Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87944 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
We have one more scene in the script to deal with before we can wrap up this sequence and before the next sequence at the party comes up in the script:

106.  JEFF - GROUP OF PEOPLE

He turns from his group, is suddenly aware of some kind
       of electricity between Barnabas and Maggie.  CAMERA PANS
       WITH HIM as he hands her a drink.

MAGGIE
                        Thank you, Jeff.  Oh, do you know
                        each other

Barnabas and Jeff both nod rather formally.  They know
       they are rivals.  Roger   X   in    B.g.    to  david in Foyer

As we can see, in the film the beginning of Scene 106 actually overlaps with the end of Scene 105. However, when Jeff comes to Maggie with her drink, he delivers an unscripted -

"Maggie, your drink."

- and then after Maggie thanks Jeff and then asks if they know each other, Jeff replies with an unscripted -

"Yes, we do."

- which begs a lot of questions that we may never know the answers to (but we just might get a clue once we reach/deal with an upcoming scripted scene) - and then Barnabas offers an unscripted

"Excuse me. I'll see you later in the evening."

- which Maggie replies to with an unscripted -

"Yes, of course."

- and as that goes on a man also comes to join "John" and the woman and the second man apparently has some news that excites the woman - and after that the woman stands up looking more excited, and as that happens Barnabas begins to move off -

- and as the group begins to move off to wherever they're going, Jeff and Maggie -

- watch Barnabas move off... But rather than the notation that DC added to his script saying that we would see Roger in the background crossing to David in the foyer (the next scene in the script begins with Roger and David), something quite different happens in the film. Something that an animated GIF can only do justice to, so one will be showing up later tonight...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And here's the animated GIF of what follows in the film from the above post:

[spoiler]

For people with slower connections, the first time through will likely take a while to download because the file is 28.2MB (288 frames) - but all the better to watch the GIF load frame by frame.  [easter_smiley][/spoiler]

True dancing talent at its finest, right?!  [easter_wink]  [easter_cheesy]  Though it actually looks much better without the music that plays over it in the film because that music so does not go with those moves!

(And I only just realized after creating that GIF what a mistake those of us who attended the '89 Fest party at the Red Zone made. Sure, hoDS hadn't even been released on VHS yet, much less DVD/Blu-ray, but back then it was always shown on TV in October for Halloween and most of us owned our own recorded-off-of-TV VHS copy. So there was no reason that we didn't all coordinate through the various fanzines (no Internet, remember) to learn the bounce up and down and the wave your arms and nod your head while you snap your fingers moves of the hoDS dancing sequence. Then we could have all shown off our moves once dancing at the Red Zone began. But, no - did any of us think of that as a tribute to DS? NO! Foolish us!!  [easter_sad])

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Everybody goes to parties. They dance this mess around. [easter_rolleyes] [easter_rolleyes]

I remember the night at the Red Zone very well. I don't think I have ever heard a more lackluster selection of music at a club before or since. Nothing with a beat. No dance music. No soul. No Motown. I can only guess who selected the music. [easter_huh]

Excellent job on the gif!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Wow, MB that is a truly excellent gif!  John had great eyebrows and clearly, great hips.  It looks as if he's trying to start something funky with that other dude, another unknown. 

You wonder if the scene behind what's in the script with the woman getting excited by John's news was somehow scripted and blocked by Lela (who was actually doing a lot of the hands-on directing, while DC was working on shot set ups and tech stuff, from what I have read) or if it just somehow happened.

If you have any theories about where Barnabas and Jeff had met previously, would love to hear them!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the next sequence at the party:

107.   INT. FOYER - NIGHT

ROGER - DAVID  - They are near the door to the organ room.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 40/Scene 107 - Roger: 'David! What are you still doing downstairs?'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

DAVID
                  Can I stay down? I've done all
                  my homework.

ROGER
                  David,(I told you, you could
                  only stay a while.) You have that
                  test tomorrow.  We're going to
                  get your grades up, young man.

WIDEN TO INCLUDE BARNABAS, MAGGIE, JEFF.

DAVID
                  Well, at least I'm going to say
                  goodbye to Maggie.

ROGER
                  Alright, but hurry up.

David runs to Maggie.  Barnabas crosses to Roger.       

ROGER
                     (to Barnabas)
                  That boy's going to be the
                  death of me.

And we stop there for now.

Interestingly, there were notations about how to shoot Roger and Barnabas after David runs to Maggie and Barnabas crosses to Roger, but DC almost completely erased them, so apparently he changed his mind. And what's weird is there's no explanation why DC put Roger's "I told you, you could only stay a while" in parentheses.

And this is yet another party scene to find itself ending up on the cutting room floor (as do the three directly following scenes in the script). And because of that, when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions for this scene, we have no way at this point of knowing how things might have actually played out in the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I remember the night at the Red Zone very well. I don't think I have ever heard a more lackluster selection of music at a club before or since. Nothing with a beat. No dance music. No soul. No Motown. I can only guess who selected the music. [easter_huh]

Funny, I don't remember the music at all. (Perhaps that's simply because it was my first Fest event and I was too dazzled by the extraordinary access we all had to the stars. You could literally just turn around and join and/or start a lengthy conversation with them as we all milled about.)

Excellent job on the gif!
Wow, MB that is a truly excellent gif!

Well, I can't take too much credit for it because I simply have software that can pull the frames from the film and manipulate them so that I can use another piece of software to create the GIF with them. The only thing I have to do is adjust the timing in between frames so that they play at the same rate as the film. And now, after creating quite a few GIFs for both this film and NoDS, that's becoming quite easy to do.

It looks as if he's trying to start something funky with that other dude, another unknown.

That guy has quite a bit of screen time too. Not as much as "John" - but he's also someone who has more of it that some of the principal actors!  [easter_rolleyes]

You wonder if the scene behind what's in the script with the woman getting excited by John's news was somehow scripted and blocked by Lela (who was actually doing a lot of the hands-on directing, while DC was working on shot set ups and tech stuff, from what I have read) or if it just somehow happened.

That's an interesting theory that Lela might have staged it. I do think someone staged it and that it didn't just happen because the extras came up with it themselves.

If you have any theories about where Barnabas and Jeff had met previously, would love to hear them!

My theory will be coming up after we deal with one of the upcoming deleted scenes...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I wore something similar for a Halloween party two years ago.

(Ever since a friend has been having yearly parties, I decided I wanted to wear my fantasy outfits through the centuries. I started out with the mid-16th century with something very similar to this, and then moved to 17th century with something like this, complete with curly wig, then to the 18th century with something very similar to this, complete with three cornered hat with huge plums (because the bigger the plums, the bigger the...). Last year it would have been the early 19th century with something like this, but at the last minute the party had to be canceled so hopefully it will be this year's outfit. And after that I'd like to go early 19th century/Edwardian, with something like this. I haven't thought beyond that...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up David, Maggie and Roger's part of Scene 107:

Roger crosses to David and Maggie.  Barnabas looks to them.         

DAVID
                  Oh Maggie...

MAGGIE
                  Yes, David. ----- Barn   enters B.G
                                       of SHOT
                            ROGER
                  Alright, young man...

Page 40/Scene 107 - David: 'I'm sorry, Maggie, for all the things I've done. I never expected they'd make me say goodbye to you.'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

He looks so miserable. Maggie is touched. -------------- CuBarn
                                                            P.O.V
                            ROGER
                  Goodnight, David!

CONTINUED

107.   (CONT'D)                                                  40A

DAVID
                  Goodbye, Maggie...

And David leaves the room.

ROGER
                     (to Maggie)
                  There's going to be a new
                  regime in this house, believe me...

CONTINUED

REV. -  3/13/70                                                  41.

107.   (CONT'D)

David impulsively kisses her on the cheek.  Turns and
       leaves the room. To the foyer

Jeff, knowing she's upset, touches her arm.              -  PAN
        Roger   exits   through   the   card   room   door                  WITH ROG.
        as:

End of David, Maggie and Roger's section.

And because this scene ended up on the cutting room floor, who knows which version of the end of the scene, if either, was used in the film, the version on Page 40A or the version on Page 41? Though it would have been unfortunate if Roger didn't get to turn to Maggie to twist the knife by saying "There's going to be a new regime in this house, believe me..." And, of course, also because the scene ended up on the cutting room floor, when it comes to the other dialogue, descriptions, and directions for this scene, we have no way of knowing how things might have actually played out in the film with all that either...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I just checked out David, Maggie and Roger's part of Scene 107 in the novelization and it's certainly different from DC's script's version - much, much shorter - so apparently it must have been based on some other intermediate script like several other scenes in the novelization had to be:

A little later, Roger Collins and his son, David, were
playing a familiar scene in the foyer. They were arguing
at the door to the organ room where Roger had finally
caught up to the boy.
  David was protesting, "But I don't want to go to bed!"
  "You must," Roger said sternly. "That is all there is
to it. And I don't want you sneaking downstairs again.
I mean it. There's going to be a new regime in this
house!
  As the argument between them went on, Barnabas,
Maggie and Jeff came by.  Maggie half-turned and David
saw her. At once he ran to her and threw his arms
around her. He was all penitent little boy now.
  "Oh, Maggie, I wish you wouldn't go!" he pleaded.
"I'm going to miss you so. I wish I could go back and
not do some of those things I did. Honest! Then maybe
you wouldn't go!"
  Maggie hugged David. "I'm really not angry with you,"
she said.

Roger's regime change comment in DC's script plays much more interestingly being delivered to Maggie than it does being delivered to David in the earlier incarnation...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Thanks, MB, for that quote from the Dan Ross book.  That FINALLY makes sense of Barnabas's telling Maggie that even David wants her to stay, in that scene in the film as we have it now.  I always find myself waiting for her to snap-turn and ask him, "Bitch are you for REAL?" when he says that. Of course that would be the Burton/Depp remake version...

Your costume selection is awesome! I hope the party happens this year!

Best, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Picking up Page 41 with the first section of the second part of Scene 107:

Pan
       CUT TO:   The three people moving between Barnabas and   with
       Maggie. from   middle  of  D.R.  and  x  through             them
         Organ   Room   to   Card   Room

FIRST MAN
                      Well, I don't understand why the          See
                      police haven't come up with even          Julia
                      one suspect --
                                              COMES            Pull
       As Barnabas starts to move away, Julia ENTERS SHOT.      Back
       TO   HIM  out of   Card   room                               A Bit

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 41/Scene 107 - Julia: 'Oh, Mr. Collins, I do want to hear more about that memoir you mentioned. You can give me information on the family in England. Are you free for lunch tomorrow?'

- comes up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 41/Scene 108 - Barnabas: 'No, unfortunately. I must go to Bangor. On business. My investments --'

- coming up, after which DC's script has a notation that Barnabas looks at Julia.

And, naturally, this section all ended up on the cutting room floor as well, so we have no way of knowing how the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions might have actually played out in the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 107 as it appears in the script, beginning with today's first quote -

Page 41/Scene 107 - Julia: 'The next day, perhaps?'

- coming up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 41/Scene 107 - Barnabas: 'I'm not sure when I'll be back.'

- coming up in the script, followed in the script by:

He turns to look at something off screen.

End of scene as scripted. However, there's some confusion as to how the end was really intended to play out. But an explanation of that will wait until after we start to deal with Scene 108. Or as well of an explanation as we might be able to deduce because Scene 107 ended up on the cutting room floor, so we have no way of knowing how the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions might have actually played out in the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
In order to fully illustrate the confusion with the end of Scene 107, we need to backtrack just a bit to show what the script looks like:

|                 rt     \______________________________/
|         He turns^to look at something off screen.
|
|   108.  MAGGIE AND JEFF - BARNABAS' POV
|
|         They are on the other side of the room enjoying each
|         other's company.
|                        JULIA   (O.C)
|                Mr   Collins    -   did   you   hear   me?
|                When   will   you   be   back
|_______________________________>

One thing that's probably apparent is that Barnabas line about not knowing when he would be back was to be delivered after Julia's added lines. However, were Julia's lines supposed to be a part of the end of Scene 107 and were simply written on the script page as part of Scene 108 because that's where there was space for them at the bottom of the page, or were they supposed to part of Scene 108. If it's the latter, then Barnabas line was taken out of Scene 107 and put into Scene 108. And what complicates things further is that it's unclear what the "^" between the words "turns" and "to" and the added "rt" above it means.  [hdscrt]

But anyway, regardless of how things were meant to play, we have no way of actually pinning it down because Scene 107 ended up on the cutting room floor.

And while Scene 108 probably survives in the film as the interlude after Scene 106 of Maggie and Jeff laughing together and "John" and other extras dancing -

- and milling around, who knows if it was originally DC's intent to have Julia's added lines play off screen during Scene 108 and then to have Barnabas' reaction to seeing Maggie and Jeff play either on screen or simply as dialogue off screen as with Julia. And as it stands in the film now, no one would have any idea whatsoever that Scene 108 was scripted to be Barnabas' P.O.V. as he watches Maggie and Jeff...

Also, I do wonder if Jeff was supposed to be drunk it that Scene 108 interlude or is his seemingly falling over onto Maggie for some other reason? Check out the GIF I posted back in reply 301 to see what you think...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the next sequence at the party and the current scene in the slideshow:

REV.  - 3/11/70

ORGAN  ROOM
108A.  INT. FOYER - NIGHT

Elizabeth and Stokes join Barnabas. Barn  sees them
       and  is  delighted   to  change  the  subject

BARNABAS
                       Cousin Elizabeth, looking at you,
                       I can almost believe we are back
                       in time.

STOKES
                       She is Naomi, and you are the
                       original Barnabas, of course.

Barnabas looks at him.  Turns to Elizabeth.

Page 41A/Scene 108A - Barnabas: 'Thank you so much for this lovely party.'

- comes up.

However there's the addition of "It is most enjoyable" to Barnabas lines in DC's script. Though, because this is yet another scene that ended up on the cutting room floor, when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions for this scene, we have no way at this point of knowing how things might have actually played out in the film...