Author Topic: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 98361 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2014, 05:10:59 AM »
I wish I could report this more accurately, but what I recall from my one viewing is that the scene in Willie's digs was shot in a very offbeat way.  I remember weird angles and garish color grading with lots of brilliant scarlet and orangey-yellows from the lighting.  Most of the pilot had a very unusual look to it.  It may be that further memories will be sparked by MB's incredibly helpful and expository posts, and if so, I'll write what I can recall.  I took no notes and didn't really discuss the screening much with my friends at the time, so these memories are vague at best.

Again, excellent work from all involved with this project.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2014, 08:12:08 PM »
Before we get to today's quote it should be pointed out that what Kelly wanted to show Willie in yesterday's quote is described in the script with:

Ignoring Willie's frustration, Kelly goes to the kitchen table, where she's laid out an array of old letters.

Though, of course, things play out differently in the pilot because Willie gets far from frustrated considering that Kelly doesn't abruptly leave his bed in favor of going to the kitchen - instead they get into that full out makeout session that we've been discussing. However, in the middle of said makeout session Willie similarly asks today's quote -

Page 13 - Willie: 'What's all this?'

- (though in the pilot he actualy asks "What's all this stuff?") because, rather than having spread out the old letters on the kitchen table, Kelly has them spread out over Willie's bed. And three guess as to what some of those letters might be about.  [snow_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2014, 09:22:27 PM »
Page 13 - Kelly: 'Homework from Professor Stokes.'

I've always thought that it's interesting that even though Prof. Stokes doesn't appear in the pilot physically, he does have a presence in it. And given what we will soon learn about him, it's fascinating to think about what his role in the series might have been had the pilot been picked up. But that sort of speculation should probably wait until after we've gotten much deeper into the script/pilot because there's also so much more to come that would have colored Stokes' role in a series...

And just for the record, today's and tomorrow's quotes are delivered in the pilot exactly as scripted.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
Wow.  I don't even remember Stokes being mentioned in this scene!

This is great stuff!

Best,  G.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2014, 12:04:54 AM »
Stokes?  That's ... so ... COOL!

I always thought he would pop up in the 1991 series, probably played by Stefan Gierasch, sans beard and mustache ("Oh, I'm sorry ... you reminded me of ... my FATHER!  I mean, someone.  I've never met.")  Alas.

Does the 2004 hypothetical Stokes work at Miskatonic U, along with his other Lovecraft-steeped brethren?
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2014, 05:07:37 AM »
Oh wow. I really wish we had gotten at least a glimpse of Stokes, "the freak with the beret."

Loving this...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2014, 04:04:03 AM »
As tomorrow's quote will show, it might prove wise not to read too much into one line of dialogue.  [snow_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2014, 05:02:13 AM »
Yesterday's quote:

Page 13 - Willie: 'The freak with the beret?'

Today's quote:

Page 13 - Kelly: 'Bow-tie. And he has some wild theories about the Collins family.

See.  [snow_wink]  Though the idea of someone like Thayer David's Stokes in a beret might have been a hoot, if a bit too eccentric.
At least we know the WB's Stokes would have still had a penchant for bow-ties.  [snow_smiley]  But my question is, would he have had a monocle?

So many questions, so few answers...

But lest we ignore today's quote, what Kelly actually says in the pilot is "Bow-tie. And he has some pretty wild theories about the Collins family."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2014, 05:15:18 AM »
Does the 2004 hypothetical Stokes work at Miskatonic U, along with his other Lovecraft-steeped brethren?

That's an interesting question given that the script describes Kelly as wearing 'a "Miskatonic U." belly shirt.' Though I don't honestly recall if she really does wear one in the pilot or not. If she does, presumably that could be where she goes to college - and if that's true, it would be where Stokes teaches, which would be interesting given that in the Lovecraftian universe Miskatonic U is located in the fictitious town of Arkham, MA. But Kelly could easily commute between there and Collinsport, ME, so it's hardly out of the question.

Does anyone recall whether or not Kelly really does wear a Miskatonic U. belly shirt in the pilot?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 20, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »
That's an interesting question given that the script describes Kelly as wearing 'a "Miskatonic U." belly shirt.' Though I don't honestly recall if she really does wear one in the pilot or not. If she does, presumably that could be where she goes to college - and if that's true, it would be where Stokes teaches, which would be interesting given that in the Lovecraftian universe Miskatonic U is located in the fictitious town of Arkham, MA. But Kelly could easily commute between there and Collinsport, ME, so it's hardly out of the question.

Does anyone recall whether or not Kelly really does wear a Miskatonic U. belly shirt in the pilot?

In the pilot, Kelly attends fictional Hallowell U, though it's a real city in the area.  And not only was her school changed from the one in the script (Miskatonic),[spoiler]but the last name given by the Sheriff after he identified her body from her student ID differed from what's listed in all the production material (Greer).[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2014, 07:12:08 PM »
If I'd been smart enough to think of this last night, which I wasn't, I might have known some of that because I just looked up one of the available photos of Kelly (one of the ones that I mentioned aren't suitable for this scene for reasons that will become obvious down the road) and in it she's wearing a Hallowell t-shirt. Well, all you can see is "Hallowe" - but given your info, it's obviously a Hallowell t-shirt. [snow_wink]  And thanks for the info because quite obviously I'd forgotten. Though it is almost a disappointment that she isn't wearing a Miskatonic U. belly shirt.  [snow_cheesy]

[spoiler]but the last name given by the Sheriff after he identified her body from her student ID differed from what's listed in all the production material (Greer).[/spoiler]

So in other words she's the Todd Jennings/Blake of the '04 pilot!!  [snow_cheesy]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2014, 07:51:02 PM »
So in other words she's the Todd Jennings/Blake of the '04 pilot!!  [snow_cheesy]

LOL, yes!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2014, 08:52:29 PM »
BWAH HAH HAH!!!!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 21, 2014, 09:00:53 PM »
Given today's graphic, you may have already surmised that today's quote -

Page 13 - Willie: 'As wild as me?'

- was completely dropped from the pilot.

In the script Willie was supposed to come up behind Kelly, wrap his arms around her, and then deliver that line. But since in the pilot they're still on his bed...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 22, 2014, 09:50:02 PM »
And considering that today's quote is in response to yesterday's dropped quote, it will come as no surprise that today's quote -

Page 13 - Kelly: (withering) 'That's cute, but save it for one of your cheerleaders.'

- was also dropped from the pilot.