Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--Strange Brew (6/9)  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--Strange Brew (6/9)
« on: June 10, 2003, 05:11:49 PM »
Fashion notes first . . .

It's . . . yellow. That's all I can say except, well,  :P You know, I came across a reference to Joan Bennett in a book on director Mitchell Leisen, with whom she worked several times. He was very positive about her, thought she was quite professional, etc. His one negative experience, however, occurred when in one of his films, she was required to wear a Chanel costume decorated with actual Christmas tree ornaments. Apparently, Miss Bennett had a lot to say about that. Sometimes, I wonder if she ever articulated any, uh, displeasure at some of the outfits she got to wore on DS.

Oh, dear. Jeb is still wearing the peacock blue "fly" suit. The sales clerk clearly saw him coming.

As flattering as dark blue is on Sabrina, the weird side panels of white are very distracting. For one moment, I thought perhaps there was a rip in her skirt and we were seeing her slip.

IMHO, orange belongs on a select number of items: the fruit, pumpkins and various other vegetables, autumn leaves, traffic cones, and the jackets of deer hunters. I am less than enthused by the multiple shadings of the color on Bruno's vest and the less I say about harvest gold, the better.

More with the teal. This time on Maggie. Oy, an uglier dress I do not think I have ever seen. Who was dressing KLS? Who did she piss off? The vertical and the horizontal stripes  :P Where do I even begin? KLS was a twig, and yet this outfit made her look about 3 sizes bigger and the way it made her legs look. Not a pretty sight.

Onto the show . . .

Heh. "Nobody knows my middle name!" Said, btw, with righteous indignation. I guess it must be hard to be a petty criminal when you sport a moniker like "Hollingshead."

Oh, for godsake's. get the house wired for electricity and the telephone already. That way you could deliver your own damn messages.

Okay, I have hitherto always read Eliot as being gay. Not a perjorative comment, that's just how I've always seen the character. In the first episode though, he and Liz had some weird kind of chemistry going on there. Was it just me or did there seem to be a vaguely romantic feel to the whole scene?

Meanwhile, back in anonymous motel set#3, the female half of Love's Young Dream is discovering that married life ain't exactly what it's cracked up to be, particularly when one's spouse is cracked up.

Eliot, Eliot. Barnabas is so over the Jeb problem. He's moved on. Now we're in PT obsession mode. Get with the program, man.

The writers really missed the boat here. If Eliot is the true academic, I think he is, he should not be wondering if his PT self married his high school sweetheart (which frankly, even given the strange vibe between him and Liz, just boggles the mind), he should be wondering if his other PT self has published and gotten tenure, and if the PT self had an easier time of it.

God, Jeb is such a creep (I know I say this all the time, but it warrants repeating). It ain't the little wifey's fault that you went and pissed off a witch who travels with her own construction paper. So much for eternal love  8)

Poor Bruno. His religious visions and hopes of fascist-like domination shattered. I'm feeling his pain. Not. He also seems to be something of a dreamer. I mean, Carolyn may be dim at the moment, but they'll be ice skating in Hell the day she hooks up with you.

"I'm living for Carolyn." Living for Carolyn, my ass.

It seems to be the day for weird chemistry. First Liz and Eliot and then Bruno and Sabrina. I can't explain it, I don't particularly care for either character and they really don't fit together on paper. But on screen together, there's something there. Something weird. Something odd, but something.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re:Idle Thoughts--Strange Brew (6/9)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 01:16:35 AM »

Okay, I have hitherto always read Eliot as being gay. Not a perjorative comment, that's just how I've always seen the character.

Really? I've never perceived him that way. Roger, maybe. Bruno, definitely. But Eliot? Never. :-