Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173200 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2004, 11:34:53 PM »
I understand what you mean, dom.....but I really do think having 8 months of conjecture, rumour, suposition and innuendo to ignore is going to be a huge burden when it comes time to sit in front of the tv and watch this thing.

I'm sure I said this before, but for me, the perfect scenario would have been to turn the tv on one night, having no idea what I intended to watch, and lo and behold, there was the first episode of the new DS.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2004, 11:52:43 PM »
Regarding the pilot airing;

So it wouldn't be wrong to guess that Angelique will be showing up from day one? Think of all the speculation that can arise from just knowing which charatcers have been cast.

Right now I'm imagining (for my own entertainment) that they'll start with a flashback to Barn's being cursed with vampirism by Angelique. Then soon after showing Willie releasing him.

Just wondering, how long was it before Barn was released and we were introduced to Angelique, in the 91 series? Was there much character developement of the residents of Collinwood before Barn shows up or did we learn about them as the series went along?

I think I'm getting to the point where I might like to give the 91 series another shot. Especially considering it's length. But what I'm really trying to do is second guess the pilot which I know is pointless - even though it is fun and exciting.

Anyone know of a DS chat room that's been set up to discuss the WB pilot?

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2004, 12:20:10 AM »
I understand what you mean, dom.....but I really do think having 8 months of conjecture, rumour, suposition and innuendo to ignore is going to be a huge burden when it comes time to sit in front of the tv and watch this thing.

Aah, the other side of the coin. It didn't even occur to me! That could be a bummer. Hopefully not (for my sake).  :)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2004, 12:44:04 AM »
Hi Sweetie,

In the script posted on the "Barnabas Undead" site, Ang [spoiler]pops up shortly after Barn leaves his coffin in episode 1.  She has a couple of scenes thereafter where she pops up and makes trouble.[/spoiler] I alas don't recall very much--it really seemed very sophomoric stuff to me.

FWIW, the treatment of the character seemed to owe something to another popular WB series, Charmed.  Forgive me if once again I seem "negative."  Pollyanna ain't my middle name.

xo la Tuftress

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2004, 06:06:26 AM »
Was there much character developement of the residents of Collinwood before Barn shows up or did we learn about them as the series went along?

Both, actually - though some of the character development stuff ended up on the cutting room floor when NBC aired the pilot. Thankfully, MPI released the version where it was included.  [thumb]

Just wondering, how long was it before Barn was released and we were introduced to Angelique, in the 91 series?

Barnabas was released 22 minutes into the unedited pilot (slightly sooner on NBC). It took 23 minutes before we saw his face (in one of the edited scenes Vicki caught a fleeting glimpse of him from her window - though not even long enough to have recognized him later) - but it took 42 minutes into the unedited pilot before reaching the first scene that we saw his face on NBC (which is when he introduced himself at Collinwood).

Angelique wasn't introduced until Episode #4, and even at that it was briefly. She didn't really come into play until Episode #7.

Anyone know of a DS chat room that's been set up to discuss the WB pilot?

The forum has its own chat room setup. You're the Global Moderator. Need I say more?  [wink2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2004, 07:13:25 AM »
I just did my weekly check of the My Entertainment World Web site, and their TV PRODUCTION EVENTS, TV PILOT / TV MINI SERIES chart is reporting that the pilot has a start of production date of March 22nd:

DARK SHADOWS - (TV Pilot - One Hour Drama for WB) - March 22, 2004 - Los Angeles

Has anyone heard anything about this yet?

Guess what - the DS pilot has completely disappeared from this site's TV PRODUCTION EVENTS, TV PILOT / TV MINI SERIES chart. I suppose they finally realized that it didn't start production on the 22nd.  ;)  (Though what would really be fascinating is if it did, and the reason it's no longer listed is that it has already finished production - but what are the odds of THAT?)

The listing is still unchanged on Variety's site (meaning no production date is listed).

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2004, 07:25:52 AM »
If I remember the 1991 series accurately, the first appearances of Angelique were as some weirdly floating screeching ghost.  I guess the special effects were high-tech, but I just thought the whole thing looked ridiculous and really ruined the character of Angelique for me in that series.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2004, 08:33:10 AM »
Here's an excerpt from the latest (March 26) ShadowGram email update--

ShadowGram (SG) announces the following breaking news for Dark Shadows (DS).

--- 2004 DARK SHADOWS PREPARES TO FILM

SG has learned that the highly-anticipated new one-hour DS pilot for the WB Network is expected to begin filming during the coming week at various locations in the Los Angeles area. Shooting has been delayed from the original March 22 start date in order to finalize various production matters.

Six DS scripts also have been ordered for review by the WB. The finished pilot film will be considered for a proposed new weekly series. The WB will make their decision and announce their fall schedule sometime in May.

Among the cast members who have been hired are: ALEC NEWMAN (Barnabas), MARLEY SHELTON (Victoria Winters), IVANA MILICEVIC (Angelique), JESSICA CHASTAIN (Carolyn Stoddard), MARTIN DONOVAN (Roger Collins), MATT CZUCHRY (Willie) and ALEXANDER GOULD (David). Others will be confirmed in the week ahead. (SG Online Update #111 previously announced Marley as the first confirmed cast member.)

Below are selected acting credits for the new DS performers:

* Alec Newman - TV: Frankenstein (Upcoming), Dune, Children of Dune (mini-series), Angel (guest spot). Film: Bright Young Things, The Principles of Lust, Greenwich Mean Time.

* Marley Shelton - TV: Angel Falls, When Friendship Kills, Take Me Home Again. Film:
Plesantville, Nixon, Grand Canyon, Never Been Kissed, The Bachelor.

* Ivana Milicevic - TV: Mind of the Married Man, Charmed, Felicity, Buffy the Vampire
Slayer, Just Shoot Me. Film: Vanilla Sky, Jerry Maguire, Love Stinks, Down with Love, Postmortem.

* Jessica Chastain - TV: E.R. (guest spot). Theater: The Seagull, Trojan Women, Grapes of Wrath, As You Like It, Richard the II, Sir Patient Fancy.

* Martin Donovan - TV: RFK, Traffic, Amy, Masada, and the series Pasadena. Film: Agent Cody Banks, Saved, The Opposite of Sex, Portrait of a Lady.

* Matt Czuchry - Film: Swimming Upstream, Em & Me, Eight Legged Freaks, Mary Jane's Last Dance. TV: Hack, The Practice, Freaks and Geeks.

* Alexander Gould - Film: Finding Nemo (lead), City of Angels, Mexico City.TV: American Dreams, 7th Heaven, Ally McBeal, Malcolm in the Middle, Port Charles.

to read the rest of ShadowGram Update #112

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2004, 08:40:47 AM »
Martin Donovan should make for a very good Roger. Alas, I don't recognize any of the other names - but once we place some photos to them, that may change.

On to the Web photos search!  [wink2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2004, 08:47:09 AM »
Alec Newman (Barnabas) in photo from Children of Dune

Hmmm, interesting.

More recent pics are on www.wireimage.com
Enter Alec Newman above Caption, left side, to search.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2004, 08:54:28 AM »
Alec Newman (Barnabas) in photo from Children of Dune

Hmmm, interesting.

They're obviously going for a much sexier look than Frid or Cross. But given the target audience, I can't say that's a bad thing.

Here's a shot of "David" at the Finding Nemo premiere that I found/scanned from Entertainment Weekly:

Click here for a photo of Jessica Chastain from the TheatreWorks 1998 production of Romeo and Juliet. Here for some group photos from the Chautauqua Conservatory Theatre's 2001 production of The Laramie Project. And click here for an article from Playbill.com about her upcoming appearance in the Off-Broadway play "Where Do We Live".

And you might want to visit the "Official" Alec Newman fan site here. (Ladies (and select men  ;)) may want to be sure they have a drool cup handy.)

What's funny is I was falling behind in my Tru Calling viewing and I just watched the tape of his appearance on that about 5 days ago. Who knew he would soon be Barnabas?  :D  But from that appearance alone I can tell that he should make a good Barn because he can play tortured quite well, and that's a very necessary skill for the actor who plays Barn. (Be sure to check out this site's extensive screen captures from the episode.)

I have yet to watch his appearance on Angel. But hey, I can only catch up on one show at one time...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2004, 09:13:37 AM »
Theiy're obviously going for a much sexier look than Frid or Cross.

I saw him in "Dune," which I watched mainly out of a sense of duty that this was one of the great epic works of sci-fi ... it seems to me he may be English or Scottish?  If so, he should have no trouble giving Barnabas a believably refined, cultured manner of speaking (and hopefully, manner) ... a trait of the new Barnabas I've been greatly concerned about!

Interesting that they went for the blond look.  The photo linked here reminded me immediately of Geraint Wyn Davies, the Canadian actor who starred in "Forever Knight."  Though maybe I have him on my mind because I just bought and have started watching the first season of "Forever Knight" on DVD.   :)

Ben Cross may not have had cover boy looks (thank goodness), but in some of those 1991 scenes he really turned up the heat with his acting.  One of the scenes, I forget with which actress/character, was one of the most sensual vampire scenes I've seen.

;D

Oh, the David photo just popped up.  Certainly looks perfect for the part!  I could never cotton to the David the of the 1991 series, sorry!

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2004, 09:21:14 AM »
Regarding Vlad's post about 91's Angelique:

This is about the only thing I can remember, without prodding, from the 91 series. And I probably just happened upon it while channel surfing one night. This was probably the proverbial last straw for me. Way over the top, but I was probably and unfairly (if not, subconciously) comparing it to the more subdued style of the original.

I was going to mention in an earlier post that I hoped they would avoid these types of (what I consider) perposterous special effects in the WB version.

MB, I know you liked the 91 series. How did you feel about this particular scene? And if I may ask, did they use a lot of up to date special effects in the series?

With the way special effects have advanced I don't think I'd mind them in the WB version. I wonder if a particular special effects team was hired on, if it would be announced? If it would be deemed "newsworthy"? I'd love to see Barn morph from a Bat into human form. I think good (but not over the top) special effects could really enhance the popularity of the show. I don't know the WB's reputation for spending big bucks and pulling out all the stops for it's shows, so I don't know what would be reasonable to expect.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2004, 09:24:15 AM »
So it looks like the two major absences in casting remaining are Julia Hoffman and Elizabeth.

Do you suppose they're trying to get Jean Simmons again?

She has said in the past that she would be interested in doing Dark Shadows again if it ever happened.  I believe she was filming an indie film in Hawaii recently.

Speaking of 1991 cast members I couldn't cotton to, add the Julia Hoffman, Maggie Evans, and Carolyn Stoddard actresses ...

>:D