Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350630 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #795 on: July 04, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »
Depp Shadows just opened here at the $2.00 theater, 4 showings.
May you die before you want too.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 04, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »
It's interesting to note that Moonrise Kingdom was filmed in Newport, RI.  We are in Newport now and plan to see it at the historic Jane Pickens Theater.   As a teen I almost convinced the owner to show HODS.  He thought it had been filmed in Newport. I did not lie but also did not correct him.  The print was not available when he needed it and that was that.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 04, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »
i was at best buy yesterday and alot of movies released right around the same time as DS are already out on DVD...

should we expect a release anytime soon?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #798 on: July 04, 2012, 02:35:57 PM »

should we expect a release anytime soon?

In my travels I think I heard a late Sept. date (25th, maybe? Releases are usually on Tuesdays) and an early Oct. date (2nd or 9th, maybe?), though I don't know how credible either of those claims were.  Anytime near now does seem too soon, as it's still in theaters, so Sept.-Oct. does seem likely.  I'm "signed up to be notified" when DS is available for pre-order on Amazon, so I'll report back if I hear from them, though by that time there will probably have been a news report of the DVD release.  We'll see!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 04, 2012, 03:37:23 PM »
Do they still do pay per view first? 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 04, 2012, 11:49:16 PM »
Sometimes pay per view/on demand comes first and sometimes it comes at the same time as the DVD/Blu-ray release. I guess it probably depends on the studio - though truthfully I'm never really paid attention to which studios handle it which way because I've never taken advantage.

And I guess because today's a holiday both Tuesday's and today's box office numbers won't come out until tomorrow because no one seems to have posted Tuesday's numbers today.

54 days 18 hours 49 minutes 16 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 05, 2012, 02:55:26 AM »
Even though I pretty much knew the box office numbers for Tuesday weren't going to be there, I just checked again for them - and, of course, they weren't there. But something I did discover that I hadn't noticed earlier on DS' page at boxoffice.com was that one of the theaters where DS had been playing in my area earlier in the week, the lone holdout first run theater dating back to when DS had first opened, was missing from the the list of theaters currently playing DS. It didn't even dawn on me that with The Amazing Spider-Man opening on Tuesday, DS could have lost some theaters to it. But apparently it has because I checked the theater count chart on Box Office Mojo, and as of July 3rd DS has been playing in 303 theaters, 62 lessthan earlier in the week, and presumably they went to The Amazing Spider-Man, and presumably chances are they were all first runs dating back to DS' original opening. And if that is the case, then it may not be all that bad of a thing because chances are most if not all of those theaters weren't showing DS four times a day (as you may recall the one around here had been showing it twice a day for a few weeks now), so losing them may not have all that much of an effect on Tuesday's, Wednesday's and Thursday's box office numbers. But I suppose we won't really know that for sure until we see the numbers.

54 days 21 hours 55 minutes 26 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 05, 2012, 06:02:50 PM »
Nothing for DS yet, but box office numbers are trickling in at boxoffice.com for both Tuesday and Wednesday, and some surprising things are developing. One thing interesting so far is that the vast majority of the films that have reported for Tuesday are actually down from Monday rather than up, which is usually the case. And a very interesting thing for Wednesday is that even though very few films have reported so far, the ones that have are down from their Tuesday numbers - and while that would be expected for a normal Wednesday, it's not what one would expect for a holiday.

Now it's going to be beyond extremely interesting to see the numbers for DS for Tuesday and Wednesday.

55 days 13 hours 2 minutes 50 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #803 on: July 05, 2012, 06:22:33 PM »
I can't explain yesterday's numbers being lower, but regarding Tuesday's, I think I saw somewhere that Spiderman, which opened Tuesday, had the biggest Tues. box office ever.  That is bound to have taken away from most of the other films. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 05, 2012, 07:07:13 PM »
Yes, $35 million was huge for a Tuesday. HUGE! But somehow I wasn't expecting it to effect so many other films because I wouldn't have thought that The Amazing Spider-Man would necessarily appeal to same sort of audience as a lot of the films that dropped on Tuesday appeal to. Though maybe there really was a wider crossover.  But at any rate, we'll get a better picture once all the reporting films are in for Tuesday.  [ghost_smiley]

Though when it comes to Wednesday, the biggest surprise to me was that even The Amazing Spider-Man dropped - it fell 35%.  [ghost_huh]  And what really makes it so surprising is that one would think more and not less people would have gone to see it on a holiday. But apparently not. Though maybe the Wednesday box office doldrums phenomenon is really far more reaching than even a Wednesday holiday care cure.  [ghost_wink]

55 days 14 hours 7 minutes 13 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #805 on: July 05, 2012, 07:18:08 PM »
That's a big drop for Spiderman.  But it's not that uncommon for a blockbuster-type franchise film to drop its second day, simply because there is so much anticipation that a lot of the die-hard fans simply MUST see it on opening day.  Film buffs call this being "front-loaded".  But as you say, MB, it is kind of weird that it would make more on a Tuesday than on a holiday, especially in areas like mine where it's so darn hot out that one might think folks would be tempted to go see a movie in a nice air-conditioned theater to cool off  [ghost_wink]  But it's kind of weird for a film to open on a Tuesday, and also weird for there to be a major holiday on a Wed., and therefore the whole week will be weird for the box office.  I guess they were banking on a lot of folks having much of this whole week off (and certainly, a lot of high school and even college-age folks are off now, and this is the kind of film that will appeal to them no matter what day of the week it is!)  And also people might be more inclined to go see a film on a Tuesday night if they have Wed. off from work, whereas at least some people may have had bbq/fireworks plans on Wed. night.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 05, 2012, 07:37:01 PM »
I just saw where even a fairly rational Web site like boxoffice.com is surprised by The Amazing Spider-Man's drop on Wednesday - and though they don't quite understand it either, their theory is that perhaps somehow the Wednesday doldrums trumped even the holiday. (Who knows what it is about Wednesdays that so affects the box office of so many films seemingly every week?!) But what's quite interesting is that they're also theorizing that the apparent slump on Wednesday, even though it was a holiday, could bring about a stronger Thursday than usual - though they're not quite explaining how they think that's going to come about.  [ghost_nowink]  But I suppose we'll see...

And getting more closely to being on topic, I see where DS continues to do well in Mexico. Last weekend it brought in $1,367,227 to hold onto 2nd place - and it even manged to best Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, which only brought in $933,796 - and it did so in slightly more than 300 fewer theaters.  [ghost_cool]

55 days 14 hours 37 minutes 1 second since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 05, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »
Box Office Mojo has apparently made a liar out of me because it looks like that today they've posted their charts without having all the numbers in. But then, maybe it's just that they've gotten sick of waiting for them.

But at any rate, nothing is in yet for DS.  [ghost_sad]

And on another front boxoffice.com might want to rethink their initial theory for Wednesday because very few films were down from Tuesday. In fact, many of them were up quite significantly, which is what would have normally been expected for a holiday. Even Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was up, which is saying something considering how badly that film is performing. And while its significant drop might not be a bad thing for The Amazing Spider-Man given its huge haul on Tuesday, films like Magic Mike might start to worry. But then, we're not about to be the ones complaining if that film doesn't best DS when it eventually comes to their final domestic grosses.  [ghost_wink]

55 days 16 hours 0 minutes 16 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 06, 2012, 01:04:19 PM »
They still haven't posted the DS numbers.

http://www.bluraysteelbooks.com/2012/07/dark-shadows-blu-ray-steelbook-announced-for-release-in-france/

This Blu-ray DVD is being released in France on October 10 but I don't see too many details.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 06, 2012, 04:25:48 PM »
I have a feeling we may not get the DS numbers for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday until the weekly numbers come out on Box Office Mojo later this afternoon.

And as far as the the French Blu-ray release goes, if you go to Amazon's French site, you learn that it includes the Blu-ray, the DVD, a digital copy, and the original soundtrack. It's also two discs - but perhaps the second disc is simply the soundtrack on CD. And since this is the second country to indicate that the DVD/Blu-ray release is in October, I'd suspect that's probably going to be the case in most countries.

Thanks for the link, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]

56 days 11 hours 25 minutes 48 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!