Author Topic: The Return of Yet Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [** Now featuring unshot Julia material - see reply #194**]  (Read 39556 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: The Return of Yet Another New Slideshow (Sort of)
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2015, 11:24:05 PM »
And wrapping things up:

Fisher nods toward the slide under the microscope.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 39/Scene 103 - Fisher: 'I found traces of human saliva in the wound.'

- comes up - and the script continues with:

And as Patterson stares at him, we HOLD for a beat, and ...

End of scene.

And as for what's different, Fisher doesn't simply nod toward the slide under the microscope, he takes off his glasses and points to the slide before explaining he found human saliva - and then he and Patterson share a look as the shot holds a beat.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »
For the rest of the month we'll be detailing scenes/sequences that don't appear in any version of the pilot or that only appear in MPI's restored version. 

First up:

104   EXT. COLLINWOOD - DAY

The storm has intensified. CAMERA TIGHTENS to the ground floor
      dining room french doors.

105   INT. DINING ROOM - DAY

Roger is sitting at the big table, an egg cup and a newspaper
      in front of him. Outside, the rain is slashing at the windows.

A beat, and Vicki ENTERS.

ROGER
                Good morning.

VICKI
                Good morning. Any word about
                Daphne?

ROGER
                     (shakes his head)
                They promised to call if there's
                any change.

(CONTINUED)

105   CONTINUED:

Vicki glances at the windows, shivers slightly, then crosses
      to the sideboard for some breakfast. Roger watches her a beat.

And that's where today's quote -

Page 40/Scene 105 - Roger: 'I assume you've already met David?'

- comes up.

And as for what's different, Scene 104 does not appear in any version of the pilot - Scene 105 actually begins with a shot of the rain slashing against the windows and then, as we hear the crinkling of a newspaper, the camera pans to the left, not to reveal Roger, but Mrs. Johnson, in an unscripted appearance, who is arranging the breakfast choices on the sideboard. When Vicki enters the room, she greets Mrs. Johnson with an unscripted "Good morning, Mrs. Johnson" -

- and Mrs. Johnson follows with "Good morning, Miss Winters" as she begins to leave the room, the camera following her and revealing Roger sitting at the table with his newspaper. As for the rest of what's been shared of the scene so far, the dialogue plays exactly as scripted, though Vicki doesn't glance at the windows or shiver slightly, and she doesn't have to cross to the sideboard for some breakfast because, as can be seen in the shared screen cap, she's already standing at it - and rather than Roger shaking his head, he actually puts down the newspaper and takes off his glasses as he explains about Daphne's condition.

And as a sidenote, the room used for this scene is actually Greystone's Morning Room, where breakfast would actually be served. Greystone's Dining Room won't actually be seen until the series.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2015, 11:00:06 PM »
Continuing:

Vicki hesitates, then looks at him with a smile.

VICKI
                Yes.

ROGER
                And...? What do you think?

She crosses to the table, putting her plate down, while
      composing her answer.

And that's where the first part of today's quote -

Page 40/Scene 105 - Vicki: 'Well, to be perfectly honest, he started out by trying to scare the living daylights out of me last night.'

- comes up, followed by the script explaining:

Roger looks at her, concerned, but Vicki breaks into a warm
      smile.

And that's where the second part of today's quote -

Page 40/Scene 105 - Vicki (CONT'D: 'And... he hit the jackpot.'

- comes up, followed by the script next explaining:

A beat as she begins to eat, seemingly calm about the
      experience.

And when it comes to the differences, Vicki does hesitate a bit before confirming that she's met David, but she doesn't offer a smile and she drops the "perfectly honest" for a simple "honest," and she completely drops the "last night" - and Vicki doesn't cross to the table or hesitate before she delivers the first part of what she thinks because she's actually plating her breakfast as she says it - however, she does cross to the table with a tilt to her head and an ironic smile as she explains that David did indeed succeed in scaring her, after which she sits down at the table with her plate, but she doesn't begin to eat. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2015, 09:02:25 PM »
Finishing off page 40 of the script, first with Thursday's quote -

Page 40/Scene 105 - Roger: 'I'm sorry. I'll have a talk with him.'

- followed by Friday's quote -

Page 40/Scene 105 - Vicki: 'No need, little boys have been terrorizing teachers and babysitters forever. Mischief goes with the territory.'

- after which the script explains:

A beat as he looks at her.

- And then yesterday's quote -

Page 40/Scene 105 - Roger: 'Miss Winters, I'm afraid you will find David to be a very difficult child.'

- comes up, after which the script also explains:

Vicki looks at him, trying to allay perceived fears, but also
      being professional.

(CONTINUED)

And as for what's different, Vicki sits at the table and picks up her napkin as Roger says he'll have a talk with David - she places the napkin in her lap as she delivers her reply to Roger - and once she's done, she starts to eat - however, unlike what the script indicates, Roger doesn't actually look at her quite yet as instead he smiles at her remark while looking down at the table, and he remains looking down until he's almost done telling Vicki that David's a very difficult child, although, what he actually says is "I'm afraid, Miss Winters, you're going to find that David is a very difficult child", whereupon he does look at her.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2015, 10:52:17 PM »
A bit late, but picking things up with page 41:

Revised 2/28/90

105   CONTINUED: (2)

And things start off with Sunday's quote -

Page 41/Scene 105 - Vicki: 'Mr. Collins, I'm sure it hasn't been easy for David... but give me some time with him. It's best not to expect too much, too soon.'

- followed by Monday's quote -

Page 41/Scene 105 - Roger: 'Miss Winters... I learned a long time ago never to expect anything. That way, I'm never disappointed.'

- at which point the script concludes the scene with:

The thought strikes a note with Vicki. A beat, then Roger looks
      out the window, frowns.

And when it comes to the differences, Vicki actually says "Mr. Collins, I'm sure it hasn't been easy for David... give me some time with him. I think it's best not to expect too much, too soon" - the "Miss Winters..." part of Roger's lines is dropped - he stares off into space when he tells Vicki he learned a long time ago never to expect anything, but then he looks directly at her when he explains that that way he's never disappointed - and after saying that he doesn't look out the window because what he actually does is take a drag from his cigarette and then turn away as what he's said strikes a note with Vicki, who soon looks away and down to her plate.

And so ends another great character scene (particularly for Roger) that ended up snipped from the NBC version.  [snow_sad]  But thankfully the restored MPI VHS has shared it with us...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2015, 10:22:20 PM »
Moving on to the next sequence:

105A  EXT. COLLINWOOD - DAY

As the Sheriff's car moves through the rain, up toward the Great
      House.

106   INT. FOYER

As Elizabeth opens the door for the Sheriff.

And that's where Tuesday's quote -

Page 41/Scene 106 - Patterson: 'Sorry to bother you so early, Mrs. Stoddard.'

- comes up in the script, followed by -

Page 41/Scene 106 - Liz: 'Come in, George... Terrible weather.'

- Wednesday's quote. Though you may ask yourselves why was Patterson already inside the foyer in Tuesday's screen cap in the slideshow -

- but he was at the door and just entering in -

- Wednesday's screen cap. Well, that's because Liz and Patterson's lines were flipped in the pilot. And as for other differences, unscripted rumbles of thunder are heard throughout Scene 105A and this portion of Scene 106 - after Liz opens the door to him in Scene 106, Patterson greats her with an unscripted "Good morning, Elizabeth" - and after Liz tells him to come in, he responds with an unscripted "Thank you" - and then after Liz comments on the weather, Patterson replies with an unscripted "Yes, it is" - and as a final unscripted bit for this portion of the scene, after Patterson apologizes for bothering them so early, he adds "but as you know this is important."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2015, 10:50:35 PM »
Continuing, and picking up in the script with Patterson and Liz:

He steps in, shakes the rain off his hat, follows her into the
      main hail. Roger ENTERS SHOT.

ROGER
               What is it?

(CONTINUED)

106   CONTINUED:

Vicki enters, starts toward the stairs, Elizabeth calls her
      over.

LIZ
               Our new governess, Sheriff ...
               Vicki Winters.

PATTERSON
               Nice to meet you, Miss Winters.
                    (then, to Elizabeth)

And that's when the first part of Thursday's scripted quote -

Page 42/Scene 106 - Patterson: 'Elizabeth, would it be all right if I talked to Willie Loomis?'

- comes up - after which the script indicates:

Roger and Elizabeth exchange a glance.

And then the second part of Thursday's quote -

Page 42/Scene 106 - Patterson (CONT'D): 'I understand he was acting pretty strange last night. (looks at Vicki) You were there, weren't you Miss Winters? At the Blue Whale? I heard he almost took a swing at Joe...'

- comes up, followed by yesterday's quote:

Page 42/Scene 106 - Vicki: 'Yes, but nothing really happened.'

And as for the differences, Patterson doesn't step in then as indicated because, as we've already seen in the previous post, he's already in (and as he doesn't shake the rain off of his hat before entering (though he does an unscripted wiping of his feet)) - though Patterson does follow Liz into the main hall, and Roger does enter - however, upon entering Roger greets Patterson with an unscripted "Hi, George" and Patter replies with a simple unscripted "Roger" before Roger delivers the scripted line "What is it?" - and when it comes to Vicki's entrance, Liz actually calls out an unscripted "Victoria" before introducing her to Patterson, though as Victoria Winters and not Vicki Winters (and if I'm not mistaken, throughout the entire series I think that more often than not Liz refers to her as Victoria rather than Vicki - I'll have to pay attention the next time I watch) - and after Patterson says it's nice to meet her, Vicki responds with an unscripted "It's nice to meet you" - then, rather than asking, Patterson actually says "Elizabeth, I'd like to talk to Willie Loomis" - though Liz and Roger do not share a glance there - and Patterson finishes his lines by referring to Joe as "Joe Haskell" rather than the simple Joe - and Vicki's actual reply is "Well, yes, but nothing really happened."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2015, 08:16:44 PM »
And wrapping up the current scene we begin with Saturday's first quote -

Page 42/Scene 106 - Liz: 'I don't understand, you've been looking for an animal.'

- followed by Saturday's second quote -

Page 42/Scene 106 - Patterson: (a beat) 'We were wrong.'

- followed by Sunday's second quote -

Page 42/Scene 106 - Liz: 'Oh my God! What kind of a person could have done such a thing? You can't be serious in thinking that it might be Willie...'

- after which the script continues with -

PATTERSON
               I didn’t say that, Elizabeth.

- and then today's quote -

Page 42/Scene 106 - Roger: 'He'll be over at the stables. If you want me to, Sheriff, I'll go over there with you.'

- comes up - and the script concludes the scene with:

PATTERSON
               Fine.

And as the two men start for the foyer, we . . .

And as for what's different, Liz actually says "I don't understand. You're looking for an animal" - to which Patterson responds "Well, we were wrong" - and an incredulous Liz replies "Oh my God! What kind of a person could have done such a thing? (a line that appeared in many of the promos) But you don't seriously think Willie had anything to do with it..." - then after Patterson says he didn't necessarily say he thinks Daphne's attacker was Willie, Roger offers "He'll be down at the stables. I'll go down there with you if you'd like" - and after Patterson says "That'll be fine", Roger leaves the main hall, and Patterson bids the ladies goodbye with a simple and unscripted "Miss Winters, Elizabeth" - and after he leaves the room, Liz and Vicki join hands and look deeply concerned and confused.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2015, 08:52:26 PM »
Getting into the next sequence:

thru   OMITTED

109   EXT. COLLINWOOD STABLES - DAY

The rain has let up somewhat as the Sheriff's car pulls into
       the stable area and the two men get out. In the b.g. WE NOTICE
       Willie's truck parked nearby.

ROGER
                 That's his pickup.

And he leads the Sheriff into the building.

110   INT. STABLE STAIRS

As Roger and the Sheriff start up the narrow flight of steps
       toward Willie's garret room.

Stopping in front of his door, Roger knocks loudly.   

Page 43/Scene 110 - Roger: 'LOOMIS! Loomis!'

- comes up.

And as far as differences go, the rain has not let up in Scene 109 because it's still pouring hard - we don't simply notice Willie's truck parked in the background because Patterson parks his car right next to it - after Roger identifies it as Willie's pickup, he follows with an unscripted "Let's check his room", to which Patterson replies with an unscripted "All right" - an unscripted burst of thunder sounds as the two men run into the stable and then in Scene 110 start up the stairs - and Roger calls out "LOOMIS!" only once as he and Patterson continue up the stairs before they even get to the door to Willie's room.

One thing that's often intriguing as we go through the script is how there are many indications of omitted scenes. When reading any scripts I've often presumed such scenes are ones that were once in the script but were dropped somewhere along the way in the rewriting process before the final script version was reached. But in some cases, especially in the instances here of omitted Scenes 107 and 108 and the way the script certainly seems to indicate that the end of Scene 106 led into the start of Scene 107, it would be interesting to know what might have gone on in them. Were they other scenes involving Roger and Patterson, Liz and Vicki, or were they something else entirely? But I suppose we'll never know...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
Picking with the last descriptive line from what was posted from the script in the previous post, Roger doesn't really knock upon reaching the door to Willie's room. Things begin to play out as the script indicates for the next scene in the sequence:

111   INT. WILLIE'S ROOM

As the two men enter, look around the disheveled space. No
      Willie. Roger angrily grabs two empty bourbon bottles from
      Willie's desk, hurls them into a waste basket.

And that's when the first part of today's quote -

Page 43/Scene 111 - Roger: 'You'll probably find him sleeping it off somewhere.'

- comes up in the script. And the script continues with:

The Sheriff crosses over to look at Willie's desk. He ricks
       up dog-eared paperback, "Orologium Sapientiae: The Book of
       the Dead" and stares at it... jots down something on a little
       notepad.

And then the second part of today's quote -

Page 43/Scene 111 - Roger (CONT'D): 'A very strange young man, our Mr. Loomis.'

- comes up in the script. However, in the actual scene in the pilot much of this portion of the scene plays differently. After Roger and Patterson enter Willie's room and exchange a glance at the sight of the disheveled space, Roger actually says "A very strange young man, our Mr. Loomis" as he walks past Willie's desk and to a table in the room where he picks up two empty liquor bottles, then says "He's probably sleeping it off somewhere", and then hurls the bottles into an unseen waste basket (apparently the Collinses don't redeem them for the deposits  [snow_wink]). And Patterson hasn't crossed over to Willie's desk - though we've yet to know it because he's off camera, Patterson has simply stayed in the same spot as when he entered the room.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »
And concluding the current scene/sequence, in response to Roger's remarks that Willie is strange and is probably off sleeping somewhere other than his room, the script indicates:

Patterson nods.

Page 43/Scene 111 - Patterson: 'Well, we have to talk to him. When you see him, tell him to come down to the station house.'

- comes up - after which the script indicates:

(CONTINUED)

Revised 2/28/90

111   CONTINUED:

ROGER
                Of course, Sheriff.

And as the two men start out of the room, we . . .

End of scene/sequence.

And when it comes to what's different, Patterson doesn't nod in response to Roger's remarks and after making them and before Patterson replies, Roger walks back over to him near the doorway to Willie's room - and Patterson actually replies with "Well, I need to talk to him. When you see him, you tell him to come down to the station house" - and after Roger replies as scripted and Patterson gives an unscripted nod, they not only start out of the room as scripted, but they also close the door behind them.

And that concludes the current section of the script that only appears on MPI's VHS. Beginning with tomorrow's installments, the slideshow will continue with what is also in the NBC version of the pilot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2015, 10:46:08 PM »
Starting the first of only two sequences this month:

112   EXT. STONE COTTAGE - MORNING

A small, stone cottage by the sea. Large, dark pines a1most
      seem as if they are trying to crowd the squat, sturdy structure
      into the stormy Atlantic.

113   INT. COTTAGE STUDY

PANNING MICHAEL WOODARD, an aging, eccentric professor of
      Archaeology and Parapsychology, as he enters with two steaming
      cups of coffee ... TO REVEAL Sheriff Patterson standing by the
      big bay window overlooking the sea.

It's a cosy, low-beamed, cluttered room crammed with books and
      every kind of weird artifact ... antiques, strange tribal
      relics, etc. A large fire burns in the grate.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 44/Scene 113 - Patterson: 'Mike... what is this?'

- comes up - followed by the script explaining -

He holds up a very strange-looking, skull-like, African object.

- before today's second quote -

Page 44/Scene 113 - Woodard: 'A Marawese Fertility Vessel... A repository for the souls of tribal elders.'

- comes up.

And as for what's different? Well, much. For starters, Scene 112 is actually two shots - the first is of waves crashing on a beach in the storm, and then the trees and shrubs in the shot morph into trees and shrubs and Patterson's car as it drives in the storm along a roadway to Woodard's cottage. Scene 113 does not begin with panning Woodard as he brings coffee to Patterson - rather it begins with a close shot of the Marawese Fertility Vessel and the shot pulls back to show that Patterson is holding it - then as Patterson actually asks "Professor... what is this?" (no first name basis), we see Woodard in the background coming down a set of stairs because the room is actually two stories high - and Woodard delivers his line as he continues down the stairs and over to Patterson - and what Woodard is actually carrying is a book. Also, there is no fire in view - yet.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2015, 11:22:28 PM »
After Woodard's comment that what Patterson is holding is a Marawese Fertility Vessel that was used as a repository for the souls of tribal elders, the script indicates:

Patterson makes a face, holds it away from him.

And that's when Saturday's first quote -

Page 44/Scene 113 - Patterson: 'Any left?'

- comes up, followed by Saturday's second quote -

Page 44/Scene 113 - Woodard: 'Very likely.'

- coming up, and followed by the script explaining:

Patterson, with great care, replaces it where he took it from.
      Woodard hands him one of the cups. And they cross to two
      overstuffed chairs by the big stone hearth, sit.

(CONTINUED)

Revised 2/28/90

113   CONTINUED:

WOODARD
                I'm dreadfully sorry to hear about
                the Collins girl... How can I
                help?

PATTERSON
                Plain and simple...

And he continues with today's quote:

Page 45/Scene 113 - Patterson: 'I've got a madman out there and I don't know where to begin looking for him.'

And when it comes to the differences, there are several. Patterson doesn't make a face or hold it away after learning about the Marawese Fertility Vessel - though he does give Woodard a unscripted "Yeah, sure" type of grin after Woodard says it's very likely there could still be tribal elders' souls in it - after which Patterson simply puts it back (during which the action is shot using a high angle shot, but presumably not so as to imply someone is watching them as the script indicates we were apparently supposed to assume from the high angle shot of Vicki, Liz and Carolyn talking in the main hall in Scene 33). And obviously, given Woodard isn't carrying cups of coffee, he doesn't hand Patterson one of them - though they do cross to two overstuffed chairs by a big stone hearth and sit as Woodard asks how he can help - and once they're in place is when things switch back to a normal shot and we see that there's a fire going in the hearth and that Patterson picks up a cup of coffee that's already been laid out on a coffee table between the hearth and the chairs.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2015, 08:10:15 PM »
The scene continues with:

Woodard looks at Patterson for a moment.

WOODARD   
                Has the girl been able to tell
                you anything?

PATTERSON
                Nothing.
                     (a beat)
                And what’s worse, Hyram is afraid
                she may never remember anything.

Woodard shakes his head, then:

And that's when Monday's first quote -

Page 45/Scene 113 - Woodard: 'You say she lost a good deal of blood. Exactly how much?'

- comes up, followed by Monday's second quote -

Page 45/Scene 113 - Patterson: 'Over two litres.'

- coming up, followed by the first part of Monday's third quote -

Page 45/Scene 113 - Woodard: '... Almost half her blood volume.'

- coming up, followed by the script explaining:

Patterson nods.

And that's when the second part of Monday's third quote -

Page 45/Scene 113 - Woodard (CONT'D): 'And your theory is that whoever did this took the blood with him?!'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

PATTERSON
                I know it sounds crazy.

A long moment as Woodard just sits there looking at him. Then:

(CONTINUED)

Revised 2/28/90

113   CONTINUED (2):

WOODARD   
                Not necessarily.

Page 46/Scene 113 - Woodard: 'There have been documented cases of unbalanced people who've believed themselves to be vampires and actually drank human blood...'

- comes up, followed by the script continuing with:

PATTERSON
                What about some kind of weird
                blood cult thing?

WOODARD
                That's a possibility too.

A beat, Patterson looks at him.

PATTERSON
                Mike, whatever it is, I need an
                answer fast. I gotta have some
                clue what I'm lookin' for here.

He rises, takes a manilla envelope from his raincoat pocket,
      hands it to Woodard.

PATTERSON (CONT’ D)
                A full report with all the
                details.

WOODARD
                I'll get on this right away,
                George.

And as he escorts the Sheriff out of the room, we . . .

End of scene, and end of sequence.

And as for the differences, again, there are quite a few - but I'm going to wait until the next post to get into them all...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2015, 11:06:02 PM »
First off in the above section of the script, in the pilot Woodard doesn't actually look at Patterson for a moment because he jumps right in and actually asks "And the girl was able to tell you nothing?" - and once Patterson explains that Daphne might never remember anything, Woodard also doesn't shake his head, he goes right into asking about how much blood Daphne lost, is quite surprised to learn it was almost half her blood volume, and then actually points out "Now, your theory is that whoever did this took it with him" - and Patterson actually pauses between saying "I know" and "It sounds crazy" - and after saying it's not necessarily crazy, Woodard leans forward in his chair and actually points out "There have been documented cases of unbalanced people who came to believe themselves to be vampires and actually drank human blood..." - and given that some have said it's a bit quick the way the actual pilot jumps to a possible vampire conclusion, it's too bad that both Patterson's "What about some kind of weird blood cult thing?" and Woodard's "That's a possibility too" is dropped in the pilot in favor of Patterson waiting a beat and then, as the unscripted sound of thunder is heard again, simply questioning with an unscripted "Two liters?", to which Woodard nods in the affirmative - and again Patterson doesn't refer to Woodard by his first name, his next lines begin with "Whatever it is" -  and after delivering those lines Patterson doesn't rise from his chair as scripted because he simply picks up and gives Woodard the manila envelope, after which he actually says "That's a full report, all the details" - and after removing the papers from the envelope, Woodard looks at Patterson and assures him "I'll get on it right away" - and after more unscripted thunder, rather than having Woodard escort Patterson out (because they're both still sitting while also being shot from up above again), Patterson thanks Woodard with an unscripted "As always, I appreciate it", to which Woodard nods. End of scene.