Author Topic: Copying of forum messages - PLEASE READ  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Copying of forum messages - PLEASE READ
« on: April 26, 2003, 05:49:32 AM »
From the DS Forums guidelines:

9.  Distributing articles, photos, personal information or opinions that have been posted on this forum without the poster's permission may result in loss of posting privileges. Please don't assume that because a writer has chosen to express his/her opinion on any of these internet forums that they would allow it to appear elsewhere. If a post consists of an article or photo, linking to it from another location is preferable and would be much appreciated.

Agreeing to the above was a condition of registration.

No one may copy a personal statement on this forum for the purpose of posting it elsewhere without first obtaining the writer's permission, preferably in writing.  If you don't get the author's permission before using his/her comment, you seriously jeopardize your forum privileges.

I apologize if anyone was misled by my statement in the 2003 Fest Info thread in which I said that a Festival committee member was interested in reading the comments, but if you reread that message you'll see that each participant in that discussion would receive an IM explaining what would be done with the comments if permission was given, and NO comments, including those quoted, were sent to the Fest address without it. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Copying of forum messages - PLEASE READ
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 02:53:32 PM »
No one may copy a personal statement on this forum for the purpose of posting it elsewhere without first obtaining the writer's permission, preferably in writing.

At one point I was forced to completely disable the ability to copy anything that is posted to this forum for the very reason that certain individuals were completely disregarding guideline #9 as well as their fellow posters' rights to have what they've said on the forum strictly remain on the forum. I would ask a certain individual to please not force me to disable copying again because, not only is it an inconvenience to everyone, but appearances to the contrary at times, I don't enjoy having to resort to being a controlling bastard - especially when it's as a result of the actions of a tiny minority that are, unfortunately, going to affect the vast majority.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 04:56:14 PM »
I know the quoted guideline and both your posts are as clearly stated as can be.....but I'm still not sure about something.

I've just copied part of an IM sent to me from another poster.  I was then going to place that copy in a file I have in WORD that I use for things that amuse and interest me.  I don't send them anywhere else....I just keep them.  This is what I did before the back-up box and what I'm still inclined to do now.

Have I been breaking the guideline by doing this without first getting express permission from the person who sent me the message? Or is it okay because I don't share it with anyone else?

I'm assuming the guideline means both IM's AND Posts.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2003, 05:10:38 PM »
Have I been breaking the guideline by doing this without first getting express permission from the person who sent me the message? Or is it okay because I don't share it with anyone else?

What you're doing is perfectly fine, Rainey, because it's for your own personal use. Our concern is only with people who copy things from the forum and then circulate them on another forum or mailing list without our poster's permission. Contrary to their belief, just because something is posted on the Web doesn't mean that it's Public Domain - particularly when it's posted somewhere that at this point is closed to anyone other than registered members (though that situation will hopefully change sooner rather than later). Copyright law covers the Web just as it does printed media, as these people would learn if they took the time to research the issue....

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2003, 05:16:49 PM »
Sigh of relief.....there's some VERY funny stuff in that folder.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 03:34:46 AM »

What you're doing is perfectly fine, Rainey, because it's for your own personal use. Our concern is only with people who copy things from the forum and then circulate them on another forum or mailing list without our poster's permission. Contrary to their belief, just because something is posted on the Web doesn't mean that it's Public Domain - particularly when it's posted somewhere that at this point is closed to anyone other than registered members (though that situation will hopefully change sooner rather than later). Copyright law covers the Web just as it does printed media, as these people would learn if they took the time to research the issue....

It's not pleasing to hear that this may have been happening on this forum!

Like Raineypark, I copy and paste many comments on particular topics into Word documents for my personal files and reference on Dark Shadows.  I don't understand how anyone could think they would be free to post someone else's comments elsewhere on the Web!

IMO, this argues strongly for keeping this forum closed ... it's easy enough to register, and it seems to keep some trouble out.

Thanks for bringing up the point about copyrighted material.  Sadly, this is a subject not much understood by the general public it seems.

Reading this thread reinforces my gut instinct not to post something like my translation of the Comte de St.-Germain sonnet on a discussion board!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2003, 03:53:49 AM »
Apparently the copying feature has been disabled since I last visited the board.

Something I said?   :(

BTW -- apologizes for the inaccuracies in my previous post, e.g. Raineypark was doing something different from the copying I do ...

Also, I do know, of course, that "creative" writing efforts are not allowed on this site, but I was just using that as an example of how one might want to be very careful about what one posts on the Internet ... it seems to be up for grabs!

-Vlad

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 06:48:23 AM »
I don't understand how anyone could think they would be free to post someone else's comments elsewhere on the Web!

Neither do I, but it does happen, usually by people that just aren't thinking, though you'd be surprised how indignant some individuals can get when approached about it.

IMO, this argues strongly for keeping this forum closed ... it's easy enough to register, and it seems to keep some trouble out.

MB, Dom and I really don't see any reason to keep the forums closed to guest traffic.  Some users prefer to remain a guest despite the benefits that registration brings and we respect their right to do it.  And though attempts to make trouble are rare, problematic situations are handled pretty much the same whether the visitor is a guest or a registered member.

Apparently the copying feature has been disabled since I last visited the board.

Something I said?   :(

Copying isn't disabled.  It's just as it was before.

BTW -- apologizes for the inaccuracies in my previous post, e.g. Raineypark was doing something different from the copying I do ...

Also, I do know, of course, that "creative" writing efforts are not allowed on this site, but I was just using that as an example of how one might want to be very careful about what one posts on the Internet ... it seems to be up for grabs!

I understood what you meant.  :)

Offline Cloak

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 05:55:22 PM »
I don't want to point out the obvious, but

Highlight-Ctl C- Ctl V

Sorry but it looks like unless you block all forms of copying then you'll still have this problem and if people can do that then they will get scared off to another DS forum.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 09:53:58 PM »
I don't want to point out the obvious, but

Highlight-Ctl C- Ctl V

Sorry to do the same, but MB and I stated above that copying isn't disabled.  The point of this topic is to explain that posters have a right to not have what they've posted on the Forums circulated without their permission.

Thanks, Cloak, and welcome!