
       runs and kneels beside him.  Willie stirs, there is
       blood running from his neck, he opens his eyes and looks
       up at Barnabas.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 66/Scene 144 - Barnabas: 'Willie! Where is she?!'

- comes up.

End of scene - and end of sequence.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, things play a bit more interestingly in the film. From Barnabas shocked reaction at the end of Scene 143, the camera whips pans to begin Scene 144 with a shot of Carolyn's coffin with -

- Willie's arm sticking out of it (and it's nice to see that Carolyn's coffin is at least on planks and not directly on the floor - after all, we wouldn't want her to catch cold [b003]) - and then we see Barnabas rush to open the coffin and reveal Willie and shortly he delivers an unscripted -

"Willie!"

- whereupon he then bends over Willie, lifts him up, and sees -

- the bite wound on Willie's neck (and I have to say the bite wounds in the film -

- are really quite spectacular compared to the two fang holes on the daytime show and even on some of the shows of today) - and after examining the wound very closely (which one wonders why he fells the need to do because it's not like he of all people wouldn't know what it means (and it isn't so that the audience can see it better because while he examines it, it isn't as clearly on screen as it has been), Barnabas takes Willie by the lapels and after Willie opens his eyes and looks at him Barnabas asks today's quote, which he actually delivers as a somewhat less panicky "Willie, where's Carolyn?", but Willie nods his head in the negative and in a very weak whisper replies with an unscripted -

"I don't know."

- before his head falls down to his chest - and judging by the expression on his face, that causes Barnabas to go into a deep panic -

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
While the attack on Willie certainly appears to be brutal, he is actually in better shape than Carolyn was under a similar attack from Barnabas. Either Carolyn remembered that Willie did try to help her or, more likely, she just wanted to get him out of her way so that she could get to Todd.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Even though the novelization of Scene 144 is very close to DC's script, in one way it's actually closer to how things go down in the film:

"Willie!" Barnabas exclaimed. And he knelt by him.
  There was blood running from Willie's neck. He
opened his eyes and looked up at Barnabas despairingly.
There was no need for him to tell Barnabas what had
happened. It was all too clear.
  Barnabas demanded urgently, "Willie! Where is she?"

So, presumably what is an unscripted "Willie!" when it comes to DC's script is something that was actually included in the script used for the novel. And once again we have an example of something from a previous script version making its way into the film...

And I love how it says that it was all too clear what happened to Willie. But apparently in the film Barnabas wanted to make sure for himself that it was very clear. I doubt even Julia would have made as close an examination of Willie neck!!  [ghost_nowink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Either Carolyn remembered that Willie did try to help her or, more likely, she just wanted to get him out of her way so that she could get to Todd.

If Carolyn hadn't been staked, wouldn't it have been fascinating to see how having been bitten by both Barnabas and Carolyn would have affected Willie? Would he have been beholden to both? Or would he have only been beholden to Carolyn because she was the vampire who most recently attacked him? We know Willie is still beholden to Barnabas after Carolyn's gone - but would that be because she's gone so Willie just reverts back to Barnabas? Or as Carolyn's maker, would Barnabas' attack automatically supersede hers?

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
I like to think that it would have turned into a Duck Season/Rabbit Season tug of war.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
 [pointing-up]  I would have honestly liked to have seen that. But alas...

I can't think of any vampire book, TV show or film where one person was bitten by two different vampires and how that played out with the victim was explored. I wonder if it's a situation that has ever even been explored? If not, it's just begging to be...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another scene in DC's script that we need to deal with before we come to tomorrow's quote in the slideshow:

145    INT:  COLLINWOOD - SECOND FLOOR CORRIDOR - NIGHT   145

CAMERA IS TIGHT on a DEPUTY, TRUCKING IN FRONT OF HIM
       as he walks down the corridor to Todd's room.  He
NOTES  opens Todd's door as SHOT WIDENS revealing Todd lying
  ON   in bed.  Another DEPUTY is standing beside bed.  The
 OTHER  two deputies nod to each other.  The first deputy
  SIDE  closes the door and starts walking along corridor in
       opposite direction, passing the CAMERA, which then
       starts to TRUCK AFTER HIM.  When he reaches door to
       Sheriff's headquarters, we see the Sheriff and Stokes
       sitting there in front of a two-way radio.  The room
       has been set up as a base of operations.

DEPUTY
                 Everything's fine.  He's sleeping.

End of scene - though certainly not end of sequence.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, the directions, and the notations, the interesting thing here is in DC's script this scene has a box drawn around it and an X drawn in the box, which usually means DC didn't plan to shoot it - but a version of it does appear in the film. And unfortunately, whatever notes referred to that are on the "other side" aren't in the DS Movie Book, so we have no way of knowing what they are. But what we do know is that in the version of the scene that appears in the film, after the shadow of a man coming from the stairwell appears on the floor of -

- the second floor corridor, a deputy emerges -

- from the stairwell and makes his way to -

- the first room on his left, where the door is already open - and as he enters the room he asks "Is everything okay?", a reworking of the dialogue in the script, as Todd comes into view lying asleep in his bed and we see another deputy sitting in a chair by Todd's bed -

- and after the second deputy nods in the affirmative, the first deputy nods to him and turns to -

- make his way out.

The end. No going to the room being used as the Sheriff's base of operations.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The only thing that's at all different with regard to Scene 145 in the novelization comes up after the deputy reports to Sheriff Patterson and Stokes:

Entering the temporary base of operations, the deputy
found the sheriff and the Professor seated by the radio.
"Everything's fine," he reported. "He's still sleeping."
  "Good," the sheriff said, "Keep a sharp eye on every-
thing."
  The deputy nodded. "Yes, sir." And he went back
to his station in the corridor.

Although, once we get to Scene 146 in DC's script, a part at the end of that may be considered to be part of Scene 146. But regardless, it's still different from what's in DC's script...