Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0659  (Read 690 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0659
« on: March 14, 2014, 05:02:23 PM »
Robservations #659

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0659

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »
Julia is wearing the same dark plaid dress she wore when she was Tom's prisoner. Why didn't she burn it? She tries to convince Barnabas that Vicki isn't trying to contact him, but Barnabas insists she is. Julia suggests that a trip to Boson would be good for him too.

Carolyn (in a plain black dress, hair pulled back severely over her ears, and with her ever-present cameo pendant), walks around her mother’s casket at the mausoleum. Barnabas tries to get her to come back to Collinwood, but she insists that her mother isn't dead. Barnabas wants Carolyn to go to Boston with him and the kids, but Carolyn refuses even to leave the mausoleum, much less Collinwood.

Julia (now wearing a dark brown suit with a subtle black houndstooth check) asks the kids (who were playing jacks again--never a good sign) if they're packed and ready to leave. Amy chirpily assures her that they'll be ready on time. But after Julia leaves, David and Amy realize that Quentin is going to be very angry.

Finally back at Collinwood, Carolyn is talking with Barnabas when the kids come and plead with them to pose for a snapshot. Although neither is in the mood, they comply. David has his subjects step outside and pose just inside the front door. Carolyn stands close enough to Barnabas that she can take his arm. Barnabas asks for a copy of the photo. David agrees to make extras, and then Barnabas goes to the Old House to pack. As Carolyn shepherds the children back inside, Julia comes downstairs. David and Amy tell her and Carolyn how excited they are about going to Boston, then go upstairs so David can develop the film. Julia comments on how well the two children get along. Carolyn agrees, but Julia points out that it seems to disturb her. Carolyn confides, I’m worried about David. I’ve seen him change since Amy came to live at Collinwood. I wonder if it’s a change for the better. He’s become remote, as if he were somewhere else. Julia opines, I think David has been happier since Amy came. She tells Carolyn not to worry. Now free of his servitude to Nicholas, Harry comes in to take everyone to the train station.

Evidently nothing is too good for the heir apparent of Collinwood: David has his own darkroom (which isn’t actually very dark!). Amy watches as he develops his negatives and asks how they’ve turned out. All my photos turn out well, he says calmly. What about the one of Carolyn and Barnabas? she asks. David is amazed to see an extra person in the photo. How could there be? Amy asks. It’s very faint--like an outline, David says. They can’t figure out who it is. Maybe Quentin caused it, Amy suggests. He wouldn’t need our help if he could do things like that, David points out. Amy can’t think of another explanation. David decides it’s a “freak” photograph. Amy says, If Quentin did do it, maybe he has more instructions for us. They decide they’d better find out, so Amy picks up the phone and says Quentin’s name. He’s there! she exclaims and listens intently. I understand, she says, I’ll talk to David. Quentin didn’t do it, she reports. He’s just as puzzled as we are. Suddenly she whirls around to see Harry standing there, arms crossed as he’s caught them red-handed in-- well, something they shouldn’t be doing.

Harry grills the kids about who they were talking to on the phone. The kids prevaricate, but then they finally make Harry not to tell anyone--and then they actually tell him the truth, but quite naturally Harry doesn’t believe them. David says, We use the phone to talk to a spirit named Quentin. His grave is at Eagle Hill. We’re trying to find out what’s bothering him. Not believing a word of it, Harry gets David’s suitcase and delivers a parting suggestion: Maybe you should take the phone with you--in case your spirit friend wants to call long distance. After Harry leaves, David locks the door. We’ve got to be much more careful, he warns Amy. It’s a good thing he didn’t believe us, Amy says, then asks, What about the picture? David replies calmly, Barnabas wanted a copy--why don’t we just give him one. They exchange grins.

Now in their coats--Amy’s is blue, David’s is a brown duffel coat, the kids come down and give Carolyn the photo. She puts it on the table without looking at it and sends them to the kitchen for lunch (in their coats?). Then she takes a good look at the photo--and shows it to Barnabas in amazement. There are the two of them (now with about a foot of space between them)--and in the background is the image of a hanging woman. Oh, my god! Barnabas gasps as he turns away in shock. What is that? Carolyn asks. How did it get there? Barnabas’s next thought is, Where’s Julia? Carolyn points him to the drawing room. Barnabas hurries in, with Carolyn close behind, and shows Julia the photo. It’s clear to me, he declares. It’s Vicki--there’s no longer any question. I’m sure Vicki’s in trouble and needs my help. Carolyn, he says decisively, my plans have changed. I’m staying here at Collinwood.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 06:39:19 PM »
I wonder if Barnabas has seen modern Boston yet.  As for Mrs. Stoddard, it should be easy for anyone to tell if she's alive-- she won't deteriorate, the process of which gets very ... dramatic, over a few days.  Morticians need to prepare bodies so that this doesn't happen, and this itself would have killed Liz.  Perhaps I'm expected to choose not to think of such things.  Carolyn is convinced that her mother is alive... and yet, she "buried" her.  Vicki mark 3 makes her first apperarance in David's photo, uncredited.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:29:53 PM »
So Harry is still around. I guess David developed an interest in photography when he was not seen much onscreen in the last months.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 01:18:17 AM »
Vicky is having better luck communicating with the people at Collinwood from a different period in time than Barnabas is having contacting Roger in Europe. I didn't realize the system of communication was so bad in the late 1960s. Did he fall off the planet or what? Did he not leave a number where he could be reached in case of emergency? Maybe he only shared it with Elizabeth and she took it with her to the grave (or mausoleum as it were)? The possibilities are endless.