Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0720  (Read 1083 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0720
« on: June 07, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »
Robservations #720

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0720

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 05:19:40 PM »
Jenny is now on the loose. I still can't believe how stupid Beth is in thinking that Jenny couldn't hurt anyone....the woman is out of her mind after all. She already nearly burned Edward to death, went after Judith with a knife. I do have sympathy for Jenny but I won't ignore the fact that she can be VERY dangerous when she wants to be. If Judith and Edward had heard Beth saying Jenny would never have hurt anyone I think they would have fired her on the spot.

Quentin goes to the Old House and accuses Barnabas of wanting him dead. Barnabas denies this, adding Quentin's welfare is very important to him. Quentin sarcastically pretends to be moved. Love the exhanges between these two.

Beth goes to the cottage to look for Jenny and encounters Quentin there. Typical Quentin thinking Beth wants to give in to his 'affections' but she has other fish to fry other than getting hot and heavy with him. He finds out later after she leaves when a shocking surprise comes to the cottage, his wife Jenny.

Jenny eventually returns to Collinwood after leaving Quentin a nasty parting gift....a knife in his chest.

Barnabas finds Dirk kneeling over Quentin's lifeless body....

Good episode.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 12:29:42 AM »
Someone posted that in the original timeline, Dirk didn't get held up by Barnabas and got to the cottage before Quentin did to get Jenny out of the way.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 09:50:21 PM »
Wonder why Beth chose to go to the cottage to look for Jenny when she knows very well that that's where Quentin takes his conquests. Sure enough, he finds her there. She gets away from him, but he predicts that she'll be back.

Quentin goes to the OH to grill Barnabas, but Barnabas warns him about Angelique. Naturally he doesn't listen. As he walks jauntily away from the OH, Jenny follows him.

Dirk goes to the OH to look for Jenny but tells Barn that he's looking for Jamison. Unfortunately Dirk refers to "her" and almost gives the secret away. Having painted himself into a corner, he has no choice but to let Barn help him search the OH.

Meanwhile, in his monstrous vanity Quentin has built a fire at the cottage and has made himself comfortable to wait for Beth. He sits in a chair with his very long legs outstretched. Someone knocks at the door. Quentin gets up to answer it, grinning as he thinks, Good girl, Beth--you haven’t disappointed me. But his eyes widen with shock and surprise when he sees that his visitor is not Beth, but Jenny.

What a surprise it must have been for first-time viewers to learn that Jenny is Quentin's wife! She tries basically to seduce him but he isn't interested, though he has the grace to look uncomfortable. He tells her, It’s getting late. We must go back to Collinwood. Kiss me first, Jenny says. He is obviously not happy about this idea, and Jenny laughs. You mustn’t be frightened of me, she says. He says he’s not, and Jenny demands, Then kiss me! He hesitates, then finally gives her a very brief kiss on the lips. Jenny reaches out to put her hands on his shoulders but he backs away from her. You won't go away any more, Quentin, Jenny tells him. He has the grace to look guilty. You won't lie to me either, Jenny continues, I feel sure of that. Can we go now? Quentin asks. Jenny looks madder than ever as she says, Yes! It is time to go!

Dirk and Barn have come up empty and return to the OH. Dirk decides to make his exit. In the time it takes Dirk to walk out the door, Barnabas has gotten fully dressed in his suit and is able to watch out the window as Dirk walks away.

Beth finds Jenny--alone--outside Collinwood and coaxes her to come inside.

Dirk arrives at the cottage. Anybody here? he calls out. The cottage is dark, so he leaves the door open to let the moonlight in as he moves across the room. Suddenly he stumbles on something--the body of Quentin Collins, with Jenny’s knife sticking out of his chest. Dirk is shocked, but not so shocked as when he realizes how bad it looks for him when Barnabas arrives just behind him. Terrified, Dirk leaps up and tries to run out of the cottage, but Barnabas easily catches him and brings him back inside. No, Wilkins! he says harshly. You are going to stay here and answer a lot of questions!...

Good ending to a Friday episode!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 10:36:29 AM »
Someone posted that in the original timeline, Dirk didn't get held up by Barnabas and got to the cottage before Quentin did to get Jenny out of the way.

That is excellent.  Here I was thinking that Barnabas's presence in 1897 could not possibly have affected this event, but this person's theory nails it perfectly.

Dirk with an ice pack on his head is entertaining fpr some reason.  Is the house where Quentin takes "his women" that same as the groundskeeper's house in the 1960s?  Is it also what's called the "carriage house"?  If it' was the groundskeeper's cottage in 1897, Dirk would live there, but no, I guess we don't find out where he lives. 

Quentin opens the door of whatever that house is, and finds Jenny!  From the conversation, we find out they used to meet here, but she could still be Edward's wife.  I think.  They don't come out and say they're married do they?   "Time to go!" Jenny says, in close up.  And it is for Quentin.  Next thing we know, Jenny's back at Collinwood, telling Beth that Quentin's "gone"... and Beth tells her. yes, he's been gone a very long time.... Jenny says, it doesn't seem so long.... since she stabbed him to death that is!   I love that.  Yes, Quentin's dead.  I certainly had no memory whatsoever of this from my childhood viewing...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:39:58 PM »
The cottage is the house where Quentin takes his women. It's also where Matthew Morgan lives. Since Dirk is the 1897 groundskeeper, he should live there, but I guess Quentin commandeered it first. Maybe Dirk lives in the carriage house, which is where [spoiler]Carolyn and Jeb were supposed to live much later.[/spoiler]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 11:07:51 PM »
I always had the impression that Dirk lived off the estate but honestly, I can't remember why.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 11:59:52 PM »
Thanks.  Now I really don't know what the carriage house is, where it is, who lived in it...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »
MT, so sorry, I didn't mean to mess with your head! Don't worry about the carriage house. It won't even be mentioned for a few hundred episodes!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 07:35:29 PM »
I love the way this storyline uses shadow - and here's a perfect example of it:

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 07:41:25 PM »
Yes MB...... and the dark lighting is cool and a relief after the flat matter-of-fact lighting in the "present"...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 09:56:48 PM »
THANK YOU, MB, for the beautiful frame grab! The shadow is so expressive.

According to DS Wiki, the director was Henry Kaplan.