Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0631  (Read 826 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0631
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:00:10 PM »
Robservations #631

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0631

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:28:17 PM »
The teaser is a much more elaborate recap of the end of the last episode. Barnabas (what's he still doing at Collinwood?) hears Vicki's screams and rushes to her room just in time to see Tom take her in his arms, ready to strike. Barnabas calls out Tom's name. Tom drops Vicki and escapes the same way he came in. Barnabas checks Vicki's throat and relieved to find she is unharmed. When Vicki comes to, she exclaims, I know who it was! It was Tom Jennings--but he’s dead! Barnabas says Tom isn’t dead. How can someone be alive and dead? Vicki exclaims. With what ambivalent feelings we can only guess, Barnabas explains to the horrified Vicki, A few people are among the living dead. Unable to live by day, in the dark of night they cannot die. They drink the blood of the living--and are called vampires. Vicki makes the connection between her visit to Nicholas and tonight’s attack because she remembers that Tom’s last job was at Nicholas’s house. That leads her to concern for Maggie, but Barnabas assures her that Maggie will be safe.

Harry reports to Nicholas that he followed the sheriff's men and saw where they buried Eve's body. When they hear a knock on the door, Nicholas orders Harry to go downstairs, get a lantern and a shovel, and wait.

The visitor is Barnabas, who angrily confronts Nicholas. Barnabas warns him, If you attempt to harm Vicki again, I’ll stop the experiment--even though I know it might cost me my own life. Nicholas again grants Barnabas the backhanded compliment of saying, If I were an ordinary man, you would make a good enemy. I would even be afraid of you, if I were an ordinary man: But I am not an ordinary man, as you know, he finishes. Barnabas warns Nicholas again to stay away from Vicki, and from Maggie Evans too. Nicholas practically snarls good-night.

Nicholas also gets a visit from Chris Jennings, and actually does a double take at the sight of him. Chris explains, I’m investigating Tom’s death. I want to speak with you because you were Tom’s last employer. Nicholas professes ignorance, but Chris is momentarily startled when he sees Tom looking in through the window. Nicholas assures him he must be imagining things (out of grief, one supposes) and tells Chris, I went to the hospital, but I wasn’t allowed to see Tom before he died. Chris leaves not much wiser than he came.

Nicholas calls Harry back upstairs and orders him to go to the cemetery and dig up Eve’s body. Harry protests, but Nicholas tells him, It’s the last thing I’ll ever ask you to do. After it’s done, you’ll never see me again. They go to the cemetery, where Nicholas supervises Harry's excavation. Harry turns away in revulsion when Nicholas IDs Eve. Refusing to answer any of Harry's questions, Nicholas orders him to help carry the coffin back to the House by the Sea.

Unaware that Tom is following him, Barnabas watches as Nicholas and Harry leave the house, then enters it himself, determined to wait until Tom returns. Tom suddenly grabs him from behind, but Barn breaks free and holds two candlesticks together to form a cross. Despite Tom's pleas and threats, Barnabas stands firm. Tom is too dazed by the sight of the cross to escape the daylight that suddenly comes in through the window. In a brief moment in chromakey, he screams, Let me live! Let me live! Barnabas watches in pity and horror, then uncrosses the candlesticks as Tom disappears forever.... (This was a great scene!)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 08:53:29 PM »
So, Tom's afraid of Barnabas from before, the staking?   Tom flees Vicki's room when he really doesn't have to.    Good scene with Barnabas and Vicki, where he is suddenly spilling information about vampires, when he'd been tight-lipped about anything and everything strange, especially vampires, until now, in case any of it caused questions to be asked about him.   Another sign of his having taken stock of himself and situation at Wyndcliffe... He's ready to take risks now.   Barnabas stands up to Nick over her. 

Hairy Johnson really should skip town immediately, after hearing that this is the very last thing Nicholas will coerce him into doing, and that Nick will be gone forever the next day.   Just go and come back after Blair's out of the way...  I guess, though, that Nick didn't let Harry out of his sight long enough for him to escape.

Barnabas exposes Tom to dawn.   Yes, a good scene.   It did look difficult for Barnabas, with a lot of feelings going on behind that face in close up at the end.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »
Yes, MT! The Barnabas who is willing to stop the experiment even at the cost of his own life has come a long way from the ruthless and remorseless creature that Willie was unfortunate enough to discover.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 06:18:35 AM »
It's all about Tom. Barnabas forces him off Vickie, Chris goes to see Nick about him, and Vickie learns Tom is A vampire, while ultimately he is staked by Barnabas.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 11:23:27 PM »
Poor Alexandra. The minute she leaves, suddenly her character is being let in on all the secrets at Collinwood that she's been left in the dark about all these years. Hardly seems fair.

And when did Barnabas suddenly become the protector and defender of Maggie, a woman he's more than once been willing to do away with if it meant his own well-being and safety (even in his post-vampire stage when Willie was holding her prisoner in the mausoleum)?