Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173477 times)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #600 on: May 11, 2004, 02:12:08 AM »
I am remaining optimistic that the WB will pick up DS to series. But I do agree Nancy that there are some options available to Wells and Curtis should the WB fail to pick up DS. It would be a bit ironic if John Wells, with his direct connections to NBC, attempts to sell DS to that network.

Someone may have already suggested this, or I might just be shouted down, but despite the SciFi Channel treating fans so shabbily, does anyone think that they might be interested in a new DS Series?  They have done revivals of series before, i.e. Battlestar Galactic, as well as picking up Stargate SG1 from Showtime.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Valerie Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 11, 2004, 02:18:33 AM »
All "Dark Shadows" fans need to send e-mail to The WB at faces@thewb.com

There is a strong possibility that The WB may NOT pick up the new series for it's fall schedule.

So please send your e-mail NOW!

For more details please go to www.barnabasundead.com

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 11, 2004, 04:02:05 AM »
I hate to say this, but if the WB is lukewarm about the pilot, which they themselves helped develop, maybe it's not so hot.

I'd rather have no "new" Dark Shadows at all rather than a not-so-great one that folded in ignominy after a few weeks.

And what effect might a so-so incarnation of the series have on the original series?  If the new series were a dog, how likely would another network jump at the chance to re-run the old one?

I never thought I'd say this and I apologize for spreading gloom and doom ... but the original DS's reputation and memory is more important to me than any new version will ever be.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 11, 2004, 05:07:17 AM »
vlad,what you say is true.while i was looking foreward to a new d.s.,i knew it wasn't a "done deal".i'm disappointed,but in truth i know a remake would never have supplanted o.s. in our hearts.what happened there was a rare animal.it's few t.v. shows that have fans talking about it 30 years after it's run.i'm still holding out hope for the new show, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't diminish our enjoyment of the original. :-*
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 11, 2004, 05:51:04 AM »
I hate to say this, but if the WB is lukewarm about the pilot, which they themselves helped develop, maybe it's not so hot.

Well, we probably won't know for sure what's going on until there's some sort of official statement put out. But for what it's worth, the person on the WB's official forum who *seems* to be in the know posted in one topic that reshoots were done on the pilot for "retooling" of the ending, and in another topic "that the pilot didn't go to well," that it's "not horrible," but it "needs retooling." What remains a bit unclear, though, is whether the retooling and reshoots were done prior to the WB having seen it or afterward - and that would have made all the difference because if it were afterward, there would still be some hope. However, this person subsequently posted that they heard from someone in John Wells' office that DS isn't ever going to air.  :(  So, regardless of the time frame of the retooling, it doesn't appear to look good...

I'd rather have no "new" Dark Shadows at all rather than a not-so-great one that folded in ignominy after a few weeks.

I'm afraid I have to agree. But we should also keep in mind that all this info is being stated second and even third hand, so we don't really know how reliable it is.

If there is truth in the retooling story, what does seem odd is that, unless the script was somehow changed at some point prior to production but after the WB had approved it, one would assume that the WB was already well aware of how the pilot was going to end. Though I suppose the way the ending read on paper and the way it was ultimately shot/edited could have been vastly different.

I guess time will tell...

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 11, 2004, 06:23:19 AM »
Sable Ranch has been used in dozens of productions. Mostly westerns. But it was also used as a stand-in for England for some of the exteriors in '93's "Robin Hood: Men In Tights" (they built a fiberglass castle - check out some of the photos on (URL)) and more recently for exteriors in Disney's Haunted Mansion (check out some of those photos (URL)).

Thanks, MB.  Looks like a pretty neat location!

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 11, 2004, 06:37:55 AM »
I sent an email to faces@thewb.com and hope that more people will too. How will we ever know if this show is wonderful or not if it never airs?

If this show is aired and it is good it can only help bring more fans to the other versions of Dark Shadows.

This is the best chance we have to keep interest and re-newed interest in Dark Shadows. If you want to see Soap Net or another channel pick up the original show. We need to show that there is still an audience, and a growing new audience for this show.

Misa

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #607 on: May 11, 2004, 06:57:47 AM »
Well, we probably won't know for sure what's going on until there's some sort of official statement put out. But for what it's worth, the person on the WB's official forum who *seems* to be in the know posted in one topic that reshoots were done on the pilot for "retooling" of the ending, and in another topic "that the pilot didn't go to well," that it's "not horrible," but it "needs retooling." What remains a bit unclear, though, is whether the retooling and reshoots were done prior to the WB having seen it or afterward - and that would have made all the difference because if it were afterward, there would still be some hope. However, this person subsequently posted that they heard from someone in John Wells' office that DS isn't ever going to air.  :(  So, regardless of the time frame of the retooling, it doesn't appear to look good...

Near the top of the page in the middle is the official press release for "Jack & Bobby."  However, nothing for DS, nor anything else.  The news about "Jack & Bobby" is dated today.

Still isn't over 'til the fat lady sings.  I am skeptical until all the facts are in.  Still no evidence that it can't be a mid-season replacement or that any of these "new shows" will make it.  Some of them may tank and in may walk Dark Shadows.

In any event, this thing got shot and on film.  Since 1991, it's gotten further then any other new Dark Shadows project.  It could be a stepping stone to other things.  John Wells is a big muky muck in Hollywood.   We are also not privy to said contract with the WB.  Is there a "oh no, I can't shop this elsewhere clause"?  I'd never sign that kinda of a deal unless it was a guaranteed or exclusive pick up or I got money out of the deal.  (But, MB truly knows my business sense or should I say "cents".  I may be more of a shark then John Wells. LOL!  ;))

It also brought us new fans in recent months and I never consider that a bad thing.  It brought the old show to the fore in the media.  Notice it was almost always with a Jonathan Frid picture. :)  Plus, we've kept the old DS Boards hopping!

In any event, I still remain an optimist.  I always will see the glass 1/2 full instead of 1/2 empty.  Life is full of surprises!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 11, 2004, 07:14:21 AM »
Mb I too am very perplexed about this alleged retooling of the pilot. As you said the time line is very crucial here. To make some sense of the uncertainity I would have to assume that the executives were not happy about something(s) in the pilot and that was communicated to the DS producers. If this is true it would then appear that the WB was going to permit a second screening of the pilot which may or may have not been done to date. In this sceanario there is still hope absent of what the WB "insider" as claimed. I think what the WB insider said about there was reshooting of scenes is highly unlikely. If we assume that the pilot was screened on last Wednesday, how on earth could all of the actors and filming crew get together in such a short period of time and then have the pilot re-edited in time for the second screening? My point I guess is that this WB insider may not know the whole story. In any event I wonder who will be putting out the official announcement of the status of the pilot?

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 11, 2004, 08:01:49 AM »
There were no reshoots on the pilot.

Just rumors and nonsense.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 11, 2004, 08:09:38 AM »
I know it would be very disappointing for us if DS isn't picked up, but considering all the anti-DS feeling from the Angel fans, it would certainly be ironic if DS isn't on, either!!
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 11, 2004, 08:11:40 AM »
There were no reshoots on the pilot.

Just rumors and nonsense.

Well, then quite obviously that calls into question everything that has been posted by that person on the WB's forum.  >:(  (But in their defense, I suppose it should be stated that they're seemingly relaying info that's being fed to them from other sources. Apparently it's those sources that really have no idea what they're saying, and who the hell knows why they're saying it?!  ::))

Thanks for clearing up the matter so quickly, Darren.  :)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 11, 2004, 08:15:01 AM »
Thanks MB and Darren. I guess at this time we do need some type of closure and/or a reason to hope. I will remain hopeful until informed otherwise.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 11, 2004, 08:30:03 AM »
No prob. Happy to help with whatever info I'm permitted to convey (which is nothing more than I've said so far...)

Say, can someone that's got a copy of the new Shadowgram email me a scan of the photo page &/or the new Barnabas portrait picture....I loved seeing that 'Blue Boy' inspired portrait on set and would love to see it again...

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 11, 2004, 09:01:55 AM »
I'd be happy knowing what his hair color is in the portrait. ;D