Author Topic: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 97708 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #510 on: September 05, 2014, 01:51:49 AM »
I wonder if this is the only version of DS where the vampire's victim's body WASN'T "buried in the woods."

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 06, 2014, 03:02:26 AM »
Before today's quote the script explains:

Patterson pulls out an evidence bag, a student I.D. inside.

And then rather than today's quote -

Page 41 - Sheriff Patterson: 'We found a student I.D. in her pocket. Her name's Kelly Greer... She was a junior over at Miskatonic College.'

- what Sheriff Patterson actually says in the pilot is "What a mess. Found a student I.D. in her pocket. Her name’s Kelly Vance. She was a junior at Hallowell University. It’s a crying shame."

Note the surname change for Kelly. Who knows why? But apparently Kelly is the Todd Blake/Jennings of the pilot!  [ghost_wink]  [ghost_grin]  And note the change of college. But then we'd addressed that back in Kelly's first scene in Willie's room.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 07, 2014, 04:44:06 AM »
Before today's quote the script explains -

The Medical Examiner finishes and pulls back. As he goes, Hoffman kneels next to the body.

- and here's a still depicting Julia kneeling next to Kelly's body:

And again, given today's graphic, it's probably no surprise that today's quote -

Page 41 - Sheriff Patterson (CONT'D): 'Her roommate reported her missing a few days ago. Apparently she said she had a "study date" and never came back.'

- was dropped in the pilot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 08, 2014, 04:42:05 AM »
The script explains -

Dr. Hoffman gingerly pulls back Kelly's hair, revealing two LIVID BITE MARKS on her neck.

- before Julia is scripted to deliver today's quote:

Page 41 - Hoffman: 'Two puncture marks. Just like Carolyn Stoddard's wounds.'

However, in the pilot she simply says "Just like Carolyn Stoddard."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 09, 2014, 03:56:48 PM »
I didn't get the chance to wrap up this scene yesterday because yesterday's quote -

Page 41 - Sheriff Patterson: 'It was the first thing I noticed. (great concern) Doctor, what the hell is going on?'

- was the last for the scene, though in the pilot the sheriff's remark that the marks on Kelly's neck were what he noticed first is dropped. He simply asks Julia with great concern (as indicated in the scripted quote) "Doc, what the hell is going on?" And the scene closes with:

OFF Hoffman's growing concern...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 09, 2014, 06:01:50 PM »
Great still (or is it a capture?).  I didn't know there was ANY photographic record of Hu's performance in the role.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 09, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »
That is a still that was published as part of a great article on the pilot that was written by Darren Gross and published in the January 2005 issue (#239) of Fangoria. Stills shared in replies #26(Vicki, Hogan, and the Demon) and #322(Alec Newman having makeup applied and the finished product) were also included in that article. And more stills from the article will be shared in future replies in this topic...

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 09, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
This scene (and the series as a whole) had a genuinely creepy, eerie tone that reminds me very much of Twin Peaks at its best.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 09, 2014, 11:38:03 PM »
Before we close the door on this scene I'd like to share one more still - one of Alexis Thorpe showing off Kelly's "dead" makeup:

As some have no doubt already surmised, Kelly was intended to be the Carolyn/Daphne of the pilot. However, unlike Carolyn in hoDS and Daphne in the '91 DS, Kelly may have had an extended presence on the show had there been an '04 DS. And considering that in her vampire state she would have had ties to both Barnabas and Willie (and to Prof. Stokes, had he been introduced into the series rather than simply talked about), the possibilities of what might have been done with her character might have proved quite complex and fascinating, something that Daphne in the '91 DS wasn't really allowed to become because she was dispatched with so early. And the fact that Sheriff Patterson would have been all too aware that Kelly had been found dead could have made the situation all the more complex/fascinating once evidence of her continued presence on the scene surfaced, as it no doubt eventually would have. But alas...

One thing that I do question in the pilot script, though, is if it was intended for Kelly to return as a vampire, why was it established in the script that at least two weeks had passed before her dead body surfaced? Wouldn't she have transformed before that time? Or might it have been that because her body was in the water for all that time, the transformation was somehow forestalled? I seem to remember that in one of Hammer's Dracula movies he was destroyed or at least somehow incapacitate because he'd fallen into running water. I don't really remember how the ins and outs of that legend worked, but I do wonder if the '04 WB was going to somehow use and/or rework the running water angle to explain why it took Kelly so long to transform? But I suppose we'll never know...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 10, 2014, 02:26:46 AM »
As you'll recall from back in May/June, an earlier scripted scene between Vicki, Liz, Roger and Sophia was combined with the current scripted scene between Vicki and Liz to make one scene in the pilot.

The first parts of the previous scene were combined with the latter parts of this current scene to give a bit more background on David and to reveal some things about David's mother. However, given that most of the stuff about David's mother comes from this current scene, not much about her has come out as yet. But all of that will be remedied as this current scene unfolds. But keep in mind that because the entire first half of this current scene was dropped when the two scenes were combined for the pilot, within the slideshow there will be a time before we get to any part of it that appears in the pilot. And with that in mind, this is how the script sets up the current scene:

INT. GREAT HALL - COLLINWOOD - DAY

Victoria enters and finds Elizabeth in a chair near the fire, reading. Victoria hesitates, as if working up the courage to ask a question, when Elizabeth looks up.

And that is when Elizabeth is scripted to ask today's quote -

Page 42 - Elizabeth: 'Looking for Roger?'

- though, of course, that was dropped from the pilot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 10, 2014, 03:01:42 AM »
In DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1965) [spoiler]the Count is imprisoned in the castle moat under ice at the end of the film.  In the following film, DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE, he is released when blood from a victim trickles onto the ice and revives him.[/spoiler]

According to Montague Summers in THE VAMPIRE: HIS KITH AND KIN (a fascinating volume), vampires cannot cross running water.  Since the castle was shown in the very first Hammer film as situated next to a babbling brook that one had to cross over a bridge, one wonders just how Dracula was ever able to leave his own home.

Very cool photo of the (un)Dead Kelly...

G.

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 10, 2014, 03:32:29 AM »
Kelly could have easily been a break out character if the series had been greenlighted. I could picture her playing Willie,  Barnabas and Stokes off against each other.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 11, 2014, 01:05:07 AM »
According to Montague Summers in THE VAMPIRE: HIS KITH AND KIN (a fascinating volume), vampires cannot cross running water.  Since the castle was shown in the very first Hammer film as situated next to a babbling brook that one had to cross over a bridge, one wonders just how Dracula was ever able to leave his own home.

Maybe Drac always went out the back way of his castle, and then had to take the "scenic route", going all the way up to, and around, the source of the brook, whenever he needed to go somewhere in the direction that the front faced...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 11, 2014, 02:54:11 AM »
Am I mis-remembering, or was it the case that the dialogue in the scene that is starting now played in the final cut (shown at the Festival) as part of the breakfast scene?

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 11, 2014, 03:01:56 AM »
Yes, in the pilot this scene was combined with the breakfast scene to make one scene. However, it's a case that the beginning of the breakfast scene was combined with the end of this scene, so nothing that we're seeing from this scene at the moment was in the pilot. Though I will certainly point out when we reach the point in this scene where what's going on does appear in the pilot.  [ghost_smiley]