Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173601 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2004, 08:56:23 PM »
It's going to shoot for nearly 4 weeks

I find that prospect fascinating - mostly because that's basically the same length of time the two hour '91 pilot took to shoot, yet the WB pilot is only one hour. I was expecting it might take 7 shooting days, which is the norm for most hour dramas, or possibly up to 10. I'm hugely curious to learn why the shoot will take so long. But I'm also willing to wait until the time is right to reveal those details.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2004, 09:13:09 PM »
The role needs a talented, versatile actor, which you won't get by narrowing your search to a lookalike or a mimic. What's the point?  It might be a fair copy, but it will always be a copy.  Barnabas Collins is a broader character than simply Jonathan Frid's contribution, and there's no reason to assume that Alec Newman can't make the role his own.

Earlier today I was looking over some of the posts on the Whedonesque.com Web site, where all things Joss Whedon related (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, etc.) are discussed, and it's really interesting how different groups of people can react to the same news completely differently. For example, many Angel fans are absolutely convinced that Alec Newman has been cast as Barnabas because of his small guest role on that series' February 25th episode. And frankly they're pissed. They see it as yet another indication that the WB DS has always been intended to "replace" Angel ( :-  ) and it's made many of them even more determined to never sample DS, even though many of them readily admit to being fans of Newman from his work in Sci-Fi's Dune and Children Of Dune miniseries. 

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2004, 09:16:10 PM »
Just out of curiosity, did the Reuters story carry anything about storylines for Julia and Liz?  (One of my peeves about the 1991 effort was that Liz had NO storylines AT ALL.)

Not a peep about Julia or Liz. Sorry.   :(

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2004, 09:23:40 PM »
I find that prospect fascinating - mostly because that's basically the same length of time the two hour '91 pilot took to shoot, yet the WB pilot is only one hour. I was expecting it might take 7 shooting days, which is the norm for most hour dramas, or possibly up to 10. I'm hugely curious to learn why the shoot will take so long. But I'm also willing to wait until the time is right to reveal those details.  ;)

MB Just curious as to why you would wait at the right time to reveal details surrounding the length of the pilot's shooting. We all here are not getting any younger. lol I can see you holding back information concerning the location of the filming. Perhaps they are shooting several episodes in addition to the pilot (just wishful thinking).

BTW Thanks for posting that highly revealing article from Variety regarding Kloiber's purchase of WB programs and films. I am not a subscriber to Variety so I do truly appreciate that posting.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2004, 10:51:01 PM »
They're only shooting the pilot, no additional episodes. None have been written yet, anyway.

Techically the shoot is 15 days, but I'm estimating will probably go an extra day or two.

7 days is the norm for a 1hr drama, but that's an established drama with locations and sets that are already built, and a group honed to a routine...This is a brand new from scratch project, with sets that need to be built and dressed and several location changes.

The Angel fans are way off-base with Alec Newman...he had to audition for the role just like the other prospective actors and there was no favoritism in the choice...The exec producers make casting choices and then submit them to WB for approval, not the other way around...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2004, 11:08:57 PM »
Techically the shoot is 15 days, but I'm estimating will probably go an extra day or two.

Still - the '91 pilot took 18 days to shoot with what would probably come close to twice the material. I take the 15 day shooting schedule for the WB DS pilot as a very good sign because, obviously, it's not being hurried along.

The Angel fans are way off-base with Alec Newman...he had to audition for the role just like the other prospective actors and there was no favoritism in the choice...The exec producers make casting choices and then submit them to WB for approval, not the other way around...

We know that - but I seriously doubt that if Newman himself were to post the truth for them, they would even believe him. They're that adamant that there's some sort of conspiracy going on at the WB.  :-   But then, cancellation of ones favorite show can sometimes bring about irrational thinking...

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2004, 12:11:16 AM »
I see according to the barnabasundead site that shooting starts tomorrow -- yeah, baby, yeah!! [hello]

(But no Julia, no Elizabeth?  Eek!)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2004, 12:17:38 AM »
If true, how wild is it that the pilot should begin shooting on the same date (April 2nd) that the original DS aired its last episode on ABC? I love that.

As for Julia, Liz and Joe - they may have been cast and it simply hasn't been announced yet (Alec Newman's casting as Barn has yet to be reported in Variety, for instance) - or they may simply shoot around them until the roles are filled.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2004, 04:28:46 AM »
If true, how wild is it that the pilot should begin shooting on the same date (April 2nd) that the original DS aired its last episode on ABC? I love that.

No such thing as a coincidence ... ? ...

As for Julia, Liz and Joe - they may have been cast and it simply hasn't been announced yet (Alec Newman's casting as Barn has yet to be reported in Variety, for instance) - or they may simply shoot around them until the roles are filled.

I'm still holding out for Jean Simmons, despite the fact that they gave her almost nothing to do in the 1991 series (then HODS gave Joan Bennett nothing to do, either).  Of course the "targeted audience" isn't likely to have any idea who Jean Simmons is ...

But then, we who saw the original series in the 60s - 70s ... probably didn't know who Joan Bennett was, either!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2004, 05:26:45 AM »

They may be making some changes in the family and not just repeating the same story.  That one article mentioned the other day indicated that Roger and David would be sons of the family.  That seems to indicate that they'll be brothers instead of father and son!!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2004, 05:40:49 AM »
Roger and David would be sons of the family.  That seems to indicate that they'll be brothers instead of father and son!!

Referring to someone as the "family's sons" is just an expression that means male members of a family.  :) In the same way, Liz and Carolyn (and possibly Vicki) would be the "family's daughters."

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2004, 06:08:32 AM »

How cool about the date, MB!

Hope you're right about the casting -- that would be a relief!  (JMHO, but I think Jane Seymour would make a great Elizabeth!)  (Hope no one thinks I'm committing blasphemy -- LOL!)   

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2004, 06:27:07 AM »
(JMHO, but I think Jane Seymour would make a great Elizabeth!)  (Hope no one thinks I'm committing blasphemy -- LOL!)

I love Jane Seymour (have since the first moment I laid eyes on her in Somewhere in Time (I completely identified with Christopher Reeves' character  ;))). She could make a great Liz. But is she old enough to play Martin Donovan's older sister (presuming Liz is older)?
(Though...a younger sister holding the purse strings and controlling the family could make for some great sibling conflict.)

I really liked AllMyShadows' idea of Frances Fisher as Julia. But now that Alec Newman has been cast as Barn, at 51, she's probably too old to play opposite him.  :(  But I'm sure they'll come up with someone equally as interesting for the role.

As for Joe, I haven't got a clue who might fit the bill...
[spoiler]Wonder if he'll be killed off as quickly as he was in the '91 series - and then possibly the actor will be recast as a Chris Jennings type, as was the plan with Michael T. Weiss?[/spoiler]

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2004, 07:42:03 AM »
Sorry guys, it ain't Jane Seymour ;)

Blair Brown is Elizabeth Collins Stoddard - info and pics at www.collinwood.net

I think she's a great choice :)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2004, 07:48:54 AM »
An extremely excellent choice, Stuart!  [thumb]

Funny, thanks to MsCriseyde's link from an earlier post in this topic, I checked Reuters just over an hour ago and the news of her casting hadn't been posted. But everyone can check it out here

I must say I'm getting very miffed at Variety. Not only haven't they reported Alec Newman's casting, but all of the people mentioned in this Reuters item were reported in Variety this evening with the exception of Blair Brown. Grrr... (Though Reuters has never mentioned Alec Newman either.  >:()