Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349584 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #390 on: May 29, 2012, 03:03:23 AM »
so where are these types of numbers leaving the film?

not a blockbuster. not a flop. a "modest hit"?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 29, 2012, 03:06:37 AM »
Not actually sure at this point. DS was projected to gross 120 million in the U.S. So if it winds up making $80 I guess some bloggers/websites will consider it a major disappointment and some will use the flop word even if it makes $250 million worldwide.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 29, 2012, 03:26:47 AM »
i think the gravy train is really going to be the DVD market.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #393 on: May 29, 2012, 03:48:03 AM »
I made a boo boo earlier: DS came in at #6 this week, not 5.

According to Box Office Mojo, it's the #1 film, ahead of Avengers, in the following countries:
Belgium, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Spain.

Worldwide gross now stands at $171 million.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 29, 2012, 03:50:47 AM »
i think the gravy train is really going to be the DVD market.

I think you might be right, especially if it is released close to Halloween. (Although I sure wouldn't mind seeing it come out sooner!)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 29, 2012, 04:00:01 AM »
Honestly, it feels like it will be one of those "Halloween" films, the ones like Hocus Pocus and Nightmare Before Christmas.  It just has that sort of feel to it.  And that may be how it will live on.  Just a hypothesis. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 29, 2012, 04:07:01 AM »
I made a boo boo earlier: DS came in at #6 this week, not 5.

You didn't make a mistake - as this link to Box Office Mojo shows, estimates for the 4 day holiday weekend put DS at #5. Though as I said back in reply #387, DS is leading Chernobyl Diaries in the estimates by only $105,000, so it will be very interesting to see the actuals tomorrow because the estimated difference is so close that it could go either way.

As for when the DVD/Blu-ray might come out, someone posted that they heard the last week of September.

17 days 23 hours 7 minutes 1 second since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 29, 2012, 05:43:57 AM »
Even though it was a smaller theatre, it was packed full.  And my friend, who is not a DS fan, loved it.  The rest of the audience seemed engaged as well.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 29, 2012, 08:04:11 AM »
Chloe Grace Moretz repeats.  If anyone missed the David Letterman and/or Jimmy Kimmel appearances of Chloe, they are both being repeated on the Tuesday night (Wednesday morning) shows.  It really seems funny that it would be repeated so soon and that they would both be doing it the same night.
Josette

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #399 on: May 29, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »
I just have to say that I am really happpy at how well DS has done for a cult show that has been off the air for 45 years!   I think it's personally held it's on.  I hopped over to Boxofficemojo.com and it looks as if it's made 171, 488.000!

I think that is a great number for a worldwide release.

I personally think with the economy as it is and things such as netflix and Hulu people tend to watch stuff at home more than not.  So all in all I feel as if DS has done pretty well.  If it cost 125 million to make then it's made a profit of 46, 488.000 in profit.  Once DVD/Blu Ray sales are in then I think DS will at least make 100-125 million profit. I am hoping for that.

Thanks MB for answering my question about Burton.   I did read that he said it would be presumputious to say that there will be a sequel and the reason they ended it the way they did was to pay homage to the soap opera aspect of the show. And I can accept that.  That is cool. 

I would say that people are already starting to write fanfiction about it. 

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #400 on: May 29, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »
Sorry for the double post.

I meant to add that Dark Shadows is playing here in my local theater up until June 7th. It will only show what is showing up until June 7Th so apparently people are still intersted and watching here in my neck of the  woods. That is ten more days..

I will let you guys know if they continue to play it. 

They are also continuing to play it at the other theater in town and another two other theaters about 30 mins from where I live.

That makes me happy.  Seems like people are still coming to watch it!!!  [ghost_smiley]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #401 on: May 29, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »
When I went to see DS this weekend, at a mid-afternoon showing, it was a smaller theater but was surprisingly packed- I'd say about 75%.  This local theater is rarely so full at afternoon weekend shows, so this was a great sign.  I'd say the audience was more into the movie than at the first showing I saw, but maybe that was because the theater was fuller.  People laughed at the right moments and nobody seemed to react badly to the comedy, and people were engrossed through the movie.  A lot of people were staying through the credits, which they didn't do the first time I saw it- maybe they thought there would be an "easter egg" scene at the end.  All in all, the reaction seemed better than it did when I saw it opening weekend.  Hmm!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 29, 2012, 04:50:18 PM »
Another special effects article. http://www.artofvfx.com/?p=2676

ot What ever happened to the Dark Shadows: Art of Film book? I thought it was suppose to be released at the end of May.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 29, 2012, 06:07:04 PM »
I love these SFX articles. Thanks so much for the link, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]

As for the book, who knows what's going on?! All anyone who ordered it from Amazon US has to show for it is a message from Amazon saying "We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item." However, the last time I checked Amazon UK the book wasn't even listed anymore. Or at least it didn't come up when I searched for it. And I didn't take that as a good sign.

18 days 13 hours 7 minutes 4 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 29, 2012, 07:03:22 PM »
Thanks MB I also find them interesting. Another interview this time from the person who created the film titles. http://www.shootonline.com/go/index.php?name=Release&op=view&id=rs-web3-1656449-1338311353-2

I assume they wouldn't cancel the book project. The item should be near completion one would think. I look forward in obtaining it. Thanks for the update MB.