Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0639  (Read 1550 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0639
« on: February 14, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »
Robservations #639

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0639

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »
Beginning today there will be nearly daily new posts of captures/set ups to the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost" board. The first batch for today have just been posted.  [snow_smiley]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 10:22:47 PM »
MAGIC EPISODE!!! This episode includes some of the most frightening moments of the series--all the more so for being so understated. Sorry this is soooo long, but there are just so many thrilling moments!

Elizabeth is still frozen in shock when a little girl suddenly speaks to her. It's Amy, and she says she's looking for her brother. The animal ran away when it saw her. (So we have another scenario in which a little girl has a very troubled big brother.) Amy is apparently afraid of nothing on this earth, neither the dark nor the woods nor being out alone. Elizabeth is still shaken by the memory of what she just saw. Do you live around here? Amy asks. Yes, Elizabeth replies, I live at Collinwood. The big house by the water? Amy asks. Yes, Elizabeth replies. Oh, it’s very pretty, Amy says admiringly. I wish I lived there! You must come with me before the creature returns, Elizabeth says as she takes Amy’s hand. They walk away together.

At Collinwood, Elizabeth nearly collapses as she tells Julia about the animal that walked like a man. Amy has been staring around the foyer, marveling at the high-ceilinged Great Staircase and the portraits. Telling Amy to stay with Elizabeth, Julia goes upstairs to get a sedative. [While Amy and Elizabeth chat in the foyer, someone runs across the foreground.] Are you Mrs. Stoddard? Amy asks. Elizabeth says yes and thanks her for scaring off the creature. Amy says shyly, That's okay. I have to be going. I'm looking for my brother. It's too late to be out alone, Elizabeth points out. Amy replies, It's only too late for those afraid of the dark--and I’m not. I could see that in the woods, Elizabeth says dryly. Amy pleads with Julia not to send her back to Windcliff. Elizabeth says why not let her stay at Collinwood. Amy’s happiness is heartbreaking to see. As if by magic David (wearing a green terrycloth bathrobe) materializes. His aunt tells him, David, This is Amy Jennings. She is going to be staying with us tonight. The children greet each other politely and head for the kitchen.

Up in David's room, the children talk about the Great House. David says no one has ever counted all the room, although very early on, Elizabeth told Vicki there were forty of them. There's a whole wing, the West Wing, closed off all the time, David reveals. I don't want to tell you why--it’ll keep you awake, he adds coyly, hoping to scare her. It's haunted! Amy guesses immediately--and delightedly. She pleads with David to show her the WW, and he's glad to oblige.

These two kids are excellent actors and utterly natural with one another! As far as I can remember, Denise Nickerson turned in a flawless performance almost every time. Poor Amy is pathetically lonely. How sad that Tom, the cheerful brother who raised her, met such a terrible end. The moody Chris, whom she knows less well but still loves, seems not to want her. She would probably have told David that she loved being in shipwrecks just to keep him with her.

The West Wing is a seemingly endless warren of unlit, deserted rooms festooned with cobwebs and crammed with unused old furniture. David shows Amy a portrait of Thaddeus Collins, who was alive during the Civil War. They find a storage room, which has has even more cobwebs. It also has a narrow brass bed [spoiler](later featured in PT 1840)[/spoiler], as well as a ship model [spoiler](much later the notorious _Java Queen_ of 1970)[/spoiler]. David says casually, Another room, down the corridor, has a secret passageway. You’re so lucky to live here! Amy says. She sees a nineteenth-century telephone--the classic candlestick model--on the floor and picks it up. Of course the phone is disconnected--the wire is broken off just a few inches from the base.

The kids decide to play a game with the phone. Amy picks up the receiver and says brightly, My name is Amy Jennings. What's yours?... That's a nice name. Where do you live?... Somewhere near this room?... If David and I came looking for you, could we see you?... Could you hold on for just a minute? Amy turns to David, her eyes wide with fear and delight. The West Wing IS haunted! she says excitedly. What are you talking about? David asks skeptically. I think the man I'm talking to is a ghost, she says. That's enough pretending, David says, a little alarmed in spite of himself. There really IS someone on the phone, Amy insists. You’re making it up, David argues. The ghost's name is Quentin Collins, Amy tells him (the first mention of his name). I've never heard of anyone by that name, David says. Why don’t you listen on the phone, Amy suggests as she passes the receiver to David. You'll find out. David takes the earpiece and says, Hello? When no one replies, he turns to Amy and starts, Isn't that strange. I think your ghost has lost his-- Suddenly he recoils in surprise. I can hear someone breathing! he exclaims. He moves the receiver away from his ear as we hear the quiet click of someone hanging up.

The kids return to Amy's room and look at pictures of Quentin as a kid, but they don't share them with us. Elizabeth comes to check on her little houseguest, and the kids ask her about Quentin. Elizabeth replies, He was my great-uncle. [This genealogy is in fact accurate, as we will find out]. He left Collinwood while still young, went to France and died in Paris. Why do you ask? David explains, I saw his name in a family history and got curious. Already conspirators, David and Amy wish each other a knowing goodnight.

Much later, Amy gets out of bed and picks up the receiver of the DISCONNECTED phone, as if she actually had heard it ring. Why didn't you speak to David? she asks. He was very disappointed... What? All right. She listens intently. Where do you want me to come? Will you be there?... She smiles and says, All right--I'll come right now.... Yes. Goodbye, Quentin. She hangs up and leaves the room, first checking to make sure the hallway is deserted. We get a look through the window at the end of the hall as actual rain comes down for only the second--and last--time in the show as Amy returns to the West Wing. She looks around, her brown eyes huge in her face as she returns to the storage room she and David explored earlier. Quentin? she calls out confidently. I'm here, Quentin. Aren't you going to come out and see me? She looks around hopefully....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 05:47:20 AM »
Strange moment... (Joan Bennett gives less convincing scream than last ep) Liz holds face in hands, why isn't he killing me yet she must be thinking... sees werewolf isn't there, and suddenly Amy is standing right there.  Chris dimly knew who she was, I guess.   I like the Liz-Amy friendship we see from this point on.   I like how Liz leads Amy by the hand, as if protecting her from the werewolf, when a moment ago, Liz was screaming in helpless terror, and Amy was actually doing the protecting (though she didn't realize it).

What I never liked about the acting of kid actors, back when I was a kid, was that excessive, naive open-faced-ness, the utter total earnestness, and the sing-song-iness of their delivery, though I wouldn't have phrased it that way back then.   Children don't speak like that.   No one I knew did.  It's just how adults see kids.   I don't really have this complasint about DH and ND-- they do this less than most, and they don't let it stop them from acting very well.   I should be emphasizing how good their acting was, but this old complaint of mine about kids' acting in general occurred to me, so I'm posting it before I forget.

It's a nice, spontaneous conversation David and Amy have in her room, with the cameras following them as they move around the room.  It's one of the most pivotal DS conversations ever.  I liked David's line about Collinwood: "I guess it's the same as every other place,"  !!?!?   In the West Wing....  David points out old Thaddeus Collins who was alive during the Civil War, whom David will get to [spoiler] be possessed by over a year later...[/spoiler]   No indication of whether he actually served in the war.   Note he said "was alive during the Civil War", and not "died during the Civil War"...

I like how Quentin's only tenuous link to the outside world is this telephone in somebody else's room [spoiler](his own was blocked off)[/spoiler], and as long as it stayed untouched, he was totally cut off.   Amy was great, being utterly unphased by hearing Quentin's voice, though a sign of slight surprise might have been nice.   Anyway, good for her!

QUENTIN!

Good for David and Amy, going instantly into paranormal researcher mode, getting out family histories, and studying the phone in a better light.   Amy goes back to the West Wing a second time on her own... the end.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »
MT, [spoiler]does "old Thaddeus Collins" = Tad[/spoiler]? As many times as I watched the show, I have to confess that I never, ever realized this before. Thaddeus would be exactly the right age, too. Thanks for making the connection!!!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 06:24:53 PM »
We don't really know that the Tad we see in 1840 and the Thaddeus in the portrait are the same person.  Here's one discussion about it, starting with this post, that might be of interest:

Thaddeus (Tad) Collins

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 08:17:26 PM »
Thanks, Midnite--I guess this is another one of those unresolved issues. Fun to speculate, though.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 05:38:32 AM »
[spoiler]The traditional nickname for Thaddeus is definitely Tad.   The age is right.   That's all I need.  For it not to be the Tad we know, there would have had to have been two Thaddeus Collinses running around Collinwood...[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 04:11:17 PM »
there would have had to have been two Thaddeus Collinses running around Collinwood...

I'm thinking that the two weren't necessarily alive at the same time since all we know about Thaddeus was that he lived during the Civil War, and in this timeline, Tad [spoiler]died in 1840.[/spoiler]

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »
Logic would lead you to believe that they are one and the same but logic in the DS universe is in extremely short supply.

Nicknames can be odd anyway.  I went to college with a girl whose name was Carolyn but everyone knew her as Tracy.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 10:16:18 PM »
[spoiler]Seeing Thaddeus Collins pop up, as a Civil War era man, is just too good not to connect it to Tad.   The fact that Tad doesn't survive in one version of history is a mere detail, in a show full of rewritings of history and paradoxes.   We had a reference to Tad dropped in our laps before Quentin even appears, be glad for it, don't try to eason it away![/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 06:19:32 PM »
MT, I do agree with you now that I've thought it over. The writers are consistently sparing in their use of names.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 04:04:18 AM »
Why has Amy come to Collinwood? Why not her home or town where she would find Chris. Julia gets out the sedatives again. Amy is not afraid of the dark and likes lightening. I knew I liked her.  They talk to the ghost in the most matter of fact way.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 06:18:39 AM »
Amy has no family or guardian left, except for Chris.  Chris won't take her in.  So Liz, after bonding with her, takes her in.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 10:51:01 AM »
One of the reasons that I like this classic episode so much is that it makes the house (i.e. Collinwood) itself a character in the drama in a way it hadn't been since the early days of the series. It's like the writers suddenly remembered that they had this great mysterious setting that they'd somehow allowed to devolve into a mere residence for people to hold conversations in.

First-rate start to the next storyline (though I wonder why they didn't have the phone ring when Amy was sleeping).