Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #60,#82,#116,#138,#157,#180,#224,#240,#280,#372,#526**]  (Read 117828 times)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I really love Kate Jackson in these sequences (well, in the whole film, actually). She was so good at playing the heartbroken wife, both here and in Making Love. It's a shame she didn't get more lead roles in theatrical films. Such a fine actor, who made every scene believable; the audience couldn't help but empathize with her. Seems she has retired from acting.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Those head tilts, and the muted sarcasm disguised as concern, are VERY Grayson.

Excellent screen shots here!  Thank you!

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Oops - I was so focused on catching up with Scene 149 that I forgot to share this rare behind the scenes still from the shooting of it:

A decidedly different mood between David and Kate than in the actual scene, wouldn't you say.  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Those head tilts, and the muted sarcasm disguised as concern, are VERY Grayson.

And very much fun to watch.  [nodassent]  [thumb]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing on, with Carlotta's response to Tracy saying something is wrong:

CARLOTTA
                 Anything I've done?

153    CONTD                                      CONTD   153

TRACY
                 No...no...never mind.

Carlotta looks at her.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 73/Scene 153 - Carlotta: 'What is it, Mrs. Collins? You don't seem very happy here. Whereas Mr. Collins seems --'

- comes up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 73/Scene 153 - Tracy (flaring): 'I don't think that's any of you business.'

- coming up.

And so far as differences with the dialogue go, it's odd that Carlotta's "Anything I've done?" is crossed out in DC's script and replaced with "Is there anything I can do?", but not only does Carlotta say the original line in the film, the line isn't crossed out/replaced in Grayson's script - and when it comes to today's first quote, Carlotta only gets as far as "Whereas Mr. Collins --" before Tracy angrily cuts her off with today's second quote.

And so far as the differences with the descriptions and the directions go, there's nothing different - though something that isn't covered in the script is how Tracy settles back down in the chair as she waves away Carlotta's supposed concern that she may have done something wrong - and I do have to say that when it comes to Carlotta looking at Tracy, I love how Carlotta uses a turn of her head to emphasize that -

- Tracy doesn't seem very happy.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
What a great scene.  Fab image for today's line.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 153, beginning with Carlotta's response to Tracy telling her to mind her own business, which was also yesterday's first quote -

Page 73/Scene 153 - Carlotta: 'Certainly. If that's the way you feel -- what time will dinner be this evening? --'

- followed by yesterday's second quote -

Page 73/Scene 153 - Tracy (ready to explode): 'I don't know what time
--'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

Carlotta crosses to the door, stops, turns and looks
       at her.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 73/Scene 153 - Carlotta: 'Did you ever stop to think that perhaps you don't belong here?'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

She turns and leaves.

TRUCK IN ON Tracy as she rises, crossing to the
      window, where she stands, fighting back the tears.

End of scene as scripted. However, once we get to the next scenes in the script we'll see that once again things play differently in the film. But that's not until when we next pick things up in the script.

For now, so far as differences with the dialogue go, Tracy actually delivers her quoted line more like "I don't know what...time --" - and Carlotta's second quote is actually delivered as "Mrs. Collins, did you ever stop to think that perhaps you don't belong here?", making it an all the more personal remark by addressing Tracy with her name.

And so far as the differences with the descriptions and the directions go, DC's script has a note that before Carlotta asks what time dinner will be, she crosses the room as the camera pans with her, and that's exactly what happens - and as we can see in yesterday's second capture, as Tracy is telling Carlotta that she doesn't know what time dinner will be, she jumps out of the chair (as she says "I don't know what"), turns her back on Carlotta -

- and stands beside the chair (as she finishes with "time") - but afterward Carlotta doesn't cross to the door to then stop, turn and look at Tracy because she continues to stand in the exact same spot as she asks if Tracy has ever thought that perhaps she doesn't belong at Collinwood - at which point Tracy turns around to look at Carlotta -

- in complete disbelief that Carlotta would have the audacity to ask such a question - and it's not until after they stare at each other for a bit that Carlotta turns and makes her way out of the room, and I do love the slightest touch of a smile on Carlotta's face -

- as she exits, having said exactly what she's been dying to say to Tracy as she leaves Tracy standing in shock - but after Carlotta has exited, the camera doesn't truck in on Tracy as she rises because she's already standing - however, Tracy does cross to the window, but she doesn't stand, fighting back the tears, because, as can be seen in the following capture, she actually -

- sits on the window seat as she fights back the tears - and DC has another note in his script that says that Tracy turns to look at Angelique's portrait, and that's exactly -

- what happens. It's interesting that Angelique's portrait is almost as much of a character in the film as the real Angelique is because it frequently stands in for her...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Moving on to the next four scenes as scripted:

154    INT - MASTER BEDROOM - DAY                         154

Through the open door, Tracy can be seen still at the
       gallery windows.  Finally, she turns and walks toward
       the bedroom.  She walks up the three steps, crosses
       into the room and sits on the edge of the bed.  TRUCK
       IN ON HER CLOSE-UP as she looks up at something O.S.

155    TOWER - THROUGH THE WINDOW - TRACY'S P.O.V.        155

TRACY - CLOSE-UP

as she stares at the tower.  Finally, averting her
       gaze, she looks through the open bedroom door.  Some-
       thing catches her eye O.S.

156    QUENTIN'S JACKET - TRACY'S P.O.V. - WIDE ANGLE     156

Trough the bedroom doorway, Quentin's jacket is
       seen draped over the back of a chair in the gallery.
       ZOOM IN.

157    INT - GALLERY - DAY                                157

as Tracy enters from the bedroom, she looks down the
       hall, making sure Carlotta is not there, and then
       crosses to the jacket, where she reaches into his
       pocket, comes out with Quentin's keys.

And so the interesting thing here is that nearly everything that's scripted to happen in these four scenes does indeed take place in the film, except it's all set in the Gallery and not the Master Bedroom and the Gallery:

After Tracy's unscripted action of looking at Angelique's portrait, she gets up, crosses to the side window, and looks out -

- and up to the Tower Room -

- after which she turns back to look at Angelique's portrait -

- (though we don't see it this time) and then her attention is captured by -

- something off screen in the room, after which the camera pans down to reveal Quentin's jacket-

- draped over a chair - and after quickly looking back at the tower room -

- (though we don't see it this time), Tracy crosses over to the jacket (with no need to make sure Carlotta isn't around), picks it up, and begins to go through the pockets -

- and once she finds Quentin's keys -

- she soon sees that the tower room's key -

- is on the ring, whereupon she puts the jacket back in place and moves to exit the room.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And moving on to the next four scenes as scripted:

158    INT - STAIRS TO TOWER - DAY                        158

A frightened Tracy stands at the door, key in hand.
       Finally unlocking the door, she opens it and ENTERS
       THE ROOM

159    INT - TOWER ROOM - DAY - TRACY'S P.O.V.            159

The painting on the easel is covered.  The room is a
       mess.  The cot looks as if it had been slept in.
       Tracy ENTERS THE SHOT, leaving the door open.  She
       crosses to the easel.  She lifts off the cover and
       is shocked by what she sees.  The picture is now
       completed.  The reality of the situation shocks her.
       It is obvious Quentin has been completing Charles'
       unfinished portrait.  The picture now includes a man
       who looks very much like Quentin and who stands in
       front of the half-clad Angelique.  In his arms he
       carries the limp figure of a girl.  The girl's face
       is Tracy's.  It seems she is an offering to Angelique.

160    EXT - COLLINWOOD DRIVE - DAY - HIGH ANGLE          160

Quentin's car drives into the portico and stops.  In
       a moment the door opens, and Quentin gets out.  As
       he crosses to the house, PAN TO THE TOWER where Tracy
       can be seen through the windows, still looking at the
       picture.  She crosses to the windows where she stands
       trying to puzzle it out.  Suddenly, she looks down and
       reacts to the sight of Quentin's car.

161    INT - TOWER ROOM - DAY                             161

as Tracy moves quickly to the door and is about to
       EXIT.  She hears the SOUND OF QUENTIN'S VOICE O.S.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 74/Scene 161 - Quentin (O.S.): 'Carlotta -- have you seen my jacket? I can't buy a damn thing without my wallet.'

- comes up, followed by the script continuing with:

161    CONTD                                      CONTD   161

Quickly Tracy jumps back and closes the door from
       inside.  She fumbles with the keys.  Before she can
       put the key in the lock, the SOUND OF QUENTIN'S
       VOICE can be heard -- this time at the base of the
       Tower stairs.

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 75/Scene 161 - Quentin (O.S.): 'Never mind, Carlotta. I'll check the tower.'

She hears him coming up the steps.  Quickly, she
  moves to the other side of the room, holding her
  breath, staring at the door.

And when it comes to what's different with the dialogue, the interesting thing is that the words are pretty much as scripted but the order of the lines is changed because first Quentin says "Carlotta, have you seen my jacket?" and then he says "Never mind. I'll check the tower. Can't buy a damn thing without my wallet." And not all of it is delivered off screen, but more on that below...

And when it comes to what's different with the descriptions and directions, DC actually added additional info for the setting of Scene 158 -

158    INT - STAIRS TO TOWER - DAY - LOWER TOWER          158

- so no doubt that's why we actually see Tracy come up the tower stairs, after which she comes to a stop at the door, hesitates, looks down at the key in her hand, but then reaches to unlock the door, though she doesn't enter the room - and Scene 159 is not shot from Tracy's P.O.V. because, as can be seen in the following capture, it starts off -

- with a shot of the door from the inside (as we hear the key turn in the lock), and then after the door opens, we actually see Tracy -

- peer inside - and after she enters she looks about the room, but we don't see that the cot looks as if it had been slept in because we don't see the cot at all because almost immediately Tracy crosses to the easel and uncovers the canvas - and from there things progress as scripted - but when it comes to Scene 160, Quentin's car doesn't drive into the portico because it actually stops quite a bit -

- short of it, after which we do see Quentin get out and run toward the front door - and after the camera has panned to the tower, we actually see Tracy through the windows as she still stands at the easel trying to puzzle the painting out, and that's the only stuff that's shot from outside - when Tracy turns from the painting, things are back to being shot from inside the tower - and she doesn't cross to the windows to stand and puzzle things out because her intent is to leave as she moves by the window and toward the door, but she stops in her tracks when she sees (we don't) Quentin's car - and at the start of Scene 161, Tracy is still looking out the window when all of a sudden she hears Quentin's voice as he says "Carlotta, have you seen my jacket?" off screen, and she quickly turns -

- and moves down to close the door -

- as we hear Quentin say "Never mind. I'll check the tower" - however, we don't see Tracy fumble with the keys to try to put the key in the lock because immediately after Tracy closes the door the camera pans to the lower tower where we actually see Quentin approaching as -

- he says "Can't buy a damn thing without my wallet" - and when things switch back to inside the tower, we don't see Tracy quickly move to the other side of the room because what she actually does is -

- plaster herself against the wall by the door, holding her breath as she hears Quentin's footsteps coming up the stairs.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I forgot to mention the other day that in addition to what's noted in the above post, DC also added:

157A   3RD FL LANDING

But considering that he didn't write in any descriptions or directions for what might have happened there and that no scene takes place there in the film, I didn't bother to include it when I was typing up the script.

Also, I'd been holding off getting into the next section of the script/slideshow because I'm going to include a video clip and I wanted to see if SMF has come up with any modifications for including video of a better quality than SWF (Macromedia Flash) files, but when I experimented with installing a few different mods (which is why the forum wasn't working correctly for a time yesterday), they only seemed to work with video file formats that create large files or require external players. But I want to keep the filesize of the video to a minimum so that it will download quickly - and I want the video to play in the post. So it seems that for the time being, anyway, we're stuck with SWF files, which aren't the greatest quality, but we'll live with it for now...

(ADMIN: Ignore the second part of this post because subsequently a different video was updated and posted in Reply #430)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And once again moving on to the next four scenes as scripted:

162    INT - TOWER STAIRS - DAY                           162

Quentin is at the door.  He reaches in his pocket for
       his keys, suddenly remembers his keys are in his
       jacket.  He turns and leaves.

163    INT - TOWER ROOM - DAY                             163

Tracy breathes a sigh of relief as the SOUND OF
       QUENTIN'S FOOTSTEPS disappear.  PAN WITH HER as she
       crosses to the door, and opening it, leaves the
       tower, closing the door,  The SOUND of her LOCKING
       IT can be heard.

164    INT - SECOND FLOOR LANDING - DAY                   164

as Carlotta comes TOWARD CAMERA.  She suddenly stops,
       seeing Tracy descending the steps O.S.

TRACY - CARLOTTA'S P.O.V.

as she comes downstairs, the keys in her hand, and
       is about to turn toward the gallery.  She suddenly
       catches Carlotta out of the corner of her eye.  She
       stops and looks at her.

CARLOTTA - TRACY'S P.O.V.

Carlotta stares back at her, then crosses to the
       stairs and descends to the first floor without saying
       a word.

INT - SECOND FLOOR CORRIDOR - DAY

Ignoring the brief moment with Carlotta, Tracy quickly
       moves to the gallery.

165    INT - GALLERY - DAY                                165

As Tracy ENTERS, she quickly realizes that the jacket
       is no longer there.  Panicked, she looks around, not
       knowing what to do.

And that's when Sunday's first quote -

Page 76/Scene 165 - Quentin (O.S.): 'Tracy!'

He ENTERS from the bedroom.  Quickly, she hides the
     keys behind her back.  Without saying a word, he
     crosses directly to her.  His eyes are dark with
     anger.  She stands there holding her breath.

And that's when Sunday's second quote -

Page 76/Scene 165 - Quentin: 'Have you...seen my jacket?'

- comes up, followed by Sunday's third quote -

Page 76/Scene 165 - Tracy (almost crying with relief): 'No -- I haven't. (quickly moving away from him as she looks toward the chair) I'll help you look for it.'

- coming up, followed by the script continuing with:

THE CHAIR - TRACY'S P.O.V.

On the floor, in back of the chair, the sleeve of
       Quentin's jacket can be seen.

QUENTIN - TRACY

With the chair in the F.G., Tracy casually walks
       toward it as Quentin crosses toward another part
       of the room.  Tracy reaches for the jacket and
       quickly slips the keys into the pocket.

TRACY
                 Oh, here it is, Quentin.

As she picks it up, Quentin crosses to her.  With a
       curt nod, he takes it and EXITS down the hall.
       TRUCK IN ON a much-relieved Tracy.

And when it comes to what's different with the dialogue, unlike how Scene 164 is scripted without dialogue, it does contain a bit of dialogue in the film, but I'm going to hold off on getting into that until later in this post - for now the only differences are that in Scene 165 Quentin doesn't pause when he asks "Have you seen my jacket?" - and Tracy's initial response is actually "No!", but after a pause she adds more calmly "No, I haven't", without the addition of "I'll help you look for it", which is dropped in the film - and "Oh, here it is, Quentin" is also dropped because in the film the second half of Scene 165 plays very differently from the way it's scripted.

And when it comes to what's different with the descriptions and directions, in Scene 162 we only see Quentin pat his pockets, he doesn't reach into either one for his keys - and in Scene 163 Tracy does indeed breath a sigh of relief as the sounds of Quentin's footsteps disappear, but the camera has no need to pan with her as she crosses to the door because, as we got into last time, she never moved to the other side of the room - in fact, after Tracy breathes a sigh of relief as the sounds of Quentin's footsteps disappear, the scene ends in the film, so we never see Tracy open the door, or leave the tower, or close the door, and nor do we hear the sound of her locking the door - and Scene 164 plays altogether differently in the film because it's practically nothing like what's scripted, but I honestly believe it might just be the better for that fact because what does happen is quite simply one of the best scenes in the film, and I can't resist sharing the scene on video rather than simply provide captures and descriptions of how it differs -

(NOTE: Whenever I tried making the video back when this post was made, I was never satisfied with how it came out - plus, no matter what I tried, some members still had trouble trying to play it. But we've subsequently finally hit on both a MOD for the system and a video format that plays well:)

- Mrs. Collins, indeed!  [b003] - and when it comes to Scene 164, Grayson made some notes in her script that certainly still apply even though things were changed because she writes that Carlotta's attitude toward Tracy is "whatever you're doing, how dare you do it" and "your day is coming soon" - and when it comes to Scene 165, things play out as scripted up to the point that Tracy is supposed to see the sleeve of Quentin's jacket on the floor in back of the chair - instead Quentin spot's that the jacket has somehow fallen down on the couch and as he begins to move toward, Tracy quickly moves to get to it first -

- but as she's trying to put the keys back in the pocket, they fall to the floor -

- after which Tracy and Quentin share an intense look -

- before Quentin picks up the keys -

- and they exchange another intense look -

- before Quentin proceeds to exit the room -

- leaving Tracy standing there -

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I wasn't able to watch the clip. I got a message saying that the plug-in was not supported. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

I know that the plot hinges on it but I am somewhat surprised that Tracy doesn't assert herself more with Carlotta. Maybe she couldn't come right out and fire her for insubordination but at the very least, she should have said that she would be discussing her behavior with Mr. Collins. Even Maggie Collins did that!

(ADMIN: Ignore the first part of this post because subsequently a different video was updated and posted in Reply #430)
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I wasn't able to watch the clip. I got a message saying that the plug-in was not supported. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

Sorry about that.  [ghost_sad]  One of the other problems I was having trying to come up with some new easy way to display better quality video was that a lot of the methods said that cell phones and even certain browsers didn't support them. I thought the forums native method was supported by cell phones and all browsers, but perhaps not - or maybe it's just that something wacky is happening here in this topic. Try checking out this post to see if you can play the Depp/DS video in it:
... And just for you, Nicky:

(ADMIN: Ignore this post because subsequently a different video was updated and posted in Reply #430)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Same issue. I think it's probably a cell phone issue. I get that from another sites as well.

(ADMIN: Ignore this post because subsequently a different video was updated and posted in Reply #430)
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Try going back to the spoiler and downloading the link I've just added...