Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350392 times)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #855 on: July 15, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »
bootlegs are usually taped off the movie screen so quality varies and unless the theatre was empty, you can hear the audience laugh or even see them get up and leave. its better to wait til its released legally.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 15, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
Thanks for posting the numbers from Friday, madscntst. Actually, I should give you a special thank you because I was unexpectedly away from my computer for most of Friday and Saturday, so I was especially grateful to come home and to find that you'd posted the numbers.  [ghost_smiley]

I haven't had the chance to look at things too closely yet, but one thing that's definitely interesting is that even though Wrath of the Titans' 9th week's Monday-Thursday period had included Memorial Day and it had taken in more than $20,000 on that day than DS had this past Monday, in its 9th week's Monday-Thursday period DS still managed to bring in more than $42,000 more than what Wrath of the Titans had.  [ghost_cool]  And in a head-to-head comparison of their 9th weeks in release, in total DS managed to bring in $114,915 more than what Wrath of the Titans had.  [ghost_smiley]

I imagine there will be a noticeable drop in the coming week, due to the drop in theaters.

For what it's worth, for its 9th week in release Wrath of the Titans made $370,376, and then when it dropped down to 205 theaters in its 10th week, it brought in $240,925. By comparison, DS brought in $485,291 in its 9th week in release. So, it's certainly going to be interesting to see if in its 10th week in release DS can continue to outperform Wrath of the Titans[ghost_wink]  The first test will be the weekend, and in its 10th weekend Wrath of the Titans brought in $156,016.

65 days 16 hours 32 minutes 1 second since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 15, 2012, 10:55:09 PM »
I got a bootleg about a week after it opened.  I live near the Mexican border.  I will also add that a student gavevit to me knowing I am a fan.  The quality is good, for a boot, with very clear audio and decent picture.  I have been to the theater 10 times to see it, so Burton and Depp have no cause for complaint.  This number of viewings was inflated by the tedium of summer vacation in HOT HOT South Texas.  I was not needed for summer school and had a great deal of free time. That is by far the most times I have ever seen a film in a theater. 

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #858 on: July 16, 2012, 01:44:30 AM »
Wow, 10 times, that is impressive!!  I think the most times I've ever seen a film in theaters was about 6 or 7 for Sweeney Todd, but that included a free advance screening.  I got to DS 3 times, and hoped to have gotten there at least one more time, but I didn't make it and don't think I'll get any more chances as it's left my area now. 

Even though I don't usually get film boots, I'm glad to hear that this one was pretty good.  Try to keep cool, doctor-- I think we've gotten some of your weather here in DC in recent weeks  [ghost_wink]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 16, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »
Try to keep cool, doctor-- I think we've gotten some of your weather here in DC in recent weeks  [ghost_wink]

Actually I've been in Newport, RI since late June!  We return to the sauna weather on August 1st.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #860 on: July 16, 2012, 10:09:19 PM »
DS's weekend numbers are in.  As expected, its placing has dropped due to the drop in theaters- from Box Office Mojo, it looks to be in 27th place for the weekend (even below Battleship!  [ghost_shocked] ).  Its total for the weekend was $226,926, coming from:

Friday: $67,603
Sat.: $90,374
Sun.: $68,949 (interestingly, this is very close to the box office from 6/24, 3 Sunday's ago, which was $69,768.  The Fri. and Sat. are much lower than that weekend, though).

The domestic total is now $77,268,188, bringing the worldwide to $234,068,188.  I haven't seen a change in the overseas number in the past week- it's still at $156,800,000.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 17, 2012, 12:58:22 AM »
Though DS' total for the weekend is almost $71,000 more than Wrath of the Titans brought in for its 10th weekend - and only slightly less than the amount it bested Wrath of the Titans by last weekend - so DS is continuing to best it by significant amounts.  [ghost_cool]

Plus, DS' per screen averages for all three days of this past weekend are higher than what they were for the June 22-24 weekend.  [ghost_cool]

And thanks for posting the numbers, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]

66 days 20 hours 58 minutes 22 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #862 on: July 17, 2012, 08:53:49 PM »
DS made $34,165 on Monday, which actually seems pretty respectable considering its small number of theaters.  It has (thankfully) gotten back above Battleship, after sinking below it (pardon the pun  [ghost_wink] ) over this past weekend.  Interestingly, DS made almost the same amount 3 Mondays ago, June 25th, when it made $34,538.  Its domestic total is now $77,302,353

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/daily/2012-07-17

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 17, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »
Thanks for posting the numbers, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]  And yes, it's quite respectable because if it wasn't for The Cabin In The Woods adding theaters (to go from 113 to 224), DS would have still retained its place as the top grossing film in its range of theaters - but The Cabin In The Woods made slightly more by bringing in $35,499 on its 67th day. (Though with adding so many new theaters, a gross like that for The Cabin In The Woods wasn't in and of itself all that impressive. And even less impressive is that it was that film's highest gross for its Monday-Thursday period, so that means that strangely it fell off on Tuesday when most films tend to gross more.  [ghost_blink])

However, as for a comparison to Wrath of the Titans, DS brought in over $13,000 more than that film had in its 67th day.

And it's looking like we're going to have to wait a bit longer to find out how DS ranked on Monday because Box Office Mojo hasn't posted their chart yet.

67 days 16 hours 50 minutes 8 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 18, 2012, 12:21:01 AM »
A bit of old news first: it looks like DS placed 28th for the entire weekend as Box Office Mojo added the foreign film Bol Bachchan to their weekend chart. It managed to best DS by only $1,826 - but even if it was only by $1, it would have still come in 27th and pushed DS to 28th. Though what I do find interesting is that on Friday DS ranked 25th, on Saturday it ranked 27th, and on Sunday it ranked 24th - yet somehow after all three days were tallied for all the films it came in 28th for the overall weekend.  [ghost_undecided]

But anyway, the current news is the rankings for Monday, and DS has definitely regained some ground because it seems like DS ranked 23rd or 24th (Bol Bachchan is missing from both Box Office Mojo and boxoffice.com, so at this point we have no way of knowing if it brought in more than DS or not).

67 days 19 hours 21 minutes 1 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 18, 2012, 02:35:53 AM »
I just saw where The Ellen Degeneres Show with Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Chloe Moretz is being aired again tomorrow. Check your local listings for the time.

67 days 21 hours 35 minutes 53 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #866 on: July 18, 2012, 04:46:29 AM »
viewing the film tomorrow at 7pm at the Castro Theater here in SF.
5th time.
projected on FILM, not digital.
in an old fashioned movie palace,
YOWSA!!! [ghost_smiley]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #867 on: July 18, 2012, 08:03:10 PM »
Woo-hoo, enjoy, David-Elijah!   [ghost_cool]

Boxoffice.com has DS's Tuesday numbers, though they don't have a chart up yet for the day (and neither does box office mojo).  DS made $38,289, which is up from Monday and actually more than it made 3 Tuesdays ago  [ghost_smiley]  The total is now $77,340,642.

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/movies/dark-shadows-2012

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 19, 2012, 07:05:58 AM »
I caught a bit of the Ellen interview today, but I had to turn it off when they brought up "bad acting" again.  Why was this such a focal point of the movie's direction?  Yes, there was bad acting on DS, but it wasn't all that often. 

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 19, 2012, 08:15:28 AM »
I just checked the listings for our MaxiSaver ($1 all tickets) theater.  I made sure to get there the first day, since I didn't know how long they would have it, but it is completing the 3rd week now and I see it's still listed for all of next week, its 4th.
Josette