Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0633_0634  (Read 872 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0633_0634
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »
Robservations #633_634

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0633_0634

And remember:
Thursday, February 6: No Episode, originally Thursday, November 28, 1968 was Thanksgiving

[hall2_smiley]    [hall2_smiley]    [hall2_smiley]    [hall2_smiley]    [hall2_smiley]    [hall2_smiley]    [hall2_smiley]    [hall2_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:29:08 AM »
Did Nick take a mouthful of some evil brew and spit it into Maggie's mouth, or just kiss her?   I thought this was where the famous blooper was, of a stagehand running between HAA and the camera, but if so I missed it.    Eve!   Poor motherless Eve, Julia says...   Nick brings in Maggie in her nightie as the life force.  Now Nick had a knife raised and ready to stab Maggie in the last cliffhanger, didn't he?  Was that a fake-out that was restaged without that, for the redo?   
Nick makes the mistake of thinking he needs absolutely no one at his most vulnerable moment, and attacks Adam to get at Barnabas, after Barnabas stops the experiment.  He could have assumed Nick would ressurect her as he did Carolyn, but he wouldn't have.   Nick needs her to die.  But in that ceremony I thought.

Why does Julia show Maggie the music box?!?   Nicolas burns on Widows' hill, pleading in exactly the way he found so tiresome when Angelique would do it with him.  I imagine the Devil doesn't enjoy it any more.   Then weird smile from Barnabas, that looks totally false and plastered-on.   Adam enters Collinwood for the promised bloodbath, end.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »
Julia and Barn prepare to conduct the experiment. Nicholas arrives, and he and Barnabas spar over the fate of Tom Jennings until Julia reminds them they have a job to do. Poor Maggie arrives, apparently in a daze and wearing the same voluminous bright yellow peignoir that Vicki wore not so long ago. (Are they such BFFs that they've started swapping clothes?) Barnabas protests, even though he was prepared to use Maggie the first time they ran the experiment. Adam threatens him, and Nicholas gives both him and Barnabas the symptoms of heart attacks. Nicholas is so desperate that he’s now resorting to the same stunts for which he once derided Angelique.

The experiment starts,  but very quickly Maggie is overwhelmed with pain. In her agony, she screams out Joe's name. Barnabas decides he's had enough and switches off the equipment, then starts destroying it. Nicholas tries to stop him, but--surprise!--his powers are gone. Eve turns into a skeleton with bright red hair. Nicholas rushes out to plead with his Master for one more chance. Barnabas sets off in pursuit. Julia eventually revives Maggie, who doesn't remember a thing, not even her own name. Julia is so desperate that she plays Josette's music box for her, but no dice.

Meanwhile, Adam sets off to get revenge on Barnabas, whom he considers the source of all his misery.

Atop Widows Hill, that site where all desperation plays out in the DS universe, Nicholas pleads for one more chance. Give me time--that’s all I need. Just give me another week! Seven days! It’s so small to you! Give me seven days, and I’ll give you everything you want! Apparently the reference to seven days is the last straw for the Master--after all, his archrival needed only six days to complete his great work. From out of nowhere, flames spring up around Nicholas. Barnabas watches with unholy glee, unaware that Adam is sneaking into Collinwood to exact a terrible revenge.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 06:34:50 AM »
Nicholas power disappears and eve is a skeleton. All very well deserved. Julia must have looped the loop as she tries to get Maggie to remember Josette and the Music box. How about Joe Pop, the diner. something that she isn't supposed to remember.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:20:56 AM »
Nicholas power disappears and eve is a skeleton.

I read that as "Nicholas power-disappears", like "power-walking", thinking you meant his disappearance on Widows Hill, and I LOLed.  Yes, he "power-disappeared"... he does everything big...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 04:58:25 AM »
I like your interpretation, Magnus.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 03:10:34 AM »
That final scene was very oddly structured, with a handful of characters in a single room, all attending to their own bit of business at the same time: Nickolas fearing he will be punished for his failure to bring Eve to life; Barnabas chasing after Nickolas in an effort to finally rid themselves of him forever; Adam pouting in the corner because he knows he's going to be alone for the rest of his life; and Julia attending to Maggie's health and temporary amnesia. It seems very chaotic, yet there is an undeniable dynamism and energy to the scene that makes the whole thing work.