Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349095 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #690 on: June 21, 2012, 03:00:38 AM »
Thanks for the link, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]  And I learned something because of that Web site because I'd always presumed that the region codes for Blu-rays are the same for DVDs, but apparently that's not true. I noticed that on that site the DS DVD, as would be expected, is region 2: Europe and Japan - but the Blu-ray on the site is region B: Europe, Australia and New Zealand. So, not only are there different region codes, but the regions are comprised of different countries (Australia and New Zealand are part of DVD region 4). And I guess part of my confusion stems from the fact that 70% or so of Blu-rays have no region codes on them, or so I've read, so I've never really realized until I read it tonight that the Blu-ray region code for the US is region A. It's also interesting that while there are 6 regions for DVDs, there are only 3 for Blu-rays. Who knew?  [ghost_wink]

As for how much DS will ultimately gross domestically, a lot of that will depend on how long Warner Brothers keeps it in theaters, how many theaters it will ultimately be playing in, and what it might gross in those theaters. But just as an example, since also dropping down to begin its 6th week in release to about the same level of theaters that DS is currently playing in and decreasing in theaters thereafter, Wrath of the Titans has so far brought in an additional $2,414,035 - and that's over the course of a not quite complete 7 week period as Wrath of the Titans is currently in its 12th week of release. DS is currently in its 6th week of release, so if DS was to gross about the same amount during a similar additional 7 week run in theaters, it probably wouldn't even reach $80 million domestically over that period of time. Though, of course, there's no way to predict how well DS might do from here on in or how long Warner Brothers will keep it in theaters. Only time will give us the answers to those questions. Though one thing that is nice is that in its first 5 days of its 6th week in release, Wrath of the Titans brought in $537,277, whereas DS has brought in $794,250 and done so while also playing in 35 fewer theaters.  [ghost_cool]

40 days 22 hours 0 minutes 38 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #691 on: June 21, 2012, 04:02:36 AM »
I'm interviewing Gabriel Frielich (blonde hippie in Depp Shadows) tomorrow--should be fun, and he's excited to be appearing in Fangoria.
Looking at his head shots, I'm realizing that he's much younger than I thought. He's doing another horror film now.
I've got about a half dozen questions (so far) ready for him.
Anything anyone would like me to ask him?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 21, 2012, 04:55:10 AM »
MB I did not as well know about the different DVD region code variations. Interesting stuff. I assume we will know shortly when the U.S. DVD release will be.

TB in this new interview discusses in part how he feels the test screening process is not helpful to him (which may explain why changes apparently weren't made based on the DS test screening phase). He also talks about that it is painful to him that filmed shots are left on the cutting room floor and mentions that his films don't typically have many deleted scenes. http://collider.com/tim-burton-beetlejuice-2-sequel-interview/174738/

Good luck with the interview David. Besides the obvious questions, how long did the campfire fire scene take to film and if parts were left on the cutting room floor; if he has any props from the movie etc...if he has heard any talks about a possible sequel although he won't be in it unless he became the walking undead.

David

« Reply #693 on: June 21, 2012, 05:19:02 AM »
Having all the hippies, the workmen and Julia back as vampires could make for a fun sequel!

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 21, 2012, 05:57:39 AM »
Most of the cheapie DVD players that can be had for about $30 at big box stores and drug stores, etc, are easily permanently hacked to region 0, and will play just about any DVD you put in them. All it usually takes is a google search of the model number and the words region hack, which should lead you to a series of  commands to enter on the remote control, and presto cheapo region free DVD player
for 30 bucks. I'm not sure about the Blu-ray side of things, I haven't made that leap yet.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 21, 2012, 06:29:02 AM »
My sixth viewing today. Another "private screening". I think this might be the last week in this theatre. We'll see if it hits "the nabes", as Variety used to call neighborhood theaters.

Some observations.....

Julia is absolutely right when she calls Vicki a liar, with secrets. Not that Julia doesn't have a few of her own.
Vicki has come to Collinwood to tutor David. But what about Carolyn? She's only fifteen. Is she being home schooled? Or going to Collinsport High School? Or just being moody full time?
When we see Carolyn outside the house with David and Elizabeth, it's just for a second or two. Did she still have the werewolf makeup on?

Any comments, cousins?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 21, 2012, 07:07:25 AM »
I think she de-werewolferized herself after Liz carried her out.  My question is:  how long has Carolyn been transforming?  We know Angelique sent the werewolf to bite Carolyn "in her crib," but does that mean she's been changing since she was a baby and Liz had no idea?  I was under the impression that either a) she started transforming recently, or b) that was her first change.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 21, 2012, 07:42:17 AM »
I thought that Carolyn had only begun transforming recently. David makes reference to her making noises at that early breakfast scene. But she would not have been able to hide that from her mother and David indefinitely. Such a big deal is made about her age, so maybe that's part of it also.

I'm not sure if she broke the curse herself or if the spell simply ended with Angelique's death.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 21, 2012, 10:51:44 AM »
I just took it for granted that Carolyn's lycanthropic curse started taking effect when she hit puberty, but even then only gradually.  And it appears she does have some control over it.

Gerard

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 21, 2012, 01:50:17 PM »
WHAT is the current worldwide total?

David

« Reply #700 on: June 21, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
Current worldwide gross is just over $210 million.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 21, 2012, 08:39:46 PM »
Thanks for the link to the Tim Burton interview, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]

It's no secret that I share Burton's dislike for test screenings, mostly because the more I read about how the studios react to them and how they can affect films, the more it seems that actors dislike how many of their favorite scenes end up being cut and directors believe their vision is frequently compromised. I have yet to read an article in which any person on the creative end of filmaking has said they felt the test screening process made for a better film.

And Burton's comments about not normally having a lot of cut scenes is interesting. Apparently DS was the exception rather than the rule with him.

And going somewhat OT, it's going to be very interesting to see how Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter does because the industry box office predictions are dire to say the least - and some of the worst reviews that DS received would easily be considered glowing by comparison to what I've been hearing many of the initial reviews are like. And honestly all of that surprises me because the second time I went to see DS I saw a newer trailer for AL:VH and it looked great. But then we all know how trailers can be deceiving when it comes to what a film might actually be like.  [ghost_wink]  And if the film really does do as badly as is currently being predicted, one can't help but wonder how that might not just affect the potential Beetlejuice sequel, but the entire future of Seth Grahame-Smith's screenwriting career?

41 days 15 hours 39 minutes 46 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 21, 2012, 11:16:05 PM »
It was interesting seeing TB disdain for test screenings. I was kind of surprised he was that emphatic and thought he would tale a slightly more politically correct stance on the matter knowing that studios may be watching. Good for him.

Plus Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is rated R which may hurt its box office receipts. SGS is a hot writer but hot can go to cold pretty fast in this industry. I have a feeling this movie will not do well and I was not really impressed with its trailers. It just seems to me that studios don't know how to market movies any more.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 22, 2012, 12:04:05 AM »
Interestingly, for the second week in a row DS brought in more on Wednesday than it did on Monday even though Wednesday tends to be the worst day of the week at the box office - and once again it wasn't alone because a few other films also did better on Wednesday. But as for the numbers, DS brought in $81,328, bringing its current domestic gross to $75,408,206. (And in a head-to-head 6th week comparison it's now outperforming Wrath of the Titans by even more because at this point Wrath of the Titans had $574,536, whereas DS now has $875,578.)

As for its rank, DS seems to have come in at 15th because Bernie brought in more (in fact, Bernie was actually one of a handful of film to bring in even more than it brought on Wednesday). Though because For Greater Glory isn't being tracked, DS may have even been 16th.

Also I checked the theater count for tomorrow, and as expected DS will once again be dropping down - though not by as much as I was expecting last week because it will be playing in 302 theaters starting on Friday.

41 days 19 hours 4 minutes 5 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 22, 2012, 12:41:22 AM »
It was interesting seeing TB disdain for test screenings. I was kind of surprised he was that emphatic and thought he would tale a slightly more politically correct stance on the matter knowing that studios may be watching. Good for him.

From what I've read it doesn't seem like there are many if any creative types in Hollywood who aren't very open about their dislike of the test screening process. It certainly seems like the only ones who like it are the studios - but then, they would.  [ghost_wink]

Plus Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is rated R which may hurt its box office receipts. SGS is a hot writer but hot can go to cold pretty fast in this industry. I have a feeling this movie will not do well and I was not really impressed with its trailers. It just seems to me that studios don't know how to market movies any more.

True, it is R rated, though no one seems to be basing their forecasts on that. For example, earlier this month Box Office Mojo simply said "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is the closest thing to a sure-fire miss that this Summer has to offer." They also said "its chances of becoming a hit look slim." And just earlier this week boxoffice.com said "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is shaping up to be one of the summer's biggest duds." Most are forecasting that at the most it's likely to bring in $14 million this weekend and that it will be lucky to gross $40 million. Compare that with other R rated vampire themed films like, say, Blade, which opened back in '98 with $17,073,856 and went on to gross $70,087,718, and even Underworld Awakening, which earlier this year opened with $25,306,725 and went on to gross $62,321,039. If the forecasts hold, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter's performance will be fairly pathetic - and certainly a hell of a lot worse than DS.

41 days 19 hours 41 minutes 22 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!