Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87892 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Is that room at Beechwood, or Lockwood Mathews?
I believe that except for the foyer/staircase (which I absolutely LOVE), the Old House interiors were filmed at Lockwood Mathews. But I could be wrong, of course.

I have no idea. The shooting schedule has Scene 113 as it was originally to be staged in the Old House's basement, and we know the basement scenes were shot at Beechwood. But you were correct, KMR, that the bedroom Maggie is locked in is at Lockwood-Mathews, so you may also be correct that Josette's room is there as well. I suppose only the fans who have been inside both houses can tell for sure...

Well, actually, there is another way to find definitive proof that Josette's room is part of Lockwood-Mathews and I found it today.

After I saw the shot of Willie standing in front of the rounded bay windows, it struck me that Lockward-Mathews has such features:

So, I did a search for Lockwood-Mathews which brought up this great Web site - and on the site an entire section is devoted to the room that was used as Josette's room: Moorish Room

There's no doubt whatsoever that it's the room.  [ghost_nowink]  The photos not only feature almost the exact same ceiling view as the capture of Willie in reply 369, but the slideshow also features the fireplace. And quite possibly the rounded bay window featured in the exterior photo that I've posted in this topic is indeed the room from the outside...

It would be interesting to see if anyone with some extra time on their hands could browse the site to see if they could find proof that any of the other suspected rooms/areas at Lockwood-Mathews were indeed used in hoDS. Obviously we know they shot in the rotunda, but maybe those cellar doors could be found... Or the room Maggie was locked in...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
That's a great discovery, MB!

I seem to recall that there was a week of shooting at Lockwood after all the work at Lyndhurst had been done, so all of this came at the end of the work on the film, which is interesting to know.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 113:

Rev. 4/27/70

113    CONT'D                                             113

And that's when yesterday's first quote -

Page 45/Scene 113 - Barnabas (cont'd): 'Because tonight I found her, Willie. Tonight, I found Josette and this time there will be that wedding.'

- comes up, followed by yesterday's second quote -

Page 45/Scene 113 - Willie: 'What are you talking about, Barnabas? You don't mean Maggie Evans, do you? Barnabas, she's not some reincarnation of Josette. Even if she does look like her.'

- coming up.

End of scene - though certainly not end of sequence.

And when it comes to the dialogue, directions, and notations, Barnabas' quote is actually delivered as "Because tonight I have found her again, Willie. I have found my Josette. And this time, there will be that wedding", and as we can see in yesterday's first capture, rather than the 2 shot that DC's notation mentioned yesterday indicates, Barnabas is seen -

- in a single shot - and Willie is also seen in a single shot while he delivers -

- the first part of his quote as "Hey, you don't mean Maggie Evans?" before we see a shot of Barnabas with his expression showing that he clearly does -

- mean Maggie - and DC has a notation that indicates Willie would then cross to Josette's portrait, which he does do as the camera pans him as he crosses -

- in front of Barnabas as he actually says "Barnabas, now, she ain't no reincarnation of Josette" and, as we can see in yesterday's second capture, he finishes up standing in front -

- of the portrait - and we're going to hold off on the rest of Willie's quote because it was moved to play over the very beginning of Scene 114...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the current scene:

114    The DOOR SWINGS open.  Carolyn enters.               

And that's when yesterday's quote -

Page 45/Scene 114 - Carolyn: 'I won't let you do it, Barnabas.'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the directions, the descriptions, and the notations, what actually happens is that we see Carolyn at the door while Willie -

- delivers the last part of his lines that are scripted to take place in Scene 113 before any of Scene 114 happens, and he actually delivers that last line as "I mean, even if she does look like her" - and one thing that's interesting is that DC has a notation that there would be a whip pan from Willie to Carolyn, but quite obviously that isn't how things play in the film because as we can see above and in yesterday's capture, Carolyn simply -

- pushes the door open, which also makes it obvious that the door doesn't swing open before we see Carolyn - and when it comes to Carolyn's quote, she delivers it exactly as scripted.

And when it comes to the missing whip pan, it would be interesting to know why it and a lot of similar camera work/tricks in DC's notations in his script never do appear in the film. Were they never shot because Lela Swift talked DC out them? Were they shot but Arline Garson, who was the Film Editor, simply chose not to use them and/or to edit around them? Or were they in the film at one time but both Arline Garson and DC decided the film worked better without them? I suppose that most likely we'll never know...

And speaking of Arline Garson, I just discovered that she passed away on September 5th of last year. Her NYT obit describes her as a "cutting edge film editor."

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This sequence is quite interesting to me. Though Carolyn is certainly in his thrall, she is nowhere near as passive and submissive as most of his other victims. The TV vampires seem to be much more in control of their prey than the HODS Barnabas. Nor does he have any success in controlling [spoiler]vampire Carolyn [/spoiler].
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That's quite an interesting observation, Uncle Roger. So the movie version of Barnabas seems more ruthless and violent, but at the same time less powerful...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OK, I took a look at the Blu-ray last night, and checked out the staircase to the basement of the Old House. In "real life" this staircase is directly below the lower flight of the grand staircase in Lockwood-Mathews (that's the stairs that we see Maggie walking down to Barnabas who stands on the fog-covered floor of the rotunda). The door that Willie closes at the top of the basement stairs is actually a door to a small room directly across from the top of those stairs. That room has a semicircular wall, just like in Josette's room--but it's on the opposite side of the house.

I've attached an image that I found online, showing the exterior of that side of the house. (I don't know how to insert the image into the post.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
 [pointing-up]  Very interesting KMR! I wonder if there are any photos on the Lockwood-Mathews Museum Web site that show those doors?

And thanks for attaching the photo - I don't think I've ever seen that side of the house...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This sequence is quite interesting to me. Though Carolyn is certainly in his thrall, she is nowhere near as passive and submissive as most of his other victims. The TV vampires seem to be much more in control of their prey than the HODS Barnabas.

I've wondered about that too. Could Carolyn's violent objection to Barnabas wanting to become involved with Maggie have anything to do with the fact that Carolyn was already majorly obsessed with Barnabas before he attacked her? When it came to the vampire victims on the daytime show, few were even the slightest bit (no pun intended) obsessed with their vampire attackers. One could say that probably the only one who had an obsession was[spoiler]Lamar for Roxanne[/spoiler]but that didn't last long enough for[spoiler]Lamar to become jealous of some other relationship Roxanne might have had...[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 114, starting with yesterday's first quote, Barnabas' first admonishment of Carolyn -

Page 45/Scene 114 - Barnabas: 'How dare you follow me to this house? I did not summon you!'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

She starts to enter.                           

And that's when yesterday's second quote -

Page 45/Scene 114 - Barnabas: 'Don't you dare enter this room!'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the directions, the descriptions, and the notations, DC has a notation right after Carolyn's quote from Monday that indicates that Barnabas would be seen in close-up when he delivers yesterday's first quote, the only thing of which he changes is "do not" to "don't", however, as can be seen in yesterday's first capture, Barnabas is seen in what would more likely be described as -

- a medium shot (and note that behind him it does look like there's a bed in the room) - and when Barnabas delivers yesterday's second quote, which he actually delivers as "Don't come in this room!" (which is too bad because I like "Don't you dare enter this room!" better), as can be seen in yesterday's second capture, it's Carolyn who's -

- on screen and not Barnabas.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 114:

Carolyn keeps on coming.                       

And that's when yesterday's first quote -

Page 45/Scene 114 - Carolyn: 'You love me, Barnabas. Not her.'

- comes up, followed by yesterday's second quote -

Page 45/Scene 114 - Barnabas: 'I will not have you speak of love here!'

- coming up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the directions, the descriptions, and any notations, it's interesting that the script doesn't mention, nor does DC have a notation that indicates that Willie tries to block Carolyn's advance toward Barnabas but Carolyn pushes Willie -

- out of the way - and when it comes to yesterday's quote, they're each delivered exactly as scripted, which is a rarity of late...

And it's funny that until doing captures for this scene, I'd never noticed that there's a decanter of liquor on top of the circle settee, or that that top could apparently be used as a table...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
It strikes me as odd that Carolyn is able to be so openly defiant of Barnabas here and that he is largely unable to exert control over her. While we don't see enough of Daphne to see how she behaves, I think it's interesting that Carolyn is able to defy Barnabas but, at this point, Willie is not. [spoiler]The attacks on Roger and Eliot occur offscreen, so it's very difficult to assess their victim phase. But Maggie reacts completely differently than the others. While the TV Maggie seemed to be fighting a losing battle at times, she wasn't as passive as HODS Maggie. It's like he slipped her a roofie. It would have been interesting to see what kind of vampire she would have made.[/spoiler]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
[spoiler]While the TV Maggie seemed to be fighting a losing battle at times, she wasn't as passive as HODS Maggie. It's like he slipped her a roofie.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yes, who knows why she's seems to be completely catatonic?![/spoiler]

Perhaps Barnabas' bite was somehow able to exert different controls of his choosing. And when it came to Carolyn, given her already existing obsession, he didn't think he needed to go as far with her as he did with Willie. If so, that decision certainly backfired big time!!

[spoiler]It would have been interesting to see what kind of vampire she would have made.[/spoiler]

Most definitely!!

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Perhaps the bite was more powerful when Barnabas was simply trying to control one victim at a time. His control seemed less secure when he was attempting to control Willie and Carolyn simultaneously. Vampires apparently can't multitask.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Moving on with Scene 114, picking up with Carolyn's threat in Thursday's quote -

Page 45/Scene 114 - Carolyn: 'I'm going to tell Maggie Evans everything about you. I won't let you touch her. I won't!'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

BARNABAS

Suddenly, very close to her, he opens his mouth, baring his fangs,
       goes to her neck.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions, the only difference in the way Carolyn delivers her quote in the film is that she say's "gonna" instead of "going to" - and unlike in the script, Carolyn actually turns away from Barnabas and begins to move away -

- from him before he reaches out -

- to pull her back to him - and one thing that I've always found interesting, as in strange, is that Barnabas already has blood in his mouth and on his fangs before -

- he attacks Carolyn (maybe it's a heretofore unknown revelation that vampires secrete blood in their mouths when they're intensely angry - or maybe it's only a certain vampire, like only Barnabas [b003]).