Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173403 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #465 on: April 27, 2004, 06:59:46 AM »
During my brief conversation with Verheiden on Thursday, April 22, he said they were editing material as they were shooting

So, in other words, PJ Hogan wasn't getting any sleep at all.  :D

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #466 on: April 27, 2004, 07:34:01 AM »
Probably not.  But, they may have had down days when they were looking for Julia, etc.  Any further guess on my part would be speculative since I don't know all the facts of the situation.  Plus, don't know that I'd want to know.  Still want to be surprised the day it airs, if it does.

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #467 on: April 27, 2004, 10:02:27 AM »
PJ wouldn't have physically done the editing himself, so he should have been able to get a little shut-eye along the way ;)

The editor assembles a cut from the footage, which is then fine-tuned and approved by the director.  It's a fairly common practice working on film, particularly with digital editing nowadays.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 27, 2004, 10:32:33 AM »
PJ wouldn't have physically done the editing himself, so he should have been able to get a little shut-eye along the way ;)

One would certainly hope so - not just for his sake, but for the sake of the quality of the pilot too.  :D

The editor assembles a cut from the footage, which is then fine-tuned and approved by the director.  It's a fairly common practice working on film, particularly with digital editing nowadays.

Well, yes.  :)  But there are exceptions. And I'm not saying PJ Hogan is this way because I honestly know very little about him and was making a joke with my previous post. But some directors are extremely hands on and, I suppose, an editor's worst nightmare because I've read accounts of where they'll practically stand over the editor's shoulder, picking which shot from which take they want to use and "supervising" almost the entire editing process.

One suspects, though, that with editing going on while Hogan was shooting, he mustn't be that sort of a director.  ;)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 27, 2004, 01:54:16 PM »
What about the actor who played Giles on Buffy being Professor Stokes?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 27, 2004, 03:02:46 PM »
He'd still be playing Giles......

Considering the common themes of Vampires and the Supernatural, and since the target audience would certainly include "Buffy" and "Angel" fans, that actor would simply be too identifiable as "Giles" to portray anyone else.

For the sake of his own career, I hope he finds a juicy villain to play for his next role. [vryevl]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 27, 2004, 05:53:43 PM »
My speculation was just that...I'm sure they'll have a rough cut ready to show the top brass by mid-may.

I am not sure how networks review pilots for consideration for its fall schedule. For example, the WB pilots for Lost In Space and Jack and Bobby were completed over three weeks ago. Just wondering if the WB will be reviewing their pilots during the same time period or will they see them on an individual basis when a pilot is ready to be reviewed. A decision on said pilots could have possibly already been made.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 27, 2004, 07:52:25 PM »
Just wondering if the WB will be reviewing their pilots during the same time period or will they see them on an individual basis when a pilot is ready to be reviewed. A decision on said pilots could have possibly already been made.

I'm sure that after a network has viewed each pilot, they probably place it a category that ranges anywhere from "very possible" to "no chance in hell" that it'll make the schedule. But one would hope, anyway, that they don't make a final decision on any pilot, no matter how good or bad, until after they've seen all their pilots so they can make a comprehensive comparison. If that's the case at the WB, the ultimate fate of both LIS and J&B is probably still up in the air...

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 27, 2004, 10:10:06 PM »
deleted

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 30, 2004, 02:32:51 PM »
For what it is worth, the TVTOME website predicts that Dark Shadows will make the WB's fall schedule.

www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/FeaturePage/featureid-113/

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 30, 2004, 03:35:26 PM »
jimbo...THANK YOU.
From your link, I did their search:

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-22792/

DARK SHADOWS 2004!!!!

:o :o :o :o

WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!

Patti

REPEATING...IT SAYS 2004!!!!!
What a Woman!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 30, 2004, 03:51:46 PM »
jimbo...THANK YOU.

My pleasure.
Again it is only one website's prediction. However, we can always use positive reinforcement. I think DS and Charmed will compliment each other pretty well.

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 30, 2004, 08:36:11 PM »
Double wooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you Jimbo, thank you Patti!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 30, 2004, 10:47:38 PM »
For what it is worth, the TVTOME website predicts that Dark Shadows will make the WB's fall schedule.

What's most interesting about their picks is that they fly in the face of the "conventional wisdom" that the WB will only schedule two new dramas - they've picked three (DS, LIS and Podigy (not Jack and Bobby)).

I think DS and Charmed will compliment each other pretty well.

And also for what it's worth, the schedule they've come up with is definitely thinking like a network programmer because, not only would Charmed/DS and Smallville/LIS compliment each other, but so would moving One Tree Hill after 7th Heaven and placing the new drama Prodigy after Gilmore Girls. But personally I'd hate to see a WB DS on at 9pm on Sundays because that's a killer time slot  :o  in which even a show like Angel, which was an already established series with a wide (for the WB) fan base, struggled when it was there in 2001-2002. A WB DS, like this season's WB Tarzan, would be a brand new show - and trying to establish a new scripted drama there is going to be very, very hard - just look at what happened to Tarzan. The only thing that seems to do well there is reality type programming like High School Reunion and Surreal Life. Though, of course, the WB isn't going to ask for my opinion.  [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 30, 2004, 11:07:22 PM »
Sunday at 9pm is when HBO shows whatever is their hottest, or newest program.  I wouldn't want to have to go up against that.  And I wouldn't want to have to choose between a new DS and the return of "Carnivale" either...... ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas