Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 348663 times)

David

Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #900 on: July 23, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »
 [ghost_sad]

no extras?
commentary, deleted scenes?

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: July 23, 2012, 07:46:04 PM »
I mean, the Blue-Ray COVER.  Sorry.  [ghost_wink]
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

David

« Reply #902 on: July 23, 2012, 10:31:50 PM »
the studio should have said what the extras will be, but they haven't.

Weekend grosses now posted at Box Office Mojo and Box Office.com--nothing for Depp Shadows, which should have a nice gross to go along with the big jump in the theater count.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 24, 2012, 01:37:03 AM »
in my office we have MSN.com set as our homepage.

today they had a wrap up of the "best and worse of film 2012"...

guess where DS ended up? [ghost_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 24, 2012, 01:56:45 AM »
I read that, too, Michael, and it was downright nasty.  It said it was a movie "nobody wanted to see" based upon a TV show "no one remembers" or "cares about" or whatever.  Well, for a movie that just might make $135 million dollars, that speaks differently.  The article also listed all sorts of "best" films that I never heard of.  It sounds to me like they guy is one of those artsy-fartsy "critics" (even though he like that avenger movie, and I simply don't care about a bunch of ludicrous comic book "heroes" that I don't remember, know about or want to see) that needed some whipping boy.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 24, 2012, 02:37:13 AM »
Interesting.  there's definitely a number of people in the "industry," critics obviously among them, who are going after Burton, hatchet firmly in hand.  I don't know about Depp because I don't really follow the media coverage on him.

I gather there's been nary a whisper of releasing the '04 WB pilot as an extra for the feature film release.

G.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #906 on: July 24, 2012, 03:35:25 AM »
I agree that there is a lot of hatred toward Burton these days.  It was once hip to like him but now he's not so cool anymore.  I wonder if Frankenweenie will do anything to change that, because some might be fond of the original and consider this a return to form. 

Critics/entertainment media are mixed about Johnny at the moment.  They are tired of the Pirates/Burton type films (and sadly, DS falls under that umbrella and I think that at least some critics were never even gonna give it a chance).  And yet, they didn't get behind his "normal" roles like The Rum Diary or The Tourist, either.  But on the bright side, everyone loved him in Rango and in his 21 Jump Street cameo, and regardless of how they rated Pirates 4 and Alice in Wonderland, both those films were undeniable moneymakers.  He just signed up for a Wes Anderson (The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore, Moonrise Kingdom) film, and all the articles say how great it is because Anderson is very "in" now (how Burton used to be once upon a time  [ghost_wink] ) and they think Anderson can get Johnny's career back on track  [ghost_rolleyes] 

Gosh, how I would've loved the '04 pilot as an extra somewhere, because I have never seen it.  Oh well. 

Still no DS numbers for the weekend; I wonder if they've stopped tracking it.  If they hadn't added all those theaters this week, I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but now it's a little weird not to have the numbers. 

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 24, 2012, 04:15:18 AM »
thankyou Madscientist for the information. Its truly amazing what that article said about a show no one cares about. Too much hatred around. That is terrible. But thank you very much one again.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 24, 2012, 04:33:58 AM »
Still no DS numbers for the weekend; I wonder if they've stopped tracking it.  If they hadn't added all those theaters this week, I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but now it's a little weird not to have the numbers.

What is very odd is that, as I've said, this year Warner Brothers has been tracking/reporting all of their films well beyond 10 weeks in theaters (for instance, Wrath of the Titans and The Lucky One spent 13 weeks in theaters - and Journey 2: The Mysterious Island spent 20 weeks - and every single day's box office for each one of those films was tracked/reported) - but this week Warner Brothers has reported every one of their films still in release except for DS (they even reported To The Arcrtic, which is in its 14th week of release in only 52 theaters and likely brought in less this past weekend than what DS brought in). Who knows why that is? Though perhaps DS will show up eventually as it did for the week containing the July 4th holiday. But if it doesn't, it will actually be more than very odd given how Warner Brothers has been handling and continues to handle every one of their other films this year.  [ghost_huh]

73 days 23 hours 33 minutes 58 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 25, 2012, 12:42:23 AM »
Here's a quote from UK's The Sun.
"Following the film’s huge success, Sophie — who is also the face of fashion brand Burberry and has appeared on the cover of Vogue magazine — has been invited for talks with studio executives for a string of other big budget movies in Los Angeles."
http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/scotlandfeatures/4446378/Sophie-Kennedy-Clark-I-got-bitten-by-Johnny-Depp-now-Ill-get-my-teeth-into-Hollywood.html

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: July 25, 2012, 01:30:44 AM »
But what was The Scottish Sun thinking referring to the film as a "blockbuster" and calling it "a huge success"? Didn't they get the memo that it's only supposed to be referred to as a "flop" or a "dud" or a "bomb"?!  [ghost_rolleyes]  Shame on them. That sort of slip could cost them their press credentials!  [ghost_wink]

But seriously, thanks so much for the link, The Doctor and K9.  [ghost_smiley]  The article was very nice.

74 days 20 hours 30 minutes 44 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #911 on: July 25, 2012, 04:38:15 AM »
 [ghost_grin]
Nothing says flop more than adding 150 theaters ten weeks into a film's run.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 25, 2012, 06:34:39 AM »
Went back to see the film again tonight and was quite surprised to see that the theatre was 80% full. This was quite remarkable for a Tuesday night, though the $2.00 admission was certainly a factor.

Aside from one older guy who walked out during the Angelique/Barnabas sex scene, the audience seemed to really enjoy the movie. Jokes that went out over dead air at other screenings were quite well received.  I was glad that I was familiar with the movie already because the laughter drowned out some of the dialogue.

There is definitely an audience for this movie. It just took them a while to find it. There was an equally large crowd waiting for the second showing.

A couple of random observations......During the final scene, Vicki reminded me of Wednesday Addams.....Does Angelique have a heart of glass? Cue the Blondie music!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #913 on: July 26, 2012, 08:51:42 PM »
Uncle Roger, glad to hear that the film has been popular in your area.  I think it's a little odd that someone walked out during the Ang/Barn sex scene, which was really pretty tame IMHO and played more for laughs.  When the film first came out, I thought more folks seemed offended by the Julia/Barn scene (though I guess I have no morals because I wasn't offended by either one of them! :) )

Well, we've gotten through most of the week without knowing anything about the box office.  Withdrawal!  I do hope that they will update it tomorrow for the weekly earnings.  It'll also be interesting to see what happens to the theater count- that should be posted a little later today.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: July 26, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
My theater experiences have had several walk outs as well.  Mine happened after the B/A scene, right before the party, and after another point I can't remember.  I think it's just the fact that there is so much of it.  It's like 3 weeks of modern soap ''action'' crammed into 1.5 hours.  It's a little overkill, and I could do without most of it, especially the B/Julia scene.  If it were only the B/A scene, I think I'd like the film a lot more.  But Angie is always trying to get Barnabas in bed and it becomes a little excessive, especially in comparison to how tame the original is.  So that's my theory.