Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173567 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #390 on: April 13, 2004, 04:25:01 AM »
MB, Don't feel you have to post the entire article...that's kind of a frowned upon, copyright-wise anyway...
Just put up a link to the article.

And heck, don't pay $259 for a subscription---just take the free two week trial and when it ends resubscribe under different usernames...Friends of mine do it all the time!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 13, 2004, 06:44:38 AM »
Don't feel you have to post the entire article...that's kind of a frowned upon, copyright-wise anyway...
Just put up a link to the article.

Well, yeah (which is why I made sure I included every possible credit available for each article or even excerpt of an article that I posted) - but it's not likely that the majority of people who read the forum subscribe to Variety's site, so a link is pretty much worthless in that respect.  :(

And heck, don't pay $259 for a subscription---just take the free two week trial and when it ends resubscribe under different usernames...Friends of mine do it all the time!

Call me foolish, but I pay.  :)

And I'm sure you must have misunderstood your friends.  ;)  Friends of yours would never do such a thing.  [wink2]  NO ONE would EVER do such a thing!  [b003]  Right?  [lol3]

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 13, 2004, 03:26:39 PM »
Well, yeah (which is why I made sure I included every possible credit available for each article or even excerpt of an article that I posted) - but it's not likely that the majority of people who read the forum subscribe to Variety's site, so a link is pretty much worthless in that respect.  :(

Articles from Variety are available full-text through a number of databases that most public libraries do subscribe to (EBSCO Host MasterFile SELECT, Infotrac OneFile, Wilson). Chances are most people can access these offsite from their public libraries page and don't even know it.

All you need to do is provide a citation  8)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #393 on: April 14, 2004, 03:55:53 AM »
Check out the news section of http://www.collinwood.net for an interesting hint from Mark Verheiden about Julia Hoffman...

Hmmmmmmm...  maybe Julius Hoffman will finally get his day in the limelight? ;)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 14, 2004, 04:59:14 AM »
Can't wait to hear this casting news!

The Barn, Vicki, Julia triangle is such an integral part of the initial Barn storyline (thanks to Grayson  [thumb]) that it would be a shame to see them drop it. So, unless the WB is planning on going the homoerotic route, I don't think we'll see a male Dr. Hoffman.
(Though, that said, if they did, it wouldn't be the WB's first foray into gay or at least gay-leaning relationships. I may have to eat my words - but right now I'm pretty confident I probably won't...)

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 14, 2004, 05:14:08 AM »
I'm sortof hoping that hell will freeze over and dr. hoffman will be a babe.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 14, 2004, 05:20:36 AM »

Well, Robia LaMorte would have fit that bill. But, unless she was fibbing at the Creation Grand Slam Convention, she's got her sights set on a completely different role.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 14, 2004, 06:41:02 AM »
This just in from Variety:

Posted: Tue., Apr. 13, 2004, 10:04pm PT

WB decides Hu will be in 'Shadows'

Thesp to play physician in '60s remake

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

The WB finalized a few last-minute castings Tuesday, adding Kelly Hu ("X2: X-Men United") to the net's "Dark Shadows" pilot, and placing Heath Hyche ("Style and Substance") on the netlet's "Blue Collar" comedy sketch project.

In "Dark Shadows" Hu will play Dr. Julia Hoffman, a physician who soon discovers that Barnabas Collins is a vampire.

Warner Bros. TV and John Wells Prods. are behind "Dark Shadows," which is exec produced by Mark Verheiden, Dan Curtis and Wells. The remake of the classic '60s Goth soap also stars Martin Donovan, Matt Czuchry, Alexander Gould, Blair Brown, Marley Shelton, Ivana Milicevic, Alec Newman and Jessica Chastain.

Hu's other credits include "The Scorpion King," as well as TV series "Martial Law" and "Nash Bridges."

...[/b]

Date in print: Wed., Apr. 14, 2004, Los Angeles

Now the hunt for Hu photos online.  ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 14, 2004, 06:51:52 AM »
photos of Kelly Hu on wireimage.com

(has over 28 pages starting with most recent)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 14, 2004, 06:53:55 AM »
Check out:

The Unofficial Kelly Hu Fan Site

Kelly Hu dot Com
(requires Flash)

Ultimate Kelly Hu

Actress Kelly Hu

Kelly Hu Photo Gallerry
(I'd say you definitely got your babe, MIles.  ;))

Celebrity Desktop - Kelly Hu - Wallpaper, Screen Savers, Desktop ...

Kelly Hu

AskMen.com - Kelly Hu

And those are just the first eight sites Google came up with. Apparently she has quite the Web presence and quite the fan base, which can only help the WB DS should it go to series.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 14, 2004, 07:20:03 AM »
Well, it's not taking long for the news of Hu's casting to pop up on the non-DS sites - I just discovered this over on ComingSoon.net (accompanied by a decidedly "interesting" photo).

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #401 on: April 14, 2004, 08:08:51 AM »

Oh ye of little faith... ;)

Well, it's certainly a unexpected choice - the classic love triangle is shaping up to be pretty different, that's for sure.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 14, 2004, 08:18:58 AM »
How funny - I was thinking earlier tonight about asking whether there was any news about a Julia yet, but I figured that if there were, we'd know about it!  :)

She certainly is beautiful.  I know nothing about her acting, but she could possibly be very interesting in the part.  However, I wonder if they are considering a name change.  However good she may turn out to be in the role, she just doesn't seem like a Julia HOFFMAN.  ;D
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 14, 2004, 08:30:08 AM »
I was just checking Ms. Hu's extensive resume over on the Variety Web site, and her most recent TV appearances all look like ones that, if you didn't catch them the first time around, you're not likely to get a chance to see them because they were on shows that have since gone on "hiatus," which in their cases is the term for "don't expect to see them ever again, but we're not going to tell you that until we 'officially' cancel them." Oh, well.  :(

But for what it's worth, here they are:

Episode: Extremist Makeover
Show: Threat Matrix (Series (60 minutes) / ABC / 03/04)
Role:
Date: 01/29/2004
Synopsis: The Team reluctanctly works with an unsure suspect in order to identify three terrorists who underwent plastic surgery and are plotting to blow up a Nuclear Plant in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Episode: IInadmissible
Show: (Boomtown) (Series (60 minutes) / NBC / 03/04)
Role: (Rachel Durrell)
Date: 10/03/2003
Synopsis: Deputy DA David McNorris is out of rehab and lands in the middle of the Fithian case. He hits a snag when the defense attorney tears apart the cops in the case over the missing diamonds from heist. David's sobriety gets another test when his father shows up and says that he knows Donadoni. McNorris and the police find the missing link that puts Fithian away and brings down Donadoni.

Episode: The Love Of Money
Show: (Boomtown) (Series (60 minutes) / NBC / 03/04)
Role: (Rachel Durrell)
Date: 09/26/2003
Synopsis: When their friends are shot during a robbery, Fearless, Joel, Ray and Tom start their own investigation against department rules. They trace the killers to a mobster that everyone wants to get in prison. However, during their sting, they run into a detective running her own investigations into the bank robbers. They team up to catch the bank robbers during a spectacular heist. Now, it's up to McNorris to get one of the thieves to roll on the mobster.

I never watched Threat Matrix, so I have no idea what her appearance on that may have been like. But I was a big fan of Boomtown, I remember these two episodes, and her part in them.  They were the first and second episodes this season, and in the first, Hu, along with Rebecca DeMornay's character, planned a bank robbery (hmmm - is there a theme here? - Marley Shelton's character tried to rob a bank on Karen Sisko  ;)). However, after the heist, DeMornay double-crossed Hu's character and shot/killed her. So, she appeared in flashbacks in the second episode during DeMornay's character's trial. They were good episodes. But then, Boomtown was always good...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 14, 2004, 08:53:51 AM »
the classic love triangle is shaping up to be pretty different, that's for sure.

You know what they say - think outside the box and you often get rewarded. Well, the casting of Hu is definitely thinking outside the box, and pleasantly so IMO.  ;)  Now I really can't wait to see how things might play out on screen...

Another report: this one from Reuters (which mentions her upcoming appearance in "The Underclassman," which, if it's the film I think it is, is one that's upcoming from Miramax).