Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0627  (Read 936 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0627
« on: January 29, 2014, 04:06:17 PM »
Robservations #627

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0627

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:51:23 AM »
I may still be behind posting captures/set ups on the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - Vicki/Jeff-Cassandra/The Dream Curse-Adam/Eve/Nicholas" board, but today I posted some new captures/set ups on the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost" board to coincide with the appropriate scenes from this ep.  [snow_smiley]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »
FAREWELL, ALEXANDRA MOLTKE!

At last, Vicki has met Eve. Jeff denies killing her, and of course Vicki believes him. Of course he tries to send her away first, and of course she is determined to see it through with him and persuades him to call the police. Jeff picks up the phone to call the police on what was to have been their wedding night.

Meanwhile, Adam wanders disconsolately through the woods. Angelique materializes and tells him that the police consider Jeff Clark the prime suspect and that Nicholas has been using him (A.) all along. She tells Adam to go back to the House by the Sea and act grief-stricken when he supposedly learns that Eve is dead. I'll think about it, Adam replies. Don't take too long, Angelique warns him.

Meanwhile, Joe (still in the hospital) has a visitor. Joe takes one horrified look at him and screams, You’re dead! You’re dead! (Joe has a particular reason for being horrified.) However, the newcomer (who seems oblivious to his wet hair and suede-jacketed shoulders) chides Joe. Don’t you recognize me? I’m Chris Jennings, Tom’s twin brother (also Joe’s own cousin too, though no one seems to remember this). I’m-- hard to reach, so I didn’t get word of Tom’s death till recently, he explains. I want to investigate how my brother died. The report of those bite marks seems suspicious to me. Joe asks, Have you seen your sister, Molly? (whose name will soon change to Amy). She’s at Windcliff--she took Tom’s death very hard. Chris admits he hasn’t seen Molly yet.

Julia arrives and has the same reaction as Joe when she sees Chris. When Chris learns that she is a doctor, he has some questions for her. Julia accepts his offer of a lift back to Collinwood but wants to speak to Joe alone first. Joe gives Julia (and us) a little deep background on Chris: We were in high school together, then Chris went to college to study architecture. But shortly after he started college he started behaving strangely, missing classes and going on trips through the woods that kept getting longer and longer. Eventually he dropped out of college altogether. When his parents died a couple of years back, he didn’t even show up for the funeral. Later on he wrote to me, saying that he didn’t find out about it till after it was all over. No one knows the reason for this strange behavior. Joe also tells Julia about Chris’s investigation of Tom’s death, so at least she can prepare herself to answer Chris’s questions. Unknown to either of them, Chris is watching again through the window.

At Collinwood, Chris asks Julia if she can help him learn what happened to Tom--especially those bite marks. Julia insists she has no idea what caused them, then turns the conversation back to Chris. Why is he here now, when Tom has been dead for two months? Chris answers (again), I’m hard to reach. I’m constantly on the move, never staying long in one place. Under Julia’s prodding, he admits that he’s also come to see his sister Molly (again). Julia says, She’s at Windcliff and doing well, but I think you should take responsibility for her now. Chris answers somewhat desperately, My lifestyle is all wrong for her--I’m always traveling. Are you a salesman? Julia asks. He replies, Let’s just say I make a living the best way I can. But he promises to go see his sister tomorrow.

A moment after Chris leaves, Vicki bursts in, frantic to find Roger. He must bail Jeff out, since he’s in jail now under suspicion of murder. Julia is stunned to hear who the victim was, but reassures Vicki that Roger will be glad to help. Vicki hurries off to find Roger. Julia pauses on the stairs for a moment, then hurries out again. [And this was the last appearance of Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters.]

Evidently Adam has decided (off screen) to help Angelique, because she's back in her underground lair. Lighting a candle, she calls upon her master, the Prince of Darkness, to appear to her. But Angelique’s master seems to be even more powerful than she counted on, because as the episode ends it looks as though she is about to be engulfed by the very flames she has summoned....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 08:19:13 PM »
I need to catch up.  I didn't know we were supposed to be farther along than this.

Yellow-purple Collinwood intro-- the first of these recolorings?   As kids I remember we'd make jokes about Easter descending upon Collinwood, when they did this.

Farewell, real Vicki.   It's very strange, watching three Victorias being so earnest about standing by Jeffpete no matter what, when the actresses couldn't wait to move on (or get fired, how would I know?).   "I'll stand by you NO MATTER WHAT my beloved Je--"  then they bring in next-Vicki to complete the line, or so it almost seems to me sometimes.

I need to try out MB's division of DS into halves thing starting here.  This begins the storyline crossover period.   Those first moments always feel strange, don't they?   (I kept scanning back to watch again Laura coming into the diner for the first time without warning....)   Welcome Chris Jennings!   They also start working in some no-doubt long-thought-over retoolings, such as opening up the story into the wider everyday world of Collinsport again, by retroactively working in a version of Julia who has somehow managed to be dealing with things at Wyndcliffe professionally all this time (did she say she was responsible for MollyAmy?), even though she hasn't even had time to sleep, dealing with reanimating Adam, and protecting Barnabas.   I like it, it makes things more possible and real.  Or something.   

I like how Jeff starts to reach for his neck when Vicki mentions the police, remembering his having been hanged as Peter.  It's a small, subtle gesture.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

FreshMayonnaise

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 05:04:27 AM »
How odd that Alexandra Moltke's last episode was #627, considering that the first episode of the series aired on 6/27.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 06:38:32 PM »
Welcome, FreshMayonnaise! Great screen name and an interesting coincidence!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
Yes, welcome, F Mayo!   We'd be very glad for any comments on these episodes.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 05:58:53 AM »
It appears to be Tom peeping through the window, but turns out to be his brother Chris who looks just like him and they have a sister Molly who is at Windcliff.  I really love the Julia scream when she sees the look alike bro.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 12:48:11 AM »
Exit Alexandra - stage left [ghost_sad]

Julia's reaction to seeing Chris Jennings has always been one of my favorite laugh-out-loud moments of the series. I kind of wish they'd had the nerve to go all the way with it and have Julia crash through the hospital window in an effort to get away a la the Cowardly Lion in "The Wizard of Oz." That would have been quite something to see!