Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0714  (Read 809 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0714
« on: May 30, 2014, 04:26:37 PM »
Robservations #714

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0714

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:06:23 PM »
The real will is revealed!  Judith eats up her chance to exercise power over everyone-- apparently she has bitterness toward all her siblings that we never knew about till now.  I hope Joan enjoyed it as much as Judith did.  A very active episode.  After her display of power is over and she's left, Quentin suggests murdering Judith.  For once, Edward drops his mask of propriety, and is tempted.  He indirectly encourages Quentin to do it... and perhaps at this point, Quentin actually reveals himself to be a better man than Edward, by saying no.  Edward seemed okay with it, as long as he didn't get his hands dirty, perhaps with visions of having the wealth and house plus being rid of Quentin, who would be dead or in prison or on the lam.

I liked the subtlety in Beth's line, "Who am I to disagree?" ... though I forget the exact context.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:35:09 PM »
Judith's gloating is one of the high points of the whole series. JB is fabulous! She also seems to know how to do needlepoint embroidery properly.

Carl and Edward are absolutely furious about the will, but Quentin is surprisingly pragmatic. He decides to devote himself to a life of dissipation and promptly leaves for Beth's little garret room. He is just about to kiss her when they hear a knock on the door.

It's Rachel, who wants to speak to Beth. Allow me, Quentin tells Beth grandly and rushes to open the door. No, Quentin! Beth says, but she’s too late. Rachel stammers apologetically to Beth, I didn’t realize you had company. With a smile, Quentin assures her, You think you interrupted some sort of tryst, but you’re wrong. I was just inspecting the servants’ quarters, a service I perform from time to time to make sure everyone is happy in their work. Beth turns away, wishing “Mr. Collins” [s.b. “Mr. Quentin”] a cold goodnight. Undeterred, Quentin tells Rachel, You’re looking lovely. If I may say so, you’re one of the most attractive women ever to set foot in the house. Beth’s back is turned, but she lifts her chin. Don’t you agree, Beth? Quentin asks, Stung to jealousy, Beth turns to face them as she says even more coldly, Who am I to disagree? Well said, my dear, Quentin replies. He wishes them both goodnight and leaves.

Rachel tells Beth about seeing the light in the window of the Tower Room, but Beth says it's just a storage room. Beth reminds her, I told you earlier that your curiosity would get you into trouble. Yes, I know, Rachel answers, but something about the house is beginning to disturb me. Forget the Tower Room, Beth warns her. Mr. Collins decided to turn the Tower Room into storage. When you saw me, I was finishing putting some linens into a trunk. She turns down her bed, a clear signal that she wants the conversation to end, but Rachel asks, Weren’t you afraid to go into that room? I was told it was haunted. Who told you that? Beth asks. Quentin, Rachel replies. [Should be Mr. Quentin to you, missy!] Beth warns Rachel, You should never believe anything Quentin tells you. Everything he says is said with only one thing in mind. What is that? asks the innocent Rachel. He likes pretty faces, Beth answers. I don't think I have to tell you any more than that. Rachel gasps and turns away from her, mortified for the second time today.

In the drawing room, Judith celebrates her new status by pouring herself a brandy. She is looking around at everything that now belongs to her when Edward comes grumpily downstairs. He is dressed in his nightgown and robe. Is this to be a feature of the new regime--being roused by a servant in the middle of the night? he asks crossly. Judith replies, I’ve made a decision and want to inform you of it. What was so earth shattering it couldn’t wait until morning? Edward asks. I’ve decided to move into Grandmother’s room, Judith announces--it’s only fitting and proper. And you woke me to tell me about it? Edward asks. I thought you’d want to know about it, Judith replies. How very considerate, he says sarcastically. Do you approve? Judith asks slyly. Edward replies, It’s such a weighty matter, I’ll have to go back upstairs and sleep on it--may I? By all means, Judith replies. Don’t be too upset with me, she mock-pleads. This is all so new to me, I can’t resist making the most of it. You’re doing splendidly, sister, just splendidly! Edward says in disgust and stomps back upstairs.

Entirely disregarding Beth’s advice, Rachel is back in the hallway just outside the Tower Room. Once again she listens at the door. From inside comes a repeated creaking noise. On the inside of the door we see the shadow of a rocking cradle; lying in it is the doll that Beth brought. But who is rocking the cradle?....

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:53:50 PM »
In the drawing room, Judith celebrates her new status by pouring herself a brandy.

One of all-time favorite "comic" scenes of the series.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 12:46:33 AM »
Again, I have to say I really love this episode. Judith reveling that she now has all the cards and her brothers are all dependent on her and all of their reactions to this are absolutely priceless.

Quentin loves to torment poor Carl and enjoys seeing Edward get all riled up is also pretty fun to watch. He knows that he can stay at Collinwood forever and there's nothing that anyone, even Judith can do about it.

He also announces his intentions towards the ladies. He works on Beth at first in her room and when she rejects him he flirts a bit with Rachel to spite Beth. Props to Beth though for handling it like a lady. She's definitely a hell of a lot smarter when it comes to Quentin than Rachel. Grant you, Rachel has only known Quentin for a very short time but she is shocked when Beth suggests what Quentin is really like. Again considering that Beth has known Quentin a bit longer than Rachel so Beth here definitely has the more realistic view of Quentin, but I suppose in Rachel's rather naïve eyes Quentin has been nothing but kind but her and therefore can't have any sinister intentions towards her.

Loved Judith dragging Edward out of bed to tell him she's moving into Edith's old room. She just loves antagolizing him even further.

Great episode.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »
A first batch of screen caps and/or set ups have been posted for this ep on the "Caption This! - 1897" and the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - 1897" boards.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:29:34 PM »
Loved Judith dragging Edward out of bed to tell him she's moving into Edith's old room. She just loves antagolizing him even further.

Indeed, IluvBarnabas! I've said this before, but it can't be said too often that that is such a great scene - and Joan Bennett and Louis Edmonds pull it off beautifully. It's definitely one of my all-time favorite scenes in all of DS. And the expressions on Judith's and Edward's faces in this capture say it all:

In fact, it's one of the screen caps from this ep that have been posted to both the" Caption This! - 1897" and the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - 1897" boards.  [ghost_wink]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 12:10:14 AM »
MB, thanks so much for that priceless frame grab! Two great pros at work!