Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350768 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #705 on: June 22, 2012, 01:23:34 AM »
I guess if DS had been rated R its box office performance would have been much less. I guess then WB and
 T-P-T-B made the right move.

fyi Seller on ebay has 25 official production stills from the movie. We have seen the images before just not as shown. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Shadows-JOHNNY-DEPP-Rare-25-B-W-press-Photos-Chloe-Grace-Moretz-TIM-BURTON-/320931093334?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab8fbdb56

David

« Reply #706 on: June 22, 2012, 08:59:51 AM »
as of today, down to one Bay Area theater, two shows a day.
it's winding down.

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 22, 2012, 10:31:04 AM »
Great collection of stills, Jimbo! Thank you so much for sharing.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 22, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »
Uncle Roger they certainly do look great. I think the price is a bit too high at least for me.

I didn't expect to see the DS movie being called a flop and bomb in the same article. The Tourist didn't bomb so I guess this writer's credibility could be at question. WB seems to be hesitant greenlighting the next Depp WB project. http://moviehole.net/201254985have-dark-shadows-and-empty-pockets-delayed-depps-the-thin-man

And a related atricle states that WB isn't happy with DS' performance. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Johnny-Depp-Thin-Man-Remake-Might-Having-Brakes-Put-31529.html

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 22, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »
I agree that those stills on Ebay seem to be way overpriced - particularly when excellent, high-resolution, color versions of them would all seem to be available on the Internet for free. Simply having copies with the DS and/or WB logos on them isn't worth it.

And actually, when it comes to those articles, a lot more than credibility might be at question, particularly with that second article because what I see is one entertainment Web site jumping to conclusions based on what one other entertainment Web site wrote. The cinemablend.com site states: "but apparently Warners is none to happy with the performance of Dark Shadows" as if that is fact (and honestly, what's more apparent is that they don't know the difference between "to" and "too") - however, they cite Deadline as their source and what Deadline actually says is "Warner Bros can’t have been too happy with the performance of Dark Shadows," which is clearly stated as an opinion, not as a fact.  [sad3]  But as we know only too well, opinions often get run with as facts by far too many sites because we can never forget the whole DS-IS-Completely-Dead-Fiasco after Entertainment Weekly offered an opinion that DS was going to be "backburnered" in favor of Depp's Disney slate of films and was going to be "kaput for now." Just how many Web sites actually picked up on the "for now" part or acknowledged that what EW had written was pure opinion? Uh, none.  ::)

Of course, it could easily be true that Warner Brothers is disappointed with DS' performance - especially given some of the forecasts the various entertainment Web sites put out before the film was released. But there's no way to know if it's to the extent that cinemablend.com insinuates when there are no facts to back it up and their source is nothing but an opinion that didn't even originate from Warner Brothers but from another entertainment site. So, like myself and others have stated more than once, a lot of this stuff has to be taken with a huge grain of salt - especially whenever it can clearly be seen as exaggerating what an original source has said.

42 days 11 hours 53 minutes 27 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 22, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »
For those who like The Onion...

Oh, that's hysterical, usffan - thanks for sharing the link.  [ghost_smiley]

42 days 12 hours 9 minutes 21 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 22, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »
DS is still playing in 2 theaters in my vicinity. And though both are showing it only twice a day, one of the showings is still the prime first evening showing. So, DS must still be doing fairly well around here for there to still be 2 theaters showing it when there are now 302 theaters in the entire country showing it - and to still be showing it when the theaters are likely to be doing their best business of the day.

(And BTW, I was wrong when I said that Wrath of the Titans might have been closing yesterday because its DVD/Blu-ray release is this upcoming Tuesday because it's still playing in 70 theaters, meaning it's beginning its 13th week in release today. We should only be so lucky that Warner Brothers will keep DS in theaters as long.)

42 days 12 hours 36 minutes 56 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 22, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
DS' box office performance continues to be quite interesting this week because on Thursday it brought in $84,454, bringing its current domestic gross to $75,492,660 (and means that in its 6th week in release it brought in $960,032, which far surpasses the $615,593 Wrath of the Titans did for Warner Brothers in its 6th week in release at 35 more theaters than DS was in. And it's definitely going to be very interesting to see if DS can continue to outperform Wrath of the Titans and bring in more than it did in its 7th week.)

(And if anyone wonders why I keep comparing DS to Wrath of the Titans, it's because it's the one Warner Brothers film this year that closely resembles the path that DS has been on. And more notably, according to many sites it supposedly cost $195 million and has brought in $83,594,880 domestically thus far, yet no one is saying it was a bomb, or a dud, or a flop, or whatever other derogatory descriptions they can come up with.)

42 days 15 hours 48 minutes 44 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 22, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »
I happened to like this article because it shows contrasting and balanced reactions/reasoning to WB's decision holding off on JD's The Thin Man. Unfortunately more websites will be going with Deadline's take something you touched upon MB. http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/thin-man-remake-hold-kerbl.php

It is true. I haven't heard any of those derogatory descriptions regarding Wrath of the Titans. It would even be better if DS overtook said movie but that seems unlikely.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 23, 2012, 12:51:53 AM »
It might have been nice had that article also mentioned that DS has grossed more than some of Depp's more recent films like The Tourist and The Rum Diary - though, of course, if they had, then Deadline's opinion on DS would have been rendered much less effective, and, of course, we wouldn't want that. No. Perish the thought.

But moving on the some things that aren't matters of opinion but are actual facts, I see where Box Office Mojo has posted its Thursday as well as its weekly charts and the actual rankings for the week are in because For Greater Glory is included. As expected, DS placed 14th on Monday and Tuesday and placed 15th on Wednesday. And on Thursday it held onto 15th (and was actually one of a handful of the Top 15 films to have a percentage gain from Wednesday):

Thursday Box Office

And as for the week, DS came in 15th (missing 14th by only $1,020):

Weekly Box Office

42 days 19 hours 51 minutes 53 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 23, 2012, 01:20:55 AM »
I got the feeling the writer was trying to defend JD and not accept Deadline's position. Yes it would have been nice if the writer had indicated DS surpassed The Tourist at least domestically. I presume DS will be losing more locations from last week as of today.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 23, 2012, 01:23:41 AM »
I presume DS will be losing more locations from last week as of today.

So, DS must still be doing fairly well around here for there to still be 2 theaters showing it when there are now 302 theaters in the entire country showing it

[ghost_smiley]

42 days 20 hours 23 minutes 41 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 23, 2012, 01:27:41 AM »
Sorry I didn't catch that. It really is winding down.
Smart movie by Universal to delay the Bourne Legacy. DS is referenced.
http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/bourne-legacy-delayed-week-avoid-dark-knight-rises/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 23, 2012, 01:48:52 AM »
It really is winding down.

Though films often play at that level and less for several additional weeks. For instance, as I've mentioned, Wrath of the Titans went into its 13th week of release today and is playing in only 70 theaters. In the previous 6 weeks it had been playing in 265, 360, 255, 205, 150, and 105 theaters. And it doesn't even have to be a film that's been doing particularly well at the box office because Cabin in the Woods went into its 11th week of release today in 196 theaters. In the previous 4 weeks it had been playing in 203, 136, 113, and 224 theaters. And those are but two examples.  [ghost_wink]

42 days 20 hours 48 minutes 2 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!