Author Topic: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 97746 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #435 on: July 17, 2014, 07:48:21 PM »
Today's quote in the slideshow -

Page 33 - Roger: 'A cynic might wonder if you're just some long-lost Brit angling for a hand-out.'

- was completely dropped from the pilot.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 18, 2014, 04:46:49 PM »
My reaction to today's Barnabas line: *thud*

Thanks as always, MB!   [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 18, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
 [pointing-up]  [lghy]  [naughty]

Though sadly today's quote -

Page 34 - Barnabas: 'The cynic often finds genuine passion difficult to understand. (intense) And make no mistake, it is passion that fuels my desire.'

- is another that was dropped from the scene in the pilot. But I suppose that's not a surprise given it's in response to Roger's dropped quote of yesterday. However, as we'll learn before too long, Barnabas' "desire" isn't quite what it may seem to be at first glance before it's given a context in this scene.  ;)  (Although, that being said, the first interpretation of Barnabas' "desire" just might play out down the road in other moments/scenes.  [nodassent])

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 18, 2014, 06:29:47 PM »
ooooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 18, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »
It appears there's a "cross-over," if you will, between DS '04 and '12.  Both Barnabas' were questioned (in '04 by Roger and in '12 by Elizabeth) about their "cousin" showing up to try and get some moola.  Interestingly, the '04 Collins family was still loaded while the '12 family was struggling.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 19, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »
And probably needless to say, today's quote -

Page 34 - Elizabeth: 'Desire for what, Mr. Collins?'

- was also completely dropped from the pilot. However, when he answers Elizabeth's question as part of tomorrow's (only partially dropped) quote, we will learn what Barnabas' desire actually is scripted as in this scene. But more on that tomorrow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 21, 2014, 12:50:05 AM »
As for today's quote -

Page 34 - Barnabas: 'A home. With your permission, I'd like to restore the old manor house. (off their surprise) I took the liberty of walking the grounds earlier today.'

- the "A home" part is dropped. But given that it's in response to Elizabeth's dropped question, no surprise there - though it does reveal what Barnabas' actual desire is - or rather it would have had it been included in the pilot.

Also dropped is the "(off their surprise) I took the liberty of walking the grounds earlier today" part.

So, the way things play out in the pilot is that after Barnabas says (back in the quote for the 16th) that he's decided it's time to reclaim his heritage, he goes immediately to "With your permission, I'd like to restore the old manor house." And that does flow nicely from the heritage line, but it's still a bit of a shame that the whole "cynic" exchange in the script was dropped because I like it. However, P. J. Hogan didn't consult me as to what he should or shouldn't have dropped while shooting the pilot.  [ghost_nowink]

And in closing for this post, after Barnabas' quote the script indicates:

Roger and Elizabeth exchange astonished looks.

But then, regardless of the version of DS, don't they always whenever Barnabas says he wants to restore the Old House?  [ghost_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 21, 2014, 02:03:45 AM »
More great stuff, MB.

It's too bad that whoever owns the rights seems determined never to let this film see the light of day.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 22, 2014, 12:22:24 AM »
With today's quote -

Page 34 - Roger: 'Then you know that place is a tear-down. Start throwing money at it, you'll never stop.'

- because Barnabas' remark about having taken the liberty of walking the grounds is not in the pilot, what Roger replies in the pilot is "That place is a tear-down. Start throwing money at it, you'll never stop."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 23, 2014, 03:04:30 AM »
When it comes to today's quote -

Page 34 - Barnabas: 'Cost is of no consequence. It's our ancestral home and deserves better...'

- with a laugh Barnabas says that the cost of restoring the old manor house is of no consequence, but the "It's our ancestral home and deserves better..." part is dropped in the pilot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 23, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
Before today's quote, the script indicates:

Suddenly, David rushes down the stairs, Victoria chasing after him. David's SHOUTING, clearly upset with Barnabas.

However, just like how Elizabeth and Roger don't come down stairs to meet Barnabas, David doesn't come down any stairs either. He simply runs into the room.

And as for the quote itself -

Page 34 - David: 'No! Stay away from there!'

- what actually happens in the pilot is we hear David screaming "I gotta go! No! No! No, no!" as he comes running in.

And from this point on the scene has much in common with the way things play out when Barnabas introduces himself in the '91 DS. Though there is one major and quite significant difference. But more on that once it comes up...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 24, 2014, 03:39:53 AM »
I really wish I had any memory at all of this scene.  The actual dialogue from the completed episode as quoted for David makes it sound as if he was running in search of a bathroom.  As we all know, such facilities apparently did not exist at the original Collinwood.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 24, 2014, 04:20:26 AM »
As we'll learn very shortly, upon hearing what Barnabas has said about the Old House, David is actually running away from someone.

And as for this Collinwood, well, we know that at the very least there's a bathroom in Vicki's suite because we've seen it.  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 24, 2014, 06:06:01 PM »
Oops - I forgot that at this point in the scene some of the lines are switched around/broken up. That's why the graphic of Vicki has been switched to Roger. And the graphic switch is because rather than Vicki delivering today's quote -

Page 34 - Victoria: 'Sorry, he got away from me.'

- now, in the pilot Roger explains with an irritated sigh "Mr. Collins, this is my son David" beforehand, whereas in the script that explanation comes as part of two introductions that Roger will make in tomorrow's quote. And tomorrow I'll explain how Vicki's quote fits into the scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 26, 2014, 05:53:09 PM »
I actually waited until today to explain the script vs. the pilot because I figured it would not only be easier, it would hopefully be clearer. So, with that in mind, this is how the script details recent events in this scene:

Suddenly, David rushes down the stairs, Victoria chasing after him. David's SHOUTING, clearly upset with Barnabas.

DAVID
No! Stay away from there!

VICTORIA
Sorry, he got away from me.

As Victoria crosses the great hall, Barnabas turns and

JOLTS

with astonished recognition, as if Victoria reminds him of someone important.

ROGER
(to Barnabas)
Mr. Collins, this is my son David...
his tutor, Victoria Winters.

Breathless, Victoria smiles at Barnabas, offering her free hand while she tries to corral David.

VICTORIA
Mr. Collins.

As their hands touch, there is an electric moment. Barnabas locks eyes with Victoria with fierce intensity.

VICTORIA (CONT'D)
I'm sorry... have we met?

We've already dealt with David's quote, so this is how the rest of the dialogue to this point plays out in the pilot:

Roger: "Mr. Collins, this is my son David..."
Victoria: "I'm sorry, he got away from me."
Roger: "His tutor, Victoria Winters."
Victoria:  (sharp intake of breath upon touching Barnabas' hand) "Have we met?"

Note the slight difference in the way some of Vicki's lines are delivered. And also note that having her say "Mr. Collins" as she reaches out to him is dropped in the pilot.

Though the part of this section of the scene that I find most interesting is that Vicki feels an instant and an obvious connection towards Barnabas upon meeting him and she brings that connection up first. The connection isn't simply one way on Barnabas' part - and that seems quite unique to this version of DS. And tomorrow we'll get Barnabas' reaction to Vicki's question...