Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0721  (Read 677 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0721
« on: June 10, 2014, 04:28:08 PM »
Robservations #721

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0721

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 06:51:36 PM »
Oh Barnabas....haven't you learned by now that Angelique is the last person you should go to for help?

How deeply involved were Dirk and Beth? They may have been dating but I don't think to the point where Dirk felt it was necessarily to eliminate the competition and besides, no matter how much he disliked Quentin, he was technically still one of his employers. So Barnabas' reasoning that Dirk would be a logical suspect is really faulty here.

Jenny is convinced that Quentin would have taken her babies away. I know she's mad but here's another flawed logic....[spoiler] it was revealed later on that he was away when she learned he was pregnant. So how can he take away children he has no idea he has? [/spoiler]

Angelique really does have love/hate relationship with Barnabas...she wants him but she also wants to torment him, thus why she decides to use Quentin as her instrument.

I too wonder why Beth didn't tell Judith about Barnabas not wanting to inform the family about Quentin's death especially when she admitted she distrusted Barnabas.

It's really going to get good now....

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:41:10 PM »
Barn is amazed to learn that Jenny is Quentin's wife.

Beth's impatience with Jenny causes her to be cruel. She warns Jenny that Quentin will send her away now that he knows she's at Collinwood. Jenny laughs at this idea: No, he won’t send me away! No! And he won’t be frightened anymore, either. It’s no use talking to you, Beth sighs wearily. You don’t know what a danger he is--you never did. Jenny assures her cheerfully, Oh no, there’s no danger anymore. Quentin is gone--forever. I made him go away. A sudden horrible suspicion begins to form in Beth’s mind. How? she asks. How, Jenny? He would have taken my babies from me! Jenny replies angrily. I had to kill him, Beth! Beth steps back from her, stunned. Jenny smiles madly, pleased with herself and her accomplishment.

At the cottage, Barnabas is still kneeling beside Quentin’s body. We must notify the family, Dirk insists. No--at least, not yet, Barnabas tells him. Why not? Dirk asks. I can’t explain, Barnabas replies. You will just have to trust me--I know what I’m doing. Dirk says, I have to return to Collinwood sometime. Go back now, Barnabas says, but tell them you saw no one. [How this exchange went on camera: Barnabas instructs Dirk, "Tell them that you saw no one here." Dirk replies, "Oh that's fine, but what am I going to tell them?" Barnabas responds, "That you saw no one here."]

Beth finally gets Jenny to tell her that she saw Quentin at the cottage. Jenny warns her against going to "Quentin's little love nest," but Beth leaves, promising to return.

Barnabas is going to regret calling Angelique, but that means we get another fun scene: He finally must resort to the words he probably hoped he would never have to say: You must come to me--I need you! I need you! Why, thank you, Angelique says as she suddenly materializes. You have no idea how gratifying it is after all these years to hear you finally admit that _you_ need _me_! She grins at Barnabas, who is probably already regretting this. Barnabas says irritably, Gloat as much as you want, but I need your help. You sound rather desperate, Angelique observes as she kneels by Quentin’s body. Did you kill poor Quentin? Highly affronted (perhaps in spite of himself), Barnabas retorts bitterly, If I wanted to kill anyone, would I have to use a knife? [One of my favorite lines ever!] Realizing she has offended him, Angelique says, Oh--forgive me. She gets to her feet to ask, What do you want from me? Barnabas says promptly, I want you to restore Quentin to life. I don’t understand, Angelique replies. You hate Quentin. You should be glad to see him dead. Even though I hate Quentin, Barnabas replies, I am not glad that he is dead. Will you do this for me? First I want to settle two things, Angelique says--your motive--and my price. You did know there would be a price, didn’t you? Oh, yes, Barnabas replies bitterly. I know you well enough for that. I’ll take the motive first, Angelique says. Why do you want Quentin alive? He isn’t supposed to be dead, Barnabas tells her--at least not now. When, then? Angelique asks. He’s supposed be be sealed up in his room at Collinwood. If he stays dead now, then the course of history will be changed. Angelique can’t resist the chance to tell him, I warned you that your presence would do this. And even if I do what you want, other things will be changed, the longer you are here. I know, Barnabas replies, but I have to take the risk. I came to Collinwood to get information that will save two lives when I go back into the future. If Quentin stays dead now, I will have failed. I see this is very important to you, Angelique remarks appraisingly. You know it is! Barnabas says heatedly. Now name your price! She demurs: No, not now. I want to be certain that when I lay down my terms you will agree to them. You have rejected me so many times in the past. This time it will be different. This time I intend to do everything in my power to show you how hopeless it is for you to reject me again. What are you going to do? Barnabas asks. She answers, I will see to it that Quentin rises and lives. But that is all. What do you mean? asks Barnabas with deep suspicion. You will see what happens, is all Angelique will tell him.

Beth arrives and shrieks when she sees Quentin lying on the floor, dead. Barn pleads with her not to tell just yet. But because he won't explain why, Beth calmly informs him that Miss Judith (should be Miss Collins) will be very interested in hearing about him.

Sometime later, Quentin is lying in his coffin in the drawing room at Collinwood, not with the traditional four candles but with only one. Barnabas asks Beth if she blabbed to Judith about him. Beth says no, because getting him into trouble wouldn't accomplish anything. She still wants to know why he kept the body at the cottage, but Barn says she wouldn't understand even if he told her. They both leave, even though tradition would have dictated that at least one person should sit with the body overnight.

And there's one very good reason for that: After a long moment, Angelique steps out from the shadows. Her spell-casting music comes up as she looks down at Quentin and tells him, When I give the command, Quentin, you will rise and walk again. You will do whatever I tell you to do. My wish shall be your wish! My goal your goal! Together we shall bring Barnabas Collins to his knees!...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 11:00:49 AM »
Jenny eventually gets around to telling Beth that she killed Quentin, and Beth finally notices that that's what she's being told.... Beth is remarkably cool-headed about it all, and pragmatic.  I believe it only really comes out that Jenny was Quentin's wife, not Edward's, when Dirk tells Barnabas.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  She could have been Q's mistress up until that point? 

Barnabas to Angelique: "I need you."  She appears, in the same dress again I think.  She's just SO casual about Quentin's being on the floor with a knife in him!  We're about to see Ang at her loose-cannon best, as she revives Quentin but not in the expected way... As I think about it, it's clearer how twisted but effective a "lesson" this is going to be for Barnabas, concerning what asking her for help really means, and what happens if she doesn't get the payment she wants.  It's inspired.  But I'm getting ahead of things...

Quentin in coffin in Collinwood Drawing Room....  It must be the next night.  It feels like just a few minutes later on the same night, though, because we saw no day between, it's so quiet, and the cast is the same.  Also, Ang appears yet again in that same dress....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:42:22 PM »
Costumes aren't always the most reliable indicators of time in the Collins universe. Just before 1897, Carolyn goes on a date with Chris. She leaves the house wearing one outfit but returns--presumably the same evening--wearing something totally different. Hmmmm......

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 12:05:03 AM »
!!  Perhaps Carolyn has left stashes of fresh clothing all around Collinsport in case they're ever needed...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 04:51:54 PM »
 [ghost_grin] [ghost_grin] [ghost_grin]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 05:37:50 PM »
I've returned to posting another round of new 1897 screen caps and/or set ups beginning with a first batch for this ep on the "Caption This! - 1897" and the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - 1897" boards. And I'll be continuing with this storyline and hopefully catching up to the WP eps within a few months. [ghost_smiley]