Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350315 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #825 on: July 08, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »
Thanks for the news on the DVD/Blu-ray release, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]  Hopefully we'll get more details sooner rather than later.

As for the piece on EW's Web site, well, where to begin because so many holes can be poked into what's written - and I'm not just referring to what's written about DS. And actually, it's interesting that the writer should quote something from Owen Gleiberman because in the past Mr. Gleiberman has been quite vocal with his criticism over how box office analysts will all too often pick and chose the figures that will support their often biased points of view while ignoring the ones that don't. And, of course, the industry itself makes that very easy to do because they're oh so secretive about film budgets - so much so that analysts themselves have to make up their own figures or go with figures already made up by others - and the variations in the amounts can be so divergent as to be ridiculous. I mean, just look at DS. As we've said, places like the Hollywood Reporter say DS' budget was $100 million, while places like boxoffice.com say $175 million. And then there are the ones in between like Box Office Mojo that say $150 million or Variety that say $125 million. And each one of these places is just as self-assured as the others that they have the correct budget figure. But quite obviously it's impossible for them all to be correct. And considering how much the success of a film hinges on its budget vs. its box office, who's to know which analysts are getting it right and which are way off?

A perfect non-DS example to illustrate that last point is Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Now, that film has so far made $134.5 million worldwide, and the EW writer is saying that anyone who says it was a success is just wrong. And if one goes with the budget figured of $105 million that been tossed about by some sites it would be a nobrainer that it wasn't successful. However, what about the budget figure of $57 million that I've seen on many more sites? The situation looks a lot more rosy with that figure, no? And who's to say which one of those budget figures is the correct one? But if you're an analyst who's already biased for or against the film, I wonder which one you're going to pick?  [ghost_wink]  (And it's also interesting that a lot of places are proclaiming that Magic Mike is shaping up as a huge success because it supposedly cost only $7 million. However, in recent days I've come across other places that are saying not so fast because the film really cost $30 million. Who's right? Who knows?)

As for DS, its success can also be just as subjective depending on what budget figure one wants to go with. If it really did cost $100 million, then it's been quite successful - but if it cost $175 million, well, it hasn't exactly been successful. Though I have a feeling that neither of those budget figures are correct and the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the two. But who really knows? And WB probably isn't ever going to reveal the actual figure, so it will more than likely always be up for speculation, which is why analysts will probably be able to have a field day with the film for years to come. Though the bottom line is that even if DS doesn't meet the success standards of Depp and Burton's other films and is therefore a box office disappointment, it's most certainly not a flop, and it most certainly should not be lumped in with films like John Carter and Battleship, both of which cost much more than DS (even if one goes with their lowest budget estimates) and have brought in comparatively less than DS. In fact, DS shouldn't even be lumped in with a film like What To Expect When You're Expecting because even when one factors in its foreign gross, the worldwide total for What To Expect When You're Expecting is barely more than it supposedly cost to make. But, of course, you can't tell any of that to the EW writer because obviously he's already made up his mind that DS does indeed belong there. (Though once again it's so very interesting that Wrath of the Titans wasn't lumped in.)

And finally, one thing I might also take exception to is Dread Central's often repeated inferences that word of mouth for DS hasn't helped it. Well, it may not have helped it to become huge - but just what do they think has been helping DS to perform so well for so long during weekdays? Oh, wait - Dread Central probably doesn't even realize that DS has been performing so well for so long during weekdays because I'm betting they haven't paid attention to its box office beyond its first few weeks because, well, that seems to be the case with most of these sites - and by now we all know what film of Depp's is the perfect illustration of that.  [ghost_wink]

What's actually unfortunate is that the average person probably has no idea that much of what they're reading in these type of articles is based on cherry picking through guestimation and speculation, and that's even the case when the picking may not be all that biased.

58 days 12 hours 26 minutes 30 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #826 on: July 08, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
Budgets and expectations are unrealistic and out of control for most films.

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 09, 2012, 12:02:51 AM »
It is also wise to keep in mind that EW and other entertainment mags are often no more than extensions of studio PR departments, and therefore industry promotional organs themselves.  They are not meant to be journalistic, nor do they need to reflect accurate information.  They are spin machines.  It may be useful to note that casting "borderline" profit margin films in a negative light (inflated budget speculation versus lower than expected grosses), both in the press and the studio books, can actually make the studios millions in tax breaks (purported losses).  The same breaks hold true in overall low profit figures, which can be and are fudged in many a corporate books (see GE paying zero dollars in taxes recently).  By the time the speculation ends, and hell freezes over, you can bet any and all figures produced by any and all studios will favor the studios as much is possible, and possibly beyond that which is plausible!  [ghost_rolleyes]

Petofi

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 09, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »
Thank you MB for your analysis and thoughts. I hold EW to a higher standard in journalism and I must say I am deeply disappointed its unfounded conclusion that the movie is not being considered a successful film. It is obvious it did not do its homework and due diligence. Defending this movie's performance will be an obvious uphill battle.

Petofi I always expected EW to be more than a spin machine. But thank you for pointing out its bias/limitations.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 09, 2012, 01:27:16 AM »
It's good to see DS crossing the $233 Million dollar worldwide mark as of today. (estimated) http://www.rentrak.com/section/corporate/press_room/weekly_top_10_charts.html

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 09, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
Who knows what the hell took Warner Brothers so long to report the numbers for the past three days?

Probably July 4th hangover.

Great news about the DVD release date!

Hopefully we'll see HOUSE and NIGHT around the same time. I think I've heard early 2013 mentioned, but I can't figure why such a late release. Releasing them in conjunction with the theatrical release or the DVD release of DS12 seems to make sense. I wonder why the wait?

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 09, 2012, 07:59:08 AM »
Just noticed this on Blu-ray.com's page:

Aspect ratio: 1.78:1
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

So, the DVD/Blu release will be cropped on the sides, if I understand correctly?

I hope not. Seems awfully early for them to know anything so specific.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 09, 2012, 05:06:45 PM »
Thanks, jimbo, for posting a link to the latest foreign figures.  [ghost_smiley]

And I wouldn't necessarily read too much into what's listed on the Blu-ray site right now because as Dread Central pointed out there aren't really any disc specs yet. What's listed may simply be filler until the actual specs are released. Plus, the French version of the Blu-ray, which is the only one where specs have been listed, will be 1.85:1. But I suppose we'll see.

And one thing to remember about EW's Web site is that, while a few of the magzine's writers do take part on it, a lot of what goes on there is separate from the magazine. In fact, I've seen the magazine take the Web site to task for things that have been written there. And it's also probably worth noting that a few weeks back the magazine did a piece on the failures of a lot of films this year and how that's impacting future films, and for what it's worth DS was not cited as one of the failures.

59 days 12 hours 6 minutes 45 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 09, 2012, 09:20:48 PM »
The actuals have been posted for quite some time on boxoffice.com, but for some odd reason they don't include any WB films. However, Box Office Mojo just put their version of the actuals up and WB films are all included. Who knows what's going on with WB? But let's just be thankful that at least one of the two sites we rely on has the WB numbers.

But anyway, in its 9th weekend and playing in 303 theaters DS brought in $304,908 (which is over $70,000 more than Wrath of the Titans grossed in its 9th weekend - and it's also over $40,000 more than DS grossed back in its 7th weekend when it was playing in 302 theaters [ghost_wink]), which brings its current domestic gross to $76,860,879. But it's looking like a breakdown of the weekend will have to wait because even Box Office Mojo doesn't seem to have all the numbers in yet...

59 days 16 hours 20 minutes 48 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #834 on: July 09, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »
That's a decent figure for a film that's been out for so long!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #835 on: July 09, 2012, 09:25:34 PM »
Hi MB, I just came over here to report the numbers from BOM, and saw your post just before I was going to post.  So, apologies if we crosspost again!  Anyway, here are DS's weekend numbers.  The placings may change because perhaps all the numbers aren't in yet- the placings aren't listed by number after #16 on any of the 3 days:

Friday: $97,852 (22nd place)
Sat: $119,366 (23rd place- looks like The Intouchables snuck in over DS on this day)
Sun: $87,690 (22nd place)

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-07-08&p=.htm

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 10, 2012, 12:22:26 AM »
Thanks for posting all that, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]  And it looks like you've got things right.   [ghost_wink]  For some odd reason certain films are missing on Box Office Mojo's chart - but they are listed on boxoffice.com and they all brought in less than DS did on the three days.

And speaking of missing films, who knows what's up with that? It's something that only started happening recently. And it's not just that some films are missing on Box Office Mojo but they're posted on boxoffice.com because the opposite is also happening.  [ghost_undecided]

59 days 19 hours 22 minutes 26 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #837 on: July 10, 2012, 08:14:22 PM »
So I guess they're back to tracking DS daily, at least for now.  Boxoffice.com is reporting the Monday numbers:  $40,681, bringing the domestic total to $76,901,560.  That is down from last Monday but up from the Monday before.  Hopefully it will reach $77M before the end of the week, when who knows how many theaters it'll be in next week.  I'd love to see the film reach $80M but I think it'll be hard to attain at this rate.

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/daily/2012-07-10?force_kind=true

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 10, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »
Thanks for posting the numbers, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]

I only have a few things to add:

It looks like DS ranked 22nd on Monday because I'm not seeing any films missing or any that made more than DS that aren't listed at Box Office Mojo - and it's really quite interesting how DS has been consistently placing in the 21st through 24th range for so long. Not that we're about to complain.  [ghost_wink]

Also, by bringing in $40,681, DS follows in its own footsteps of last week by this week setting another milestone for this year because that amount was the highest brought in by any film this year in its 60th day, playing in the same theaters range, and when the 60th day didn't fall on a Monday holiday (for instance, Wrath of the Titans brought in over $20,000 more on its 60th day - but its 60th day fell on Memorial Day, so you have to take that into account).  [ghost_cool]

So I guess they're back to tracking DS daily, at least for now.

Something about July 4th falling on a Wednesday must have done some sort of number on WB's tracking system because, as I said, those three days last week were the only days this year where there was any sort of delay from WB in tracking/reporting the numbers for all of their current films in theaters.

60 days 16 hours 34 minutes 8 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 11, 2012, 12:47:20 AM »
That's a decent figure for a film that's been out for so long!

Of course you know that a comment like that got me curious enough to check - and that figure is actually quite impressive for this year so far. When it comes to sizing up all of this year's films, regardless of how many theaters they were playing in, DS places 9th for the highest gross so far this year in a film's 9th weekend in release. But when you narrow it down to the same range of theaters that DS was playing in this weekend, DS actually comes out 1st - and the closest other film to it is This Means War, which brought in $246,065 in 283 theaters. But then, very few films are still playing in that sort of range of theaters in their 9th weekend - most are already playing in 100-200 less. So the fact that DS is even still playing in 303 theaters is in and of itself an accomplishment.

60 days 19 hours 47 minutes 20 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!