Author Topic: To Caption This!  (Read 10369 times)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
To Caption This!
« on: January 24, 2005, 04:47:18 AM »
First of all, I hope this message is on the right site, but if it's not, I'm sure somebody will tell me.

Caption This! is very funny.  Wherever do you get saying for these captions?  I just want to tell you that all of you are very funny.  I draw a blank whenever I see these very funny pictures.   [hdscrt]

But the rest of you.....keep it up.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline AdAstra

• Junior Poster
  • Shadows of the night...
    • View Profile
Re: To Caption This!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 06:33:08 AM »
Caption This! is very funny.  Wherever do you get saying for these captions?  I just want to tell you that all of you are very funny.  I draw a blank whenever I see these very funny pictures.   [hdscrt]

But the rest of you.....keep it up.

I agree Terry...whoever thought up the Caption This! section, you rock!  Thanks for those taking the time to capture those pictures, I love reading the captions and trying to think up my own.  It's my favorite part of this site so far!  You know what they say, laughing is good for the health, so keep them coming... :)

Mel

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 05:14:16 PM »
There probably should be one topic on this board where cousins can post general comments and questions, so I'd say this topic is definitely in the right spot, Terry308.  ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 03:50:25 AM »
The captions are hysterical!

But I've got to add this friendly reminder, sorry, because I don't relish seeing anyone's creations removed:
Please read The Rules And How To Add Captures To This Board, if you haven't already done so, before posting any captions.  Thanks!

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 09:20:30 PM »
I need some help.  I'd love to play this game...since I have loads of screen captures but all I know how to do is use the "insert image".  How do I add the pic into the box without using this feature?

Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 09:35:30 PM »
I need some help.  I'd love to play this game...since I have loads of screen captures but all I know how to do is use the "insert image".  How do I add the pic into the box without using this feature?

I found it!!!  [crowdhappy] [blob7] [blob1] [cheerleader]

Now let's see if I can attach something!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 12:24:49 AM »
Is there a place to grab captures (legall), or do y'all just get them from your TVs & DVDs?

Patti

who laughs out loud at many of the captures!!
What a Woman!

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 01:14:03 AM »
Well, I get them from my DVD's, Patti... ;D  :-*  I use a Mac computer, so I've been utilizing a DVD capture program one can download at: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9292 (as far as I know this program is designed for Macs only - sorry PC users    :'()  Some of the caps I posted you could only get by advancing through a particular scene frame by frame, picking out intriguing moments.  ;)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 02:35:27 AM »
Are the moderators willing to re-visit or lighten up on the rules for adding lines to the screen captions? I had one of mine removed recently, and while I understand the need for brevity (based on the definition of a "caption'), mine wasn't excessively long - nor in bad taste - but instead of being edited, it was totally axed.
Suffice to say, my creativity has been stifled as a result, but I'll still enjoy viewing the contributions from others.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 08:44:20 AM »
Is there a place to grab captures (legall), or do y'all just get them from your TVs & DVDs?

I get mine from my DVDs and I don't feel it's illegal to do.  I'm not making video tapes from them and distributing it without permisson.  So I guess it's ok.  :D

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 08:59:03 AM »
I get mine from my DVDs and I don't feel it's illegal to do.  I'm not making video tapes from them and distributing it without permisson.  So I guess it's ok.  :D

Actually, it is illegal (which is the main reason why I take all my screen captures of the DS episodes from tapes I made of the Sci-Fi broadcasts). But MPI seems to be willing to look the other way. Most distributors are not so generous...

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 09:14:50 AM »

Actually, it is illegal (which is the main reason why I take all my screen captures of the DS episodes from tapes I made of the Sci-Fi broadcasts). But MPI seems to be willing to look the other way. Most distributors are not so generous...

OH  :(  I stand corrected.  I'm glad MPI looks the other way because I don't have the means to capture off vhs tapes.  I only have DS dvds...  I hope I don't get into trouble.  :-

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 09:25:56 AM »
I hope I don't get into trouble.  :-

Two MPI employees are members of the forum. If they had major problems with anyone posting screen captures from the DVDs (or the MPI VHS tapes for that matter) on the forum, I think they might have said something by now. So, you're probably safe.  :)  But that's strictly my own impression.
(I use my own tapes to be doubly sure.  ;))

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 06:03:59 PM »
Thank you MB, you are doing a great job...btw, you have mail... ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 01:32:59 AM »
Are the moderators willing to re-visit or lighten up on the rules for adding lines to the screen captions? I had one of mine removed recently, and while I understand the need for brevity (based on the definition of a "caption'),  mine wasn't excessively long - nor in bad taste -

Hi, Sandor.

Frankly, we're not.  All of the several posts removed from this caption board due to back-and-forth dialogue weren't excessively long and they weren't in bad taste.  They also weren't captions.

but instead of being edited, it was totally axed.

Well, there are a few reasons that Dom and I opt to remove rather than edit.  First off, we don't edit content unless the content we're removing violates some guideline.  Yet in order to shorten the posts on the caption board, we'd be editing out lines that, on their own, violate no guideline.  Secondly, how can you edit dialogue without changing the writer's intent?  Third, I honestly don't have any extra time (ha!) to spend creating a caption within someone's post, particularly when it's the author's responsibility to see to it that his/her post follows the rules.  Finally, the caption board rules clearly state that posts that don't follow the rules will be removed.

Suffice to say, my creativity has been stifled as a result, but I'll still enjoy viewing the contributions from others.

I'm very bummed after learning you had that reaction, Sandor.  I'd hoped that you might rework the song lyrics and repost them.   :-