Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87389 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Oops - I forgot to say some things:

It's interesting that there aren't any deputies listed on the schedule for original Scene 138, yet they are referred to in the script (well, at least in DC's script and the version of the script used for the novelization), yet there isn't a deputy referred to in the script (at least in DC's script or the novelization) for Scene 140 but he is listed on the schedule.

It's also interesting that any scenes involving cars, with the exception of Jeff finding Daphne, were either never shot or pulled from the script.

And I wonder if they had any DS actor(s) in mind for the "ancient clerk" at the sheriff's office while that scene was still a part of the script? It seems like something Abe Vigoda might have played or Ronald Dawson, who played the record's clerk in 1995, but he hadn't been cast in that role before hoDS was shot...

And as I said before, but now that we know the scene was definitely in the script at one time, it bears repeating that I think we were really cheated out of not being able to see Dennis Patrick's face when Roger uses a dream as an excuse for the sheriff to check the contents of Carolyn's coffin. I'm sure it would have been an absolutely priceless moment!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the current scene:

141    They all turn as Julia ENTERS FROM CORRIDOR        141

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 62/Scene 141 - Julia: 'I'm afraid that won't be possible tonight. I've just given her another sedative. She's sleeping now.'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

Julia crosses directly to the other side of the room 
       to get her purse. She takes a compact out of it.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, the directions, and the notations, there's a notations after today's quote from Barnabas that says "he admires something turns", and he may very well admire something on the table, but if he does, we have no idea what it is, but he does turn along -

- with everyone else in the room when they hear Julia actually say off screen "I'm afraid that's not possible now" - and then, as we can see from today's second capture, the camera shifts angles to show Julia as she enters the room -

- from the corridor, and as she makes her way across the room as she actually continues with "I've just given her another sedative and she's sleeping again", and, in fact, there's a notation in DC's script that reads: "Delivers on the cross" - and she does indeed stop at the table to -

- reach for her purse, but we've yet to see her open it.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Grayson walking into the room with hands clasped and reaching for her purse--another brief moment when we're again in the world of DARK SHADOWS.

Fabulous captures, MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Grayson walking into the room with hands clasped and reaching for her purse--another brief moment when we're again in the world of DARK SHADOWS.

Especially after having just sedated someone!!  [b003]

Though, given the way the film plays, anyone who hasn't read the script or the novelization might think Liz is still upset over Carolyn's death and the dinner conversation after her funeral - which is certainly more than enough to still be upsetting her. But the truth is Liz has just gone through the ordeal of having Carolyn's coffin exhumed and learning it's empty.[spoiler]Not to mention that fact that hasn't been revealed yet but which Liz is likely to be aware of that Todd is being treated at Collinwood in an effort to lure vampire Carolyn there.[/spoiler]No wonder she needs sedating!!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
"Another sedative?!?" No wonder the poor woman is [spoiler]so vegged out later on[/spoiler]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I realize I might be the only one who was unaware of this until today while I was picking out captures for posts, but I honestly never noticed until today that there's a bear rug on the floor of the drawing room. It's briefly seen twice. The first is when Julia enters the drawing room:

I'm not really surprised that I'd missed it because as I've mentioned before I'm always focused on the characters whenever I'm watching something, so something in the background - particularly something that's not even in focus and passes by on screen very quickly - may not make any sort of impression on me. But am I the only one who's missed seeing the rug all these years?

Somehow I can't even begin to imagine a bear rug on the floor of the drawing room of the daytime show. But they do live in Maine. And some Collins somewhere along the way was surely a hunter. So I don't know why it should surprise me if there was one. Such things were still fashionable in the '60s and '70s...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
"Another sedative?!?" No wonder the poor woman is[spoiler]so vegged out later on[/spoiler]

I never thought of it that way - but you're completely right!!  [nodassent]  We might be able to place a good portion of the blame on Julia and her sedatives!!  [lghy]

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Julia should have given a couple of those sedatives to Jeff Clark as well.   [easter_azn]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 141:

MAGGIE
                 Julia, how is Todd?

JULIA
                 About the same. He's sleeping now.

BARNABAS
                 Oh? You've moved Todd here?

JULIA
                 Yes.                                  Start
                                                       Truck
                             BARNABAS                 CUB
                 Is that wise?

JULIA - CLOSE SHOT

JULIA
                 Yes, we think it is.
                             (MORE)

Jeff    crosses   into    shot

141    CONTD                                        CONTD 141

And that's when yesterday's quote -

Page 63/Scene 141 - Julia (Contd): 'Eliot Stokes feels that Carolyn will try to get to Todd tonight.'

- comes up followed in the script by:

BARNABAS (OS
Oh, I see.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, the directions, and the notations, Julia is fiddling in her purse as she answers Maggie's question about Todd -

- which she delivers as "About the same. He's sleeping too" (and look what's on view again -

- in the background) - and when Barnabas comments on Todd being at Collinwood, he actually asks "You brought him here?" and he's seen in a three shot over -

- Julia's shoulder - and after Julia replies in the affirmative, there is no trucking into a close-up of Barn because the camera -

- remains with the same shot when he actually asks "Oh, is that wise?" - and even though DC crossed out in his script that Julia would then be seen in a close shot, yesterday's capture clearly shows that -

- she is indeed seen that way while she actually says "Well, we think it very wise" and she delivers yesterday's quote - and even though DC added a notation that Jeff would cross into the shot as Julia is speaking, obviously that doesn't take place (what a shame! [b003]) with Julia remaining in close-up - and after that Barnabas is seen in a close-up of his -

- profile when he says that he sees and which is changed from him delivering the line off screen (and Jeff still remains in the background).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with more of Scene 141:

Julia has opened her compact and is fixing her face in
       the mirror.

And that's when yesterday's first quote -

Page 63/Scene 141 - Maggie: 'I don't even want to think about it. I just wish they'd find the one who started it all.'

- comes up followed in the script by:

JULIA'S POV - ROGER AND JEFF
       JULIA     PICKS    UP    COMPACT    TURNS    TO    CAM
        BARN X  AWAY

And that's when yesterday's second quote -

Page 63/Scene 141 - Roger: 'They'll find him, don't worry.'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, the directions, and the notations, given that it's crossed out, it is indeed true that we don't see that Julia has opened her compact and is fixing her face in the mirror because it's not happening - in fact, Barnabas is still on screen just as he is in the last capture in reply #548 and Maggie can't really be seen when she stands and says "I just wish" because she's behind him, and she doesn't come into view, albeit, not in focus, until she actually says "they'd find the one who caused all this" (the "I don't even want to think about it" part of her quote is dropped) - but Maggie does come into focus when she looks over -

- at Barnabas as he turns to look at her - but he soon turns away and reacts to what she's said by looking guilty as hell (one of the very few moments we get a fleeting glimpse of the daytime version of Barn) -

- and after that, as it's also been crossed out, we don't see Julia's POV of Roger and Jeff, nor do we see, as indicated in DC's note in his script, that Julia picks up her compact and turns to the camera - and also, rather than Roger delivering today's second quote, which is actually dropped in the film, we do actually see, as indicated in DC's note, Barnabas turn -

- toward Roger and begin to walk over to Roger as Roger simply sighs and Barnabas asks an unscripted -

"Have they discovered anything else?"

- to which Roger nods his head in the negative and says an unscripted -

"No, they haven't."

- and as can be seen, at that point Julia has actually taken out her compact and is beginning to look into the mirror.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 141, beginning with yesterday's first quote -

Page 63/Scene 141 - Roger: 'Jeff, I hope you're not planning to go back to your studio tonight.'

- coming up, followed by yesterday's second quote -

Page 63/Scene 141 - Jeff: 'No, Mrs. Johnson has fixed a room for me.'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

ROGER                     TRUCK  IN
                       Good.                                  CU  Julia
                            (he crosses to Barnabas)         for  reaction
                                                             Rack  focus
                                                            to them

And that's when today's quote -

Page 63/Scene 141 - Roger: 'Barnabas, I think you should stay the night at Collinwood, too.'

- comes up.

End of scene - though certainly not end of sequence.

And when it comes to the dialogue, and the notations, Roger actually delivers yesterday's first quote as "Jeff, you're not planning to go back to your studio tonight, are you?", and as he does so, as we can see in yesterday's first capture, Julia seems to be puzzled a bit by -

- something in her compact's mirror - and as Jeff crosses to Barn and Roger and he actually replies to Roger with "No I'm not. Mrs. Johnson has fixed a room for me upstairs", as we can see in yesterday's second capture, Julia's puzzlement has -

-  turned to shock - but after tells Jeff that's good, there's no need for Roger to cross to Barnabas because it's quite obvious that Barnabas has already been standing beside Roger - and despite DC's notation, there's is no truck in for a close-up of Julia's reaction because, as Roger actually delivers today's quote as "Barnabas, I think you'd better stay the night at Collinwood, too", and as can be seen in today's capture, the camera stays with the same shot as Julia turns to look at the three men -

- and even after that there is no rack focus from Julia to them (though a different opportunity for the camera to rack focus will be coming up very soon).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the current scene:

142    JULIA - MEDIUM ANGLE                               142

as she turns away from camera to continue fixing her
       face.  CAMERA MOVES IN over her shoulder and we see
       her reflection in the small mirror.  As the other go
       on talking her face suddenly goes white.  She sees
       something that sends a chill through.  She angles
       the mirror slightly in such a way that we can see the
       group on the opposite side of the room.  We can see
       Roger addressing Barnabas -- but there is no reflection
       of Barnabas.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 63/Scene 142 - Barnabas (OS): 'No, I must get back to the old house. I have work to do.'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, while we've been seeing Julia reacting to something she sees in her compact's mirror, things haven't been playing out quite like they're explained in the script, and we have yet to see anything reflected in the mirror, and the camera angle has remained steady throughout - in fact, as we can see in today's capture, we see Julia, who has now turned back to look into her compact's mirror again, with Jeff, Barnabas and Roger in the background in the exact same sort of shot -

- as Barnabas delivers most of today's quote, which he does exactly as scripted on mostly on screen - however when it comes to Barnabas saying the portion "work to do", that's when the camera shot changes to what Julia sees in her mirror and we do indeed see that Barnabas -

- casts no reflection there and Julia's actions become clear... (And who can spot what's missing from the shot of the reflection? Today was honestly the first time I'd noticed... Apparently, just as with the daytime show, DC wasn't willing to pay for someone to keep track of continuity. Should we be shocked? Hardly!)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 142:

|
                                                              |
         Julia turns around and looks at the group.          V
                                                            Whip
                                                            Pan

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 63/Scene 142 - Roger (OS): 'But it's dangerous going through those woods alone!'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

142    CONTD                                        CONTD 142
       During this, CAMERA WHIP PANS TO the two men.  We see
       Barnabas standing there as before.
                                               REVERSE
       JULIA - CAMERA ZOOMS IN TO CLOSE-UP     WIDE

She turns again and looks in the mirror.  Again there
       is no reflection of Barnabas.  She closes the compact
       and stands there frozen.

GROUP SHOT - JULIA IN F.G.
                      Maggie    X  into  shot

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 64/Scene 142 - Barnabas: 'On the way here I encountered half a dozen of the sheriff's deputies. The estate is being well patrolled. Nothing will happen to me. Goodnight.'

- comes up, and after that quote DC has added a notation that "Julia turns to face them."

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, the directions, and the notations, things are somewhat different from the way the script lays them out. Right after we first see the reflection in Julia's mirror, in reply to Barnabas saying he must get back to the old house, Roger actually delivers an unscripted -

"But you've only just arrived."

- and then Roger immediately follows that, still onscreen, as can be seen in today's first capture -

- with today's first quote, which he actually delivers as "You know how dangerous it is going through those woods" - and then, still not seen in Julia's mirror, Barnabas replies with an unscripted -

"I don't think there's anything to be concerned about."

- as Julia slowly turns to look back at them - and then after a whip pan things return to the previous camera shot, but interestingly enough, glimpses of Maggie's body can be seen behind Julia, so at some point Maggie did indeed cross into the shot, but we never actually saw it - and after Barnabas says an unscripted -

"And actually, I hadn't planned to stay."

- he soon touches Roger's arm and adds an unscripted -

"Now, don't worry."

- before Julia turns somewhat back and, as can be seen in today's second capture, is in deep thought -

- as Barnabas actually delivers today's second quote as "On my way over, I ran into at least half a dozen of the sheriff's deputies. The whole area's being well protected. I'll be all right" (and there's a notation in DC's script to change "patrolled" to "protected"), and Julia does indeed turn to face them before Barnabas finishes with -

- "Goodnight" as the camera begins to rack focus from Julia to the three men.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up the portion of Scene 142 that actually appears in the film, beginning with today's first quote -

Page 64/Scene 142 - Maggie: 'Goodnight, Barnabas.'

- coming up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 64/Scene 142 - Barnabas: 'Goodnight, my dear.'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

He takes her hand and kisses it. Barn             |
  Need                     Goodnight    Julia  - Jeff            |
off camera JEFF - CLOSE UP                                    |
ad libbing                                                    |
Rog + Barn He gives him a steely eyed look.                   |
door slam                                  Barn + Roger        |
 footsteps  BARNABAS - ROGER                  exit             V
 of roger
 going up  as they exit into the foyer.                     Tighten
  hall

End of Scene 142 as it appears in the film.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, the directions, and the notations, I love the expression on Barnabas' face when he looks -

- back at Jeff (RD has to step back for Frid to even begin to turn around, so it's like Frid is asking RD why the hell he was standing so close to him?!), though he does nod a goodnight to Jeff - and as we can see in today's first capture, when Maggie bids Barnabas a goodnight, which she actually delivers as "Goodnight, Mr. Collins", not "Barnabas", as scripted, she is indeed standing -

- next to Jeff - and then after Barnabas simply says "Goodnight" to her, dropping the "my dear" and finishes kissing Maggie's hand, off screen Roger delivers an unscripted -

"Well, at least let me walk you down the drive."

- and that amounts to the only ad libbing that's done - and I absolutely love the shot of Julia -

- as the scene closes - so that means that nothing else that's in the script for this section regarding Jeff or Barnabas and Roger or the tightening of the camera shot actually takes place in the film, so either all of it was never shot or it all just ended up on the cutting room floor - but there is more to Scene 142 that was shot and which definitely did end up on the cutting room floor, and that will begin in tomorrow's slideshow...