Author Topic: ** The Calendar Feature **  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
** The Calendar Feature **
« on: May 12, 2003, 05:29:29 AM »
In conjunction with the launch of the (long delayed) Calendar feature, you'll notice that a new board has been created in the Members' Mausoleum. From now on, please use the Calendar Events / Announcements board to post all your special events, announcements, notices of Web site updates, items for sale, personal messages, and well wishes - basically anything that isn't related to the DS storylines.

Upcoming events of note can also be posted on the calendar itself by using the Calendar button on the main menu. After you've clicked the "post event" link, the feature will first ask you to provide a title and date for your event, and then you'll be able to provide an explanation which will then be posted to the Calendar Events / Announcement board. Additionally, a special notice will appear on the BoardIndex in the new Calendar Today section in the Info Center. However, Calendar Today ONLY appears on days when something is actually listed on the calendar for that day.

Cousins who have already entered their birthdays in their profiles will notice that they automatically show up on the calendar from now through 2010. And shortly I'll be installing the mod that won't require the shy among us to enter the year they were born - only the month and date. ;)

Also, look for additional Calendar features to become available in the coming weeks...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:** The Calendar Feature **
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 08:01:32 PM »
From now on, please use the Calendar Events / Announcements board to post all your special events, announcements, notices of Web site updates, personal messages, and well wishes.

And no cross-posting, PLEASE.  Unlike a Usenet newsgroup, cross-posting on a message board wastes space and doesn't contribute to discussions.  It also creates unnecessary work for the moderators. :(

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 08:28:03 PM »
I'll be installing the mod that won't require the shy among us to enter the year they were born - only the month and date. ;)

I just installed this. Unfortunately, though, the mod only changed the way age is displayed in profiles. Instead of Age: member's age, it will now display Birthday: member's birthdate for those of you who don't enter a year in your profiles. I'm going to have to rewrite the Calendar.php script myself in order for something similar to display on the calendar because without a year nothing will come up for you on your birthdays. :( But starting now anyone who would like to enter their birthdays minus the year can do so. :)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 10:10:58 PM »
Great idea!!!   I already went and added my birthday to the calendar list. 

BUT What the heck happened on FEBRUARY 18TH????    Whew,  after viewing that date I think they should name it a "National day for Birthdays!!"  I've never seen so many people with the same birthday in my life!!

Thanks MB for all the recent updates and improvements to the board.  That's a nice way to keep all the extra things in one place such as birthdays, announcements, etc.   You guys are all doing such a great job!![thumb]

THANKS!!!!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 10:50:49 PM »
BUT What the heck happened on FEBRUARY 18TH????    Whew,  after viewing that date I think they should name it a "National day for Birthdays!!"  I've never seen so many people with the same birthday in my life!!

LOL, that's the date the entire forum was converted to YaBB SE.  Since then, the forum address has taken all visitors to a referring page that says, "You might want to make a few adjustments in your profile," and the huge listing for that day is the result of not following the suggestion. ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 11:13:30 PM »
the huge listing for that day is the result of not following the suggestion. ;)

I'm actually in the process of correcting all that now (I need to fix it before I can work on the Calendar.php script). I've gotten a little more than halfway through the members who haven't gone into their profiles since 2/18, so I'm guessing at least half of those names have already disappeared...

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 03:33:26 AM »

Cousins who have already entered their birthdays in their profiles will notice that they automatically show up on the calendar from now through 2010. And shortly I'll be installing the mod that won't require the shy among us to enter the year they were born - only the month and date. ;)

Also, look for additional Calendar features to become available in the coming weeks...

thank you ;D

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 06:25:05 PM »
Seems as though every time I come back after being away we have more cool stuff.  I just love that about this place - thanks!   [luv]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 09:01:44 PM »
LOL, that's the date the entire forum was converted to YaBB SE.  Since then, the forum address has taken all visitors to a referring page that says, "You might want to make a few adjustments in your profile," and the huge listing for that day is the result of not following the suggestion. ;)

Silly me!!  [nut]  I had realized this later on after I went back over there to view the birthday calendar again and saw a few names there that we've just recently wished a happy birthday to.   I was starting to wonder to myself what happened nine months ago on that date?  Was there a blackout or something? LOL!

This board is getting better and better all the time!!  The three of you are always putting so much or your time and effort into maintaining this forum and I really want to thank you for that.  I still say that this is the best Dark Shadows board on the web!  I use to look for DS groups to join all the time and would search the web for one, but after finding this board over a year ago,  I stopped looking!  [wink2]

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 10:04:43 PM »

This board is getting better and better all the time!!  The three of you are always putting so much or your time and effort into maintaining this forum and I really want to thank you for that.  I still say that this is the best Dark Shadows board on the web!  I use to look for DS groups to join all the time and would search the web for one, but after finding this board over a year ago,  I stopped looking!  [wink2]

Cassandra

ditto couldn't have said it better ;D

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
I Love I Love My Calendar Girl/Guy
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2003, 02:17:42 AM »
Well...our busy, busy, busy MB is at it
[size=8]AGAIN![/size]

Is everyone checking out the calendar?? (see bottom of page)

(I tried...wasn't sure what I was doing...but I hoped I couldn't crash the board ::) ) (sorry MB,,,since I see the host just did something, maybe not so funny).

But...as I clicked on add to members masoleum (it's my anniversary in June), then it took me to like a regular post, but it was....WITHIN 120 SECONDS!! (shame on me!!)

So, I'll try again.

THANKS MB :-*

Patti

annnnddddd......

THANKS MIDNITE AND DOM :) :) :) :)
What a Woman!