Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 348825 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #915 on: July 27, 2012, 12:09:45 AM »
So, in answer to my question about the theater count for the coming week, DS will take a big loss of nearly half its theaters, going down from 412 to only 222 theaters.

Box office mojo's theater counts for the coming week:
http://boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2012&wk=30&p=.htm

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: July 27, 2012, 12:54:48 AM »
Though that's still more than most films continue to play in in their 12th week in release. For instance, WB's films Wrath of the Titans played in 105 and The Lucky One played in 72. And then there's their film Joyful Noise which played in 0 because it closed at the end of its 10th week.  [ghost_wink]  To still be in 222 theaters is definitely on the high end when it comes to how many theaters a film is still playing in at this point in its run. Even to still be in theaters at all is an accomplishment in and of itself.  [ghost_smiley]

76 days 19 hours 54 minutes 48 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 27, 2012, 05:08:18 AM »
Out of curiosity I just checked our MaxiSaver again and it will still be there next week for a 5th week.  I rushed to go at the beginning of the 1st week, in case that would be all there was, and now here comes the 4th after that.  By the way, that's been 4 showings a day every day.
Josette

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #918 on: July 27, 2012, 03:18:38 PM »
In Orlando, Dark Shadows continues at our $2 theatre. I was told originally it would play for 2 weeks - it's now going into its 5th week there. As luck had it, it started playing the same weekend of our club meeting in June and a group of about 12 went to see it after the meeting. I may check it out again one last time - would be my 6th viewing - midnight showing, premiere night, drive-in and $2 theatre combined. Interestingly enough, Dark Shadows is now playing with movies that premiered after - or well after Dark Shadows did like Battleship, Snow White and the Huntsman, Rock of Ages and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: July 27, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »
I checked boxoffice.com's listings to see if anything has changed in my area, and it has. DS closed in one of the theaters it had been playing in seemingly for weeks and weeks, it's dropped down to only two showings in the other (at the first and second evening showings), but it's opened in yet another drive-in in the middle of nowhere - and there it's showing at midnight.

77 days 12 hours 55 minutes 26 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #920 on: July 27, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »
Finally, we've got some numbers from Boxoffice.com for DS's box office last week!

Fri, July 20 - $406,134 (wow!)
Sat, July 21 - $548,323 (ditto!)
Sun, July 22 - $255,357
Mon, July 23 - $103,693
Tues, July 24 - $131,444
Wed, July 25 - $116,630
Thur, July 26 - $90,559

for a grand total of $79,063,300!

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=darkshadows.htm

It's currently listed 14th on bom's Thursday box office, though as usual it may not be complete yet:

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?view=1day&sortdate=2012-07-26&p=.htm

But to me, this is a VERY respectable showing for so late in the film's run!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #921 on: July 27, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »
By the way-- too late to edit my post above, but they now have the weekly results, and (so far) DS is in 13th place for last week!  But even if another film or two sneaks in ahead of it, worth noting is that DS made more than The Avengers last week!  ($1,652,140 vs. $1,045,837)  Bet you never thought you'd hear that!  [ghost_smiley]

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekly/chart/?yr=2012&wk=29&p=.htm

David

« Reply #922 on: July 27, 2012, 09:30:10 PM »
these are incredible figures for a film in it's 3rd month!
DS IS NOT A BOMB!
Sequels and a new TV series, please!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 27, 2012, 09:35:44 PM »
WOW - those numbers are beyond even my highest expectations of what DS might have brought in for the week!  [ghost_cool]  Though, of course, the sad thing is that all those Web sites/entertainment columnists that have written DS off are never likely to acknowledge them in any way, shape, or form.  [ghost_sad]  [ghost_angry]

worth noting is that DS made more than The Avengers last week!  ($1,652,140 vs. $1,045,837)  Bet you never thought you'd hear that!  [ghost_smiley]

Can't say as I ever did.  [ghost_wink]  And I don't really have the time to check out things now, but once I do I suspect there are going to be quite a few more surprises in those numbers...

Thanks so much for posting, madscntst!  [ghost_smiley]

77 days 16 hours 35 minutes 44 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #924 on: July 27, 2012, 09:46:48 PM »
I wonder if we'll see another jump in the theater count after the industry sees this?
The film is out of SF again, but still in Bay Area suburbs.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: July 27, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Word of mouth must be very good for this movie. That makes me think it's going to have a very healthy life in home video, especially for those who heard about it, wanted to see it, and didn't have a chance because it was yanked out of the theaters in their area.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 28, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »
Regarding the MSN "review" of the top best and worst films of 2012, listing DS as one of the worst (saying such things as a "film nobody wanted to see" about a soap opera "no one cares about" and "no one remembers" [parapharsing]), it said that it went, parapharasing again, "into theaters and vanished quickly," it's surprising that it keep resurrecting in more and more theaters.  Again, what's this media hatred for DS?  How many theaters keep resurrecting that avengers super-hero stuff?  I know I don't care about super-heroes with sculpted abs and big pecs and hooters.  How utterly stupid.  I haven't seen the latest Batman thing.  I have no intention to.  Who cares about something so utterly stupid?  (Sorry to you Batman fans.)

Gerard

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #927 on: July 28, 2012, 01:13:48 AM »
I actually loved the first 2 Batman films (haven't seen the new one)   [ghost_smiley]  I hope we can still be friends, lol  (Just kidding- I know we can!  [ghost_wink] )   But it does sting, doesn't it, when they say "nobody cares", when obviously, many of us do!  Speak for yourself, MSN, and let us care if we want to!  [ghost_tongue]

David

« Reply #928 on: July 28, 2012, 02:30:22 AM »
When I was in the 8th grade--1969--I was called a "*****" not because I was effeminate (I wasn't) but because I watched DS.
30 years later the same damn thing happened at a general horror con I attended. I was trashed and laughed at by classic horror fans "because he's into Dark Shadows, ha ha ha!"

I'm really tired of this shit. I'm going to ask Mr Editor at Fangoria (who's a DS fan himself) to let me address all this unwarranted DS hate in an op-ed.
Can someone link the MSN piece so I can read it and address it in Fangoria?

thanks.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 28, 2012, 02:38:34 PM »
It took me awhile, David, but I found it:

http://movies.msn.com/2012-best-worst-so-far/photo-gallery/feature/

When I grew up, watching DS, the reaction in my neighborhood was the direct opposite.  Everyone who was anyone watched it and talked about it (and even played it).  We ran home from school, sometimes gathering in each other's houses to watch it together.  If someone wasn't a watcher, he or she was looked down upon as "not groovy."  As I mentioned before, when HoDS hit the screen, at the Saturday matinee I attended the line of kids went out the theater, down the street and around the corner.  DS merchandise was a BIG thing.  I had some of the comic books and Ross novels, and if owned the board game you were the king or queen of the world.

Gerard