Author Topic: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 97506 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2014, 03:42:53 AM »
I guess we wouldn't have heard this Roger complaining about "yet another of Sophia's boiled dinners..."

I suspect it was pretty much guaranteed that we wouldn't have heard any disparaging remarks from Roger about Sophia's cooking.  [snow_wink]

I know these are random but these are the things that go through my mind...call it the Shadows Syndrome...lol

Something I think most, if not all of us can relate to. I know I can!  [snow_cheesy]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »
Now, let me guess.  I'll bet Roger has a special thing for Sophia because of her secret mayonaisse recipe.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2014, 04:56:20 PM »
Gerard, I like your sense of humor! lol!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2014, 05:42:23 PM »
Now, let me guess.  I'll bet Roger has a special thing for Sophia because of her secret mayonaisse recipe.

LOL - if only the pilot had gone to series, perhaps we would have found out that very thing! Though the attraction is probably obvious. Just look at that photo of Jenna Dewan in reply #102.  [snow_wink]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2014, 08:47:02 PM »

Well, maybe if the series were to have been on HBO or Showtime...   [snow_blush]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »
 [pointing-up]  [rofl10]  I like the way your mind works, KMR!!  [naughty]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2014, 06:01:01 AM »
It's worth noting that after today's quote -

Page 10 - Sophia: 'I don't remember all the attitude when you asked if I could get you on here.'

- the script indicates that:

Willie's clearly irritated at the reminder.

Though what he does after tomorrow's quote is what's most interesting. But that will have to wait until tomorrow.  [snow_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2014, 05:12:02 PM »
After today's quote -

Page 10 - Willie: 'Guess I just want more out of life than "you missed a spot."'

- the script points out that:

Annoyed, Willie makes a point of RUNNING HIS FINGER across Roger's cake as he leaves.

And with that, that's the end of the scene.

Poor Roger - having his cake "violated" that way.  [snow_wink]  But something tells me that Sophia repaired it as soon as Willie left the kitchen.  [snow_cheesy]

Thankfully, that's also the last completely "cut, trimmed, or changed" scene we'll be seeing in the slideshow until another such scene shows up in the script for May's slideshow. That's not to say that the upcoming scenes between now and May won't have bits changed between the script and the pilot - but for the most part things will adhere pretty closely to the script. Well, with one departure: from here on into May the order of scenes in the script was juggled around in the pilot. But we'll get into that more deeply with tomorrow's quote...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2014, 11:53:11 PM »
Wonderful.  So, none of this was in the completed pilot?  The scene with Willie and Sophia in the kitchen? Because I don't remember it at all.  But then, it seems as if there was quite a bit from my one viewing that I just don't recall... you and Midnite must have made awesome notes from your respective viewings!!

Admiringly,

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »
Why is today's quote in the slideshow -

Page 10 - Victoria: 'It's open.'

- indicated as "cut, trimmed, or changed"? Well that's because the beginning of this next scene is almost completely different in the pilot from the way it is in the script:

As far as the script is concerned, Vicki is in her bedroom unpacking her suitcase when there's a knock at the door, to which she responds with today's quote.

However, while the scene in the pilot also begins with Vicki unpacking, the door to her room is already wide open and Carolyn suddenly appears in the doorway. She asks, "Can't sleep?" to which a startled Vicki (who had no idea Carolyn had arrived) replies, "Ah! Oh! I guess I'm still trying to get used to all this." Carolyn then observes with a bit of a laugh, "You and me both." And after a pause, Carolyn then basically delivers the lines that will come up in tomorrow's quote.

And as if all that wasn't interesting enough, this scene appears later in the pilot than it does in the script - and here's a chart to show what we've covered in the script/pilot so far, where this scene appears in the script, and where it appears in the pilot:

As you can see, the two scenes that appear in the script after this scene actually jump up in the pilot to appear before it. What are those scenes? Well, they won't be revealed until they come up in the script because at the outset of this slideshow we indicated that the slideshow will be following the order that scenes appear in the script (as was also the case when we did the NoDS slideshow) rather than in the actual pilot. However, we will continue to post charts like the one above so that the order in the script vs. the order in the pilot doesn't get too confusing.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
The only difference between today's quote -

Page 10 - Carolyn: 'Victoria? Carolyn Stoddard. (offers hand) I decided to skip the mob introductions. My uncle Roger can be intimidating enough.'

- and what's said in the pilot is that the "Victoria?" part is dropped. But then Carolyn has already been conversing with Vicki, so obviously Carolyn already knows who Vicki is.  [snow_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2014, 06:00:10 AM »
The only difference between today's quote -

Page 10 - Victoria: 'If brusque is as bad as it gets, I'll be fine.'

- and how it's delivered in the pilot is that Vicki says "Well, if brusque is as bad as it gets, I'll be fine."

However, as we'll soon be seeing, the next four upcoming quotes were either entirely changed or completely dropped...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2014, 06:06:38 AM »
The fact is that all four of the next four quotes were dropped from the pilot - though there was also dialogue added to the scene to replace most of them. And merely for the purposes of the slideshow I'm saying that today's quote -

Page 11 - Carolyn: 'I hope so. Between that and the sheer isolation, it can get a little weird up here.'

- was dropped rather than changed simply because it's a quote attributed to Carolyn, whereas the first of the changed bits of dialogue in the actual pilot that will soon be coming up and which followed Vicki's quote in reply #131 is also attributed to Vicki.

Often when we have a discussion about scripts I lament that dialogue was dropped because it actually added things to scenes. Though in this case I think it was a very good idea that today's and the upcoming quotes were dropped/changed because to me the original lines seem rather a bit awkward. But you can decide for yourselves as they continue to come up and you see what they were replaced with.

And with that in mind, I'd also like to post about the second of the four quotes and what it was replaced with - and I do this because the quote is dated for February 29th so there will still be an installment for the slideshow during leap years. But considering the next leap year isn't until 2016, that's a bit long to wait to see what will be coming up on that day. So, the quote from the script for February 29 is:

Page 11 - Victoria: 'You make Collinsport sound like a third-world country.'

It was replaced with Vicki asking, "Carolyn, how do you deal with 200 rooms?"

Wow, 200 rooms in this Collinwood! The Collinwood of the original series had only 40 rooms. The Collinwood of the two original movies had an indistinct number of rooms (but for anyone who knows Lyndhurst, as it was there were barely enough bedrooms in the place for the family and staff that was living there). And when asked in the '91 series how many room were in Collinwood, Vicki was simply told by Carolyn that she didn't think anyone had counted them. But 200 rooms might just have been the largest Collinwood ever. And just think of the unfulfilled possibilities that might have been presented in exploring some of them in a WB series as was done in the original series. But alas...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2014, 02:37:31 PM »
Again, MB, this is all fascinating.  I don't remember Carolyn at all from my one viewing of this, and I certainly don't recall her scene with Vicki at this point. 

The chart is pretty cool but I actually find your discursive notes the most helpful, since I do not have a copy of the screenplay, or a tape of the film (obviously). 

I would, of course, completely understand if you're unable to keep up with writing the notes.  Life happens while we are making other plans (jejune comment, but true).

Best, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2014, 05:28:05 PM »
Explaining the scenes and the differences between what's in the script and how things turned out in the pilot has been half the fun of doing this slideshow, so I'll definitely be continuing to do it.  [snow_smiley]