Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173609 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #840 on: March 26, 2017, 11:31:31 PM »
Thanks, G. This was on my DS bucket list.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 26, 2017, 11:39:21 PM »
Finally, our prayers are answered!  [crowdhappy]  Not to mention I can watch it again and correct mistakes in "The Return of Yet Another New Slideshow (Sort of)" pilot script topic (because I'm sure there are some) and/or answer some of the questions I had there but didn't remember the answers to...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 27, 2017, 12:02:05 AM »
One thing I've already noticed that I'd completely forgotten is that there are CGI parts added to Greystone to make it look larger as Collinwood. Quite possibly it was done similarly to the way the Depp/DS film added the second and third floors to the set they built for exteriors, only for the '04 pilot the CGI additions were added to shots of the existing Greystone:

It's much more effective than the model they used for the '91 series. But then the CGI effects available in '04 weren't available back then...

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 27, 2017, 12:12:05 AM »
Thank you!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 27, 2017, 12:30:08 AM »
I just hope that the person who uploaded it (who I believe many of us know or are at least aware of in fandom) had permission to upload it. Or if he didn't, he doesn't get the book thrown at him by WB. We know how WB can react when something they own is uploaded online illegally...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 27, 2017, 12:55:29 AM »
Curiouser and curiouser.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 27, 2017, 02:15:57 AM »
Thanks, that was interesting to see.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 27, 2017, 03:36:02 AM »
I just watched the full version of the pilot that's up on YouTube and it's not the version that's been shown at the Fests. Well, at least not the version that was shown in LA in '05. The version then had placement cards in a few spots to indicate where unfinished CGI was to be added. Also, the end went on longer. But then cutting back the screaming between Vicki and Angelique is a good thing and is something that was intended but never actually done. Well, at least not done until some point after the '05 screening and this month's uploading to YouTube. Apparently someone edited the original version. Though apart from the missing placement cards and shorter end, I don't believe anything else is different.

I must say, though, that I enjoyed watching it just as much as I did back in '05.

And there are most definitely things that we completely forgot about when we did the "The Return of Yet Another New Slideshow (Sort of)" pilot script topic back in '14. We had 99.9% of the dialogue changes from the script correct, but there are several places where actions and settings are different from the ways they're presented in the script...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 27, 2017, 02:55:05 PM »
this release has certainly kicked up a fuss on all the FB DS pages. suffice to say most of the comments are on how much more or less it "sucks" than the Burton version.

at least words like "travesty" and "abomination' are not being applied to it as liberally.  [easter_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 27, 2017, 03:21:59 PM »
I have suspected since this summer that there were plans to release the pilot on video. Years ago I was watching some video at a Fest and they were all prefaced by the title "Bloopers and Treasure." Lo and behold, these were available later on the DS-B&T DVD. I can't find my program, but "The House" and several other videos all had another title. The pilot was also shown along with other items under that title. It was interesting that there were no instructions to turn of cameras or admonitions about filming. I saw a video of the pilot floating around private fans, although I don't think it was posted anywhere. It was a camera shot of the screen.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 27, 2017, 05:19:37 PM »
I really have only vague memories of that 2005 screening.  I do remember that I found the ending ridiculous.  So it was a surprise when I watched it again and actually thought the ending now worked.  It certainly works a hell of a lot better this way than what I recall from the unfinished edit that was screened over a decade ago.

I would guess that there was going to be a different theme for Josette's music box.  It's amazing just how much they crammed into this.  There were originally going to be more scenes for Angelique. I've wondered if those were actually filmed.

The most significant difference between this and the Burton-Depp film, for this viewer, is that Alec Newman is outstanding as Barnabas.  I thought Depp was a disaster in the role. Obviously, we are all at liberty to agree to disagree.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 27, 2017, 06:28:23 PM »
this release has certainly kicked up a fuss on all the FB DS pages. suffice to say most of the comments are on how much more or less it "sucks" than the Burton version.

The '04 pilot definitely has its share of detractors. The fact will always be that there's no possibility to ever please everybody. If that were the case there would never be an unfavorable review about anything.

Is the '04 pilot 100% perfect? No. But then neither is the original series. So...

As I always try to say, the best thing to try to do is to try look at any new version of DS on its own terms and try not to compare it to what's come before. Most importantly, is it true to the characters, regardless of how some other actors may have played them compared to how the new actors may be playing them? And while DS isn't Shakespeare, the analogy to DS regarding how different actors interpret Shakespeare is a valid one. But speaking of what's come before, as I've also said, one of the main reasons I enjoy the pilot as much as I do is that it's the freshest take on DS up to the point that it was made. It doesn't slavishly follow the hoDS mold, which is what DC had actually wanted but he was overruled by John Wells, DC's fellow exec producer, and Mark Verheiden, another exec producer and the writer of the pilot. And thanks heavens for it. And Verheiden had fresh takes for a series had the pilot been picked up, but sadly they never got to play out. And similar to NBC and the cancellation of the '91 series, it's too bad that TPTB at the WB came to realize after it was too late that they'd made a mistake in passing on the pilot...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 27, 2017, 08:03:30 PM »
Just finished watching it.  Wow!  It was so much better than I had expected it would be, based on almost everything I've read about it.  It's certainly not my favorite incarnation of DS, and I have quibbles with a few scenes here and there--which I also have about every other version.  There was a bit too much of the is-it-a-dream-or-isn't-it stuff for my taste, and I didn't care for the Suspiria-like lighting schemes.  (And the delivery of the last line was too joke-y...)  But the cast was overall excellent.  The only person I think was miscast was Julia Hoffman, but that's because I'm assuming the classic unrequited love plotline was going to come into play during the series.  The pathos in such a story works much better if Julia is middle-aged.  (But then again, it worked so well in the original DS because Hall was only two years older than Frid; even though Barnabas was supposed to be quite a bit younger than Frid was himself...)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 27, 2017, 11:15:51 PM »
I'm sure that it will shortly be pulled, as the PTB call out the lawyers (even though, as has been stated here, it's not the "full" version show at past festivals).  Again, may I ask why?  Why keep it from general audiences?  For what purpose?  It's not like it's going to make any money elsewhere.  It's almost 20 years old (well, give a few).  Putting it on DVD/Blu-Ray or whatever won't create a massive selling point of millions of customers.  I certainly won't pay $59.99 for a copy as much as I want to see it.  I don't want to see it that bad.  I've got lights to keep on.  What is it with these bigwigs?  Let it go for free on youtube and elsewhere.  It expands the market for the franchise.  Those who were in it or involved in it have moved on.  Probably most don't even remember their participation.  Those who are financially involved in DS somehow forget that only a growing market will keep the franchise alive and bring in the ca-ching.  And letting fans or whomever put stuff out there without any of the pennies going to the owners (especially you-know-who) is free advert.  The PTB (and especially you-know-who, even if he isn't involved in the '04 attempted reboot) are like bridezillas who expect everyone to give them a gift of hundreds of dollars to pay for the dry chicken or fishy salmon and the centerpieces with goldfish swimming about in water-filled jars with flowers sticking out.  Sorry, we ain't impressed.  No blender, toaster-oven, place-setting, statue-with-a-clock in its stomach, or check for you.  You spent the money.

Sorry for the rant, but you know me.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 27, 2017, 11:28:36 PM »
you-know-who, even if he isn't involved in the '04 attempted reboot

You-know-who worked as an associate producer on the pilot...