Author Topic: And Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 46056 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: And Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2013, 09:26:57 PM »
I love the look Barnabas gives Willie after Willie uses the excuse that Barnabas is English to explain away Barnabas' rudeness to Deputy Hank:

For the looks Barnabas and Willie throw at each other alone, it's a shame this scene was cut. Well, that and we missed hearing Gilbert O"Sullivan's big hit "Alone Again (Naturally)" playing on the car radio. If that song wasn't one of the biggest blasts from 1972 (#1 for 6 weeks on both Billboard's Hot 100 Singles and Easy Listening charts - not to mention the 5th most-popular record of the '70s), I don't know what was. [ghost_grin]

It's also interesting that for all the cut scenes, this was the only one with any certainty that I can think of to have a part show up in any of the trailers/TV spots.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2013, 08:00:06 PM »
Today's quote is perhaps my favorite line in the entire film. It perfectly encapsulates Barnabas' attempted journey in every version of DS that he appears in:

1972 - Barnabas: 'You must have faith, doctor - for if a man
can become a monster, than a monster can become a man.'

And the expression on Depp's face when he delivers it says it all.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2013, 06:42:47 PM »
Say what you will about the ending of the current scene in the slideshow, but I absolutely love the look on Julia's face when she's about to:

And the reaction from Barnabas as she does:

And as has been said, if that ending was inspired in any way by anything that's been said on the forum through the years, so much the better!  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
After I finally saw the movie I figured this was the scene that nobody liked not realizing that it was the final scene and the 'big reveal' that everyone was pissing and moaning about. I didn't particularly care for this 'reveal'.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2013, 07:46:57 PM »
I guess it all depends on how or even if you've ever joked about Julia's desire for Barnabas and how far she might have to go to finally get through to him. If like me and many others in fandom, you've joked about Julia suddenly deciding to just up and do something similar to finally get through to Barnabas, then it's a complete hoot and a half to actually see the act implied on screen.  [ghost_cheesy]  If not, well, I suppose you could easily have another reaction.  [ghost_undecided]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2013, 08:01:27 PM »
Well, you know what a prude I am, MB, lol.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2013, 08:59:12 PM »
Perhaps he should have taken the advice of the late Peter Finch: Close your eyes and think of England.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2013, 05:06:15 AM »
Depp's Eddie Munster makeup and Trask wannabe line delivery ruins every scene he's in for me in this movie.  Sorry.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2013, 05:10:12 AM »
and it just occurred to me that perhaps Juliana was trying to acquire some BarnaDepp DNA via the most natural means available to her... lol.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »
I've been so busy lately that I've missed commenting on a lot of things in the slideshow, and I'll have to go back to do so once I get the chance. But one thing that I don't want to let pass by while we're still in the current scene is that the capture for yesterday's quote was nearly this:

1972 - Angie: 'We're both monsters, Barnabas. Just two big
fish in an itty-bitty pond. Now, we can either fight until one
of us is dead, or we can make ... little fish together.'

I really enjoy whenever Angie/Eva has that snarky look on her face. But in the end Midnite and I decided to go for a more romantic image - particularly because of how Angie is attempting to engage Barn romantically, but he's not having any of it - yet.

Also, I just love the following capture. Even though the moment (which occurs between yesterday's and today's capture/quote) isn't a part of the slideshow, I definitely had to share it:

Some women just can't seem to stay away from Barn's crotch.  [naughty]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2013, 05:43:27 AM »
And as evidenced by yesterday's capture/quote, Barn's crotch wasn't the only crotch of interest in the film:

1972 - Barnabas: 'Well, then, I suppose strictly in the name
of her honor, I must now defile your most intimate and
womanly segments.

But then, both Barn's and Angelique's crotches had heavily implied interest in the original series, so it's only right that they should be majorly featured in this film to make sure the points got across for much of today's audience, who, less face it, isn't necessarily as quick to pick up such things if it's simply implied.  [ghost_nowink]  They need it handed to them directly.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
I somehow missed the phrase "womanly segments" in all my viewings of the movie; that is hiLARious.  Thanks MB and Midnite!   [ghost_smiley]
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
Yes, that's one of the best parts about that line, and I was so happy to see that Midnite had included it in her quotes for this month. And the choice of the word "defile" is so 18th century!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2013, 08:05:53 PM »
Today's image reminds me of a question whose answer I couldn't figure out from my one viewing of the film.

Magtoria's childhood incarceration at Windcliff Sanitarium has zero to do with Julia, right?  The fact that the van says Windcliff is just a nod to fans?

I don't remember any dialogue from the film where Julia or Liz speak of Windcliff, and I'm presuming that in this DS-verse, Julia has no connection with the sanitarium.

Am I right?

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »
In the film there's no connection between Julia and Windcliff that the audience is made aware of.

And while we're on the subject of today's capture/quote, I set the time period at "195?" because we don't really know when Maggie was sent to Windcliff. She looks like she might be between 6 and 8 when she's sent away, and presumably Maggie/Vicki is 20 or so when she arrives at Collinwood, so some point in the '50s seems like the more logical time frame. Plus, sadly, the '50s seems more likely when a child might have been sent away for having an "imaginary" friend.

But getting back to Julia and connections, I seem to recall that we read somewhere along the way that there was suppose to be some connection between Julia and Angelique, but there's no such connection ever alluded to in the film. All these missing pieces, if what was written was indeed true, can't help but make one wonder just what's in all the footage that was never included in the film or shared as deleted scenes on the Blu-ray...