Author Topic: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 98411 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #300 on: May 19, 2014, 05:58:36 PM »
After yesterday's quote -

Page 24 - Carolyn: 'Early to bed, early to rise. You do the math.'

- from Carolyn, the script explains -

Sam's daughter, MAGGIE EVANS (attractive, 20s), glances over from a table near the bar.

-and then today's quote -

Page 24 - Maggie: 'Why do you think Sam gave up fishing for the glamour of bartending?'

- from Maggie comes up - and we learn our first thing about this Sam that he doesn't have in common with any other version of the character.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 19, 2014, 11:27:43 PM »
I continue to be fascinated by all of this.  Thanks again, MB, for your diligence, imaginative energy, and wit in editing, compiling and annotating all of this material.  My mind reels at the thought of how much time it all must have taken, particularly whenever you post one of your script outline charts!

cheers,

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 20, 2014, 04:54:03 PM »
With the charts I made one that went from the beginning of the pilot all the way through to this scene. As different scenes have come up, I simply shortened that original chart to the point that we were dealing with and then erased any entries that I didn't want to give away too soon. But I am going to have to add on to the original chart very soon (or start an entirely brand new chart - I haven't decided which yet) because of something rather interesting that they did for the pilot, which was combine into one two different scenes from two different points in the script. But more on that when we get to it...

But as for the work that goes into the slideshow, like most of what we do here, it's a labor of love. And don't forget that Midnite and dom are also helping me. At times their contributions have been invaluable - and it will be Midnite's turn to pick out the quotes for June, with dom following with the ones for July...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 20, 2014, 08:30:03 PM »
After yesterday's quote from Maggie, the script explains:

Carolyn turns, watching Maggie methodically flip tarot cards.

And that gives context to what Carolyn asks with today's quote:

Page 24 - Carolyn: 'So what do you think, Maggie? Is Joe the one?'

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 20, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »
Was Maggie going to be the Prof. Stokes/town psychic character here as well? It would seem so...

G.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 21, 2014, 12:33:16 AM »
G, we already have Prof. Stokes, though.  But we don't know too much about his occult dealings (to my knowledge). 

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 21, 2014, 01:53:30 AM »
I'm probably wrong, but having '04's Sam and Maggie being a retread of '91's personifications, rather than being closer to '66's, seems to me that this was an example of how DC did have a hand in this. 

Gerard

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 21, 2014, 03:18:43 AM »
It is unfortunate to say the least.  We don't need a psychic in modern-day Collinsport, unless said psychic is named Madame Findley.   [easter_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 21, 2014, 05:50:04 AM »
I'm probably wrong, but having '04's Sam and Maggie being a retread of '91's personifications, rather than being closer to '66's, seems to me that this was an example of how DC did have a hand in this.

Actually, I believe you are quite right. According to several different interviews that get into the development of the '04 pilot's script, apparently whenever something new and innovative was brought up, DC balked and pushed for the same old thing. However, even though DC was often overruled because he wasn't the last word in the development of the pilot, he was merely one of three exec producers, in other instances DC's way was the way they went. And it's a good guess that whenever DC won, it was when he was fighting for those aspects of the '91 DS that made it into the '04 pilot. Though thankfully, there are also many ways in which the '04 pilot is nothing like any other version of DS, and certainly nothing like hoDS, which those same interviews tend to indicate that, if DC had completely had his way, he would have preferred to have remade again. Thank heavens that wasn't allowed!

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 22, 2014, 01:02:30 AM »
Can you imagine if they had used NoDS as the inspiration for the '04 retread ... or ever?  Wonder what direction that might have wandered off in ...
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 22, 2014, 01:41:36 AM »
How cool would that be?  I have an idea for a NoDS approach to a new DS project that actually works with Liz, Roger, Carolyn, Victoria, and Barnabas.  DCP, let me know if you're interested.   [easter_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 22, 2014, 04:16:05 AM »
After today's quote -

Page 24 - Maggie: (looks up from cards) 'Never ask a question unless you're ready for any answer.'

- the script explains:

Carolyn nods wryly at that, finishing her drink.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 25, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »
I've had some inquires as to why I haven't posted anything in this topic for the past few days. Well, that's because the script doesn't contain any direction/explanation to enhance any of the latest dialogue - probably because the latest dialogue seems to be fairly self-explanatory. However, something will be coming up with the 27th's quote. And the lack of direction/explanation in this current scene in the slideshow will be more than made up for when we get to the upcoming stuff for the 29th and the 30th because it's mostly all direction/explanation in the script with very little dialogue. But more on that when it comes up...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 27, 2014, 04:32:21 PM »
After yesterday's quote (regarding Vicki) -

Page 25 - Sam: 'Because she couldn't have found a better friend.'

- from Sam, it's indicated in the script that -

Touched by that, Carolyn gives Sam a kiss on the cheek.

- and then today's quote -

Page 25 - Carolyn: 'You are a frighteningly sweet man, Sam.'

- from Carolyn comes up. And tomorrow's response from Sam will reveal the biggest background change to Sam's character. But more on that tomorrow and the doors it might have opened up...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 28, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »
After today's quote -

Page 25 - Sam: 'Not according to my first three wives, but I'll take it. (as she leaves) Be safe.

- the script explains -

Carolyn puts on her coat and waves at Sam, pushing outside as Maggie flips another card, revealing the skeletal

DEATH CARD.

As she frowns, glancing after Carolyn with worry...

- and that's the end of the scene - but certainly not the end of what can be discussed:

It's fascinating to think that this Sam has been married at least three times, probably more. And one can't help but wonder which marriage Maggie is a product of. Did Maggie have a series of stepmothers? Or is Maggie's mother Sam's last wife or possibly even his current wife? Though if Maggie did have a series of stepmothers, what was her relationship like with them, and more importantly, with Sam. Sam's remark doesn't make one believe that, as was the case on the original series, it was mostly Sam and Maggie alone against the world for most of their relationship. Sadly, we'll never know. But depending on how the writers decided to go with all the possibilities, Maggie and Sam's relationship just might have been one of the most interesting on the show had the pilot been picked up...

And getting back to the end of the scene, what might the Tarot's warning portend? Well, you won't have to wait too long for that because you'll have an excellent idea as soon as I finish putting together the latest scenes chart and post it...