Author Topic: And Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 46479 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: And Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 05:19:00 AM »
I know this is beyond the realm of trivia, but can anyone tell me what the food item is suppsed to be that's huddled on Julia's plate?  The only thing that comes to mind is those melon balls that Seventies hostesses used sometimes to soak in champagne or something.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 05:40:16 AM »
The sequence is also interesting in how it presents David. During Vicki's interview with Elizabeth and the scene with Carolyn, David is painted as a "looney". But the one prank that we actually see him play is quite benign. The kid is sad, neglected and lonely but far from the psychopath in training that earlier incarnations of David have been.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 07:05:10 AM »
The whole Carolyn 'thang' was lost on me in this scene but the captures are making things a bit clearer. I was notified today that my best girlfriend in California sent me the DVD. I'm thrilled!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 08:15:31 PM »
I'm so excited for you, dom!  [snow_happy]  And it's always nice to have a generous friend.  [snow_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 08:54:50 PM »
I'm enjoying this more than I did actually watching the movie.  And you're achieving what I had thought was completely impossible--making me want to sit through the movie again!

That is great to read. Our hope for this slideshow has been that with Midnite and I sharing some of our favorite moments in the film, it might motivate people to give the film a deeper look and a better understanding of why we like it. If we achieve that in even one person, our efforts will be well worth it.  [snow_smiley]

HBC is such a hoot.  I wish more of her deleted scenes had been released.

If only. But who knows what might happen some day down the road...

I don't remember anything being said, anywhere, about the Depp Shadows' Elizabeth's husband.  Can you refresh my memory?

Well, no, so far as I know there wasn't any mention of Liz' husband in anything related to the film. I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused. What I meant with regard to him is that at the party when Carolyn recites the intro to Alice Cooper's "Ballard of Dwight Fry" that deals with a child asking its mother where its father is, that definitely strikes a cord with Liz - and one can tell that Carolyn does it with the intention of getting a reaction from Liz. But when it comes to what was written in Liz' character description, it said that she hadn't left Collinwood for 10 years. Yet that exchange of looks at the party is all we get so far as referencing Mr. Stoddard's absence goes -  and the part about Liz not leaving Collinwood isn't referenced at all. Though both are things that would have an effect on Carolyn and her behavior.

I know this is beyond the realm of trivia, but can anyone tell me what the food item is suppsed to be that's huddled on Julia's plate?  The only thing that comes to mind is those melon balls that Seventies hostesses used sometimes to soak in champagne or something.

I believe what's on the serving platter and in people's plates are the vegetable for their meal. It looks like they're eating unpeeled new potatoes (which is what the round things are) and carrots:

Though as for the other serving in their plates and on the platter, it looks like it might be greenish and leafy, but I can't really tell with any certainty what it is. Perhaps some sort of cabbage thing. [snow_undecided]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 09:11:38 PM »
The sequence is also interesting in how it presents David. During Vicki's interview with Elizabeth and the scene with Carolyn, David is painted as a "looney". But the one prank that we actually see him play is quite benign. The kid is sad, neglected and lonely but far from the psychopath in training that earlier incarnations of David have been.

Very true. And we'll be dealing with a lot of that within the slideshow very shortly.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »
It really looks as if Julia's having a liquid dinner...

You're really making me regret that the HBC Julia wound up being barely above a cameo appearance here.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
there were certain things that appeared in prerelease material that ended up having absolutely nothing to do with what ended up being in the actual film...

one being this thing about liz being "reclusive" or not having "left collinwood in ten years". nothing that actually took place within the narrative even hinted at that.

we clearly see that "angie" and liz know each other when she comes to collinwood after barnabas' release. and there are multiple shots of liz in collinsport and at the cannery without the slightest bit of exposition of it being unusual for her to leave the estate.

as the story ended up playing out it would have served no purpose for liz to be this recluse so somewhere along the lines this was taken out of the scripts entirely.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »
It really looks as if Julia's having a liquid dinner...

Yes indeed! I don't think Julia even touches her food. It's a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other!  [snow_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 09:44:37 PM »
there were certain things that appeared in prerelease material that ended up having absolutely nothing to do with what ended up being in the actual film...

one being this thing about liz being "reclusive" or not having "left collinwood in ten years". nothing that actually took place within the narrative even hinted at that.

... so somewhere along the lines this was taken out of the scripts entirely.

Yes, that's quite possible, similar to how the years for the prologue as it takes place in the film were completely changed from what we were told in the WB May 2011 Press Release.

Though there could be a slight possibility that any and all hints to Liz' secret (because, remember, all the characters were supposed to have secrets) ended up on the cutting room floor for one reason or another. In particular there may have been scenes before Barnabas' arrival or soon after his arrival that dealt with much of it before Barnabas' plan to restore the family's fortunes was executed. Though, of course, probably one of the only ways we'll ever really know is if one day we get to read the script.

And speaking of scenes that may have ended up on the cutting room floor, though storylinewise it may not seem so, there is something that leads me to believe that quite possibly Vicki and Barnabas may not have arrived at Collinwood on the same day, or at least what appears to be the same day as the film would seem to imply. But more on that soon after next month's quotes/captures begin. Though the eagle-eyed among us may spot some of the evidence before this month ends.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2013, 10:33:21 PM »
indeed there is a huge continuity gaffe with vicki and barnabas arriving at collinsport on the same day. a scene, or scenes, appear to be missing and as you suggest may have ended up on the cutting room floor...

in the scene under discussion here david comes down to dinner in his pajamas. implying the family dines quite late. carolyn is sent to her room. and the next scene is vicki, in her nightgown, unpacking her suitcase before receiving the "he's coming" visitation from josette and being lead through what seems like a house at rest. all of this would imply it's quite late in the evening at this point...

then we cut to barnabas' release...and his scene in collinsport implies it's early evening. more so when he arrives at collinwood carolyn and david are dressed and downstairs, liz is wearing different clothes, and it appears to be an entirely different night.

granted in a fantastical scenario such as this one can't take things too literally but it's a big error in continuity. [snow_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2013, 11:08:27 PM »
I thought Liz's secret macrame cupboard was one hell of a secret.  AND a clear nod to the fact that somebody high up in the production unit reads these boards and knows about our secret Dutch macrame fetish thang...

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2013, 05:45:21 AM »
Good, lord. I just finished watching and typing my thoughts on OS episode #411. This is the episode we see Barnabas with blood on his mouth, chin, neck and shirt. It's quite a jolting sight. And then I go to the board index page and see an unexpected new slide of Depp as Barn with blood on his face and clothes. An eerie coincidence.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 06:15:58 PM »
It's purely coincidental, but I love how today's capture/caption of Willie offering his flask of liquor to Barnabas happens to fall on St. Patrick's Day, a day that's pretty much synonymous with drinking.    [drunk22] 

1972 - Willie: 'Well, here's all you need to know.'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2013, 10:37:54 PM »
In relation to today's capture/quote from the film showing Barnabas discovering Elizabeth's macrame behind a hidden door, I absolutely love the look Elizabeth gives him after he tells her it's a "disgraceful misuse" of the room!

It's like "I don't give a shit what you think!"  [easter_cheesy]  But then, it's not like at that point she even knows who he is, so it's not like she's going to respond politely after Barnabas insults her, especially when she's also still highly suspicious of him.

I thought Liz's secret macrame cupboard was one hell of a secret.  AND a clear nod to the fact that somebody high up in the production unit reads these boards and knows about our secret Dutch macrame fetish thang...

I wanted to wait until the slideshow reached the macrame sequence before getting back to this. And it is certainly interesting that some of things that have gone on on the forum did somehow make their way into the film in one fashion or another - particularly some things from the Games boards. But who knows if someone connected to the film reads the forum or not?  [easter_undecided]  Maybe it's simply a case that some members here and at least one person with enough pull on the film share the same and often twisted sensibility when it comes to DS.  [easter_grin]