Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87747 times)

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I drove past the former Three Bears Restaurant, alias the Collinsport Inn, about a week. It looked like they were doing some construction on the property, maybe an addition of some sort. The Chabad Lubavitch, which purchased the building back in 2009, has done a lot of renovating the interior but has made no changes to the exterior.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And now I'm also going to share the novelization's version of the beginning of Scene 79 because it also contains material not in the original draft or in DC's script:

Todd still found it hard to accept the news, especially
after Seth told him all the police had discovered. He went
on in to the somewhat dimly lighted dining room of the
Collinsport Inn and sat beside Carolyn on the banquette
against the wall to tell her the tragic news.
  Carolyn stared at him. "Nancy Hodiak!"
  "Yes," he said. "What do you think of that?"
  "You're sure it's true?"
  "Yes," Todd said. "Maggie and Jeff found her. Finish
your drink and I'll take you home."
  "How awful!"
  "I know," Todd agreed.
  "Poor Maggie!" she said. Then she started to rise,
but suddenly stopped, staring at the corner banquette.

It's interesting that stuff is added but there's also stuff missing. There's no repeat of the fact that not only was Nancy Hodiak strangled, but she was bitten like Daphne. Though quite frankly, had the Nancy Hodiak sequence actually been in the film, we certainly wouldn't have needed to hear that detail repeatedly driven into our heads in multiple scenes...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Yesterday I forgot to post that we've had a lot of fun on the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - house of Dark Shadows" board with this capture from Scene 78:

house of Dark Shadows

An instance where the VHS framing is more fun because the DVD/Blu-ray transfer cuts off the bottom frame too high...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Picking up Scene 79 where we left off:

She starts to rise, stops, staring at the corner banquette,
       as CAMERA TRUCKS TO CLOSE UP.

TODD (V.O.)
                     Carolyn, what is it?

CAROLYN
                     Willie Loomis!

79     CONTD                                        CONTD 79

SHOT WIDENS.  As Todd stands next to her, the CAMERA TRUCKS
Keeping them  PANS to their POV.  They see Willie Loomis talking to
 in left frame  someone whose back is to them.  They cannot tell who
           it is.  But the man's hand holding a cane has a ring
           on it.  The cane has a curious and very distinctive
           SILVER WOLFHEAD HANDLE.

CAROLYN
                     I'm going to speak to him.  He
                     never picked up his pay.

REVERSE - WIDE ANGLE

With Willie in the extreme f.g. he looks up, sees her
           coming.  He mutters something we cannot hear to his
           companion.  Willie rises, moves quickly to Carolyn,
           meeting her halfway.  She still cannot see his com-
           panion.  CAMERA TIGHTENS with him to a TIGHT TWO SHOT.
           Willie seems completely different from the last time
           we saw him.  He wears a turtleneck shirt under his
           coat.

WILLIE
                     Miss Carolyn --

And that's when March 7th's quote -

Page 26/Scene 79 - Carolyn: 'We've been looking for you, Willie.'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

WILLIE
               You didn't think about looking here,
               huh?

She shakes her head.  He shrugs, at a loss to explain
     himself.

And that's when yesterday's quote -

Page 26/Scene 79 - Carolyn: 'Roger has your pay envelope ready.'

WILLIE
          Oh.  Yeh.  I guess he does.  Well,
          I'll get to it.  I -- I been busy.
          I got a new job.

He is carefully moving so she cannot see his
companion.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 26/Scene 79 - Willie: 'This -- this opportunity, it came up kind of fast like ... And I took it.'

- comes up, followed in the script by the rest of that bit of Willie's dialogue:

WILLIE

Well, nice seeing you
       Miss Carolyn.  See you around.

And as far as what's different about this section of Scene 79 when it comes to the dialogue, the directions and the descriptions, that will wait until another post...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Hmmm. Clearly, Todd was in the mood for cake that evening.  No wonder he was so anxious to get Miss Stoddard safely stowed away with Mother at home.

MB, many thanks for printing extracts here of the "Marilyn" Ross novelization.  They brought back the feeling of bafflement as to just what was going on when characters, incidents and dialogue showed up in the book I had no memory of seeing either in the film, or in the profuse coverage of it we enjoyed in our monster mags back in '70.

Best,

G.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
At the end of HODS, does Todd survive or does he succumb to his girlfriend's "advances"?  I don't recall Todd's ultimate fate in the film.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
At the end of HODS, does Todd survive or does he succumb to his girlfriend's "advances"?  I don't recall Todd's ultimate fate in the film.

Maybe he finally wound up with Seth?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
 [pointing-up]  One never knows! But the question begs for an answer in a sequel - or at least some fan fiction!!  [b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And now any differences in the portion of Scene 79 that we covered in reply #183:

Todd doesn't actually address Carolyn by name when she suddenly stops in her tracks - and it's isn't until after Carolyn solely on her own walks while actually saying "It's Willie Loomis" and moves in the direction of where Willie is seated and the camera reveals him, though not in the reverse angle that the script indicates, that Carolyn turns to look back in Todd's direction to tell him -

- that she's going to speak to Willie - and as can also be seen in the above capture, at that same time is when Willie actually sees Carolyn and begins to get up, but all we see of the person with Willie is an arm and a hand on a table - we don't see that the hand is holding a cane because it isn't, or really that it has a ring on it, or quite obviously that the cane has a silver wolfhead handle, though we do see Willie say something to his companion before he leaves the table - and Willie actually adds a "Hello", as in "Hello, Miss Carolyn" when he greets her - and almost immediately Willie makes sure to step in front of her every time Carolyn tries to see who Willie left sitting at the table - and after Carolyn says they've been looking for Willie, what he actually asks is "How come you didn't think to look in here, huh?" - and Carolyn, as is more appropriate, actually refers to Roger as "Uncle Roger" when she tells Willie that his pay envelope is ready - and Willie actually explains "Oh, he does? Well then, I'll go get it. See, I been busy. I got a new job" and "This -- this opportunity came kind of fast like and I took it", but nowhere along his explanation does he shrug at a loss to explain himself because he does indeed explain himself, and Carolyn doesn't actually nod to him until after he's said all of that - and I love how Willie fiddles with his turtleneck collar shortly before -

- and while he actually says "Well, I'll see you around, huh, Miss Carolyn."

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
One never knows! But the question begs for an answer in a sequel - or at least some fan fiction!!  [b003]

Should I ever get around to writing said fan fiction, it will definitely be done mostly from the POV of Seth!   [snow_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
KMR, that sounds excellent.  I'm already thinking of some imagery but we're not allowed to post even fic snippets here so I will forebear...

My guess is that Seth and Todd had a "history."

Best, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
KMR, that sounds excellent.

I agree - telling things from Seth's POV could be quite interesting. Actually, I'd imagine that seeing all the events of hoDS through Seth's eyes would bring a whole fresh perspective to them...

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It certainly would. Was Seth posed in such a way to show off his, shall we say assets, to their best advantage. [snow_huh] [snow_smileydevil] [snow_huh]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 79 with Willie's scripted actions after saying goodbye to Carolyn:

79     CONTD (2)                                (2) CONTD 79

He bobs, half bowing, all very ideal servant.  Carolyn
       is puzzled.  Willie rejoins his companion as Todd takes
       Carolyn's elbow, takes her to the door.

And that's when yesterday's quote -

Page 27/Scene 79 - Carolyn: 'Something's happened to him.'

Todd looks at her.

TODD
          What do you mean?

Page 27/Scene 79 - Carolyn: 'He's completely different.'

- comes up.

And as for what's different when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and directions, thank heavens Willie doesn't bob, half bowing, all very ideal servant. In fact, after he says goodbye to Carolyn is when Todd actually comes up, somewhat scaring Willie by his sudden appearance because Willie is not only focused on stopping Carolyn from seeing who's sitting at the table he came from but also on the collar of his turtleneck (and we know why even if not everyone in the audience does), and Todd says an unscripted -

Hey, Willie.

- to which Willie replies with a nod and an unscripted -

Hello, Todd.

- and then after a few seconds turns to go back to the table, upon which Todd doesn't actually take Carolyn's elbow or turn her to the door because, as can be seen in yesterday's capture, a puzzled Carolyn turns to Todd -

- to tell him that she thinks something has happened to Willie - and as Willie rejoins his companion while Todd asks what she means, Carolyn then delivers her response as "He's", takes a pause, and then adds "completely different" as, as can be seen in today's capture -

- Willie continues to look over at them.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And continuing with more of Scene 79:

They stop at the door as Carolyn looks back, still
       unable to see anything of the companion but the hand
       and the cane.

Page 27/Scene 79 - Todd: 'Who's that he's with?'

- comes up.

And as for what's different when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and directions, as can be seen in today's capture, Carolyn and Todd -

- are not at the door to the Collinsport Inn and Carolyn is not looking back and trying to see who Willie's companion is because both Carolyn and Todd are still standing in the exact same spot and Carolyn is looking up at Todd as he actually asks "Who's that with him?", which is much more conversational - not to mention it doesn't end with a preposition ([wink2]) - and during these moments none of Willie's companion is really even visible, not the hand and certainly not the cane, which we've already mentioned the hand isn't even holding...