Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 348826 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #330 on: May 25, 2012, 04:40:24 AM »
Oh, the tale of HODS saving MGM is a myth that always pops up, but it's not true.  The studio was being sold off in huge pieces, both the land, and it's vast immensely valuable holdings.  HODS was a decent moneymaker, and what the people running MGM liked was that it was cheap yet made money.  They didn't have to spend vast Ryan's Daughter type dollars with the high risk.  It became the studio's business model for the next few years while Aubrey was running the show.

I'll bet MGM was still traumatized by having shoveled money at 2001: A Space Odyssey.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #331 on: May 25, 2012, 09:51:42 AM »
Hey guys...

Everyone always seems to be on top of things here so therefore I have a question? Someone on my DS group posted that Tim Burton has already said there would be no sequels to DS.  Of course they haven't backed it up with any links, or articles for me to read.  So I was wondering if anyone had read this anywhere.  I checked all through the posts I had read up until the most recent and I didn't see anyone commenting on that.

I also did a google search and can't find that that in any article. My question is: If this were to be true and Burton had no plans of doing another why did he leave everything up in the air? If it lack of making more money then I can unerstand why and I can understand that he left it up in the air because if the movie would have made more money there could have been a sequel. 

I do hope this isn't true.  DS is going on it's third week in all my local theaters and from what I can tell if the 125 million buget was right then they have already made a nice little amount of money on the movie.  That is I guess if the promotion was included in the price tag?

Just curious if you guys have heard this or seen this from any articles etc?

Thanks

I would love to see a sequel; however, I would really love to see a series made out of DS. I think a series could mine so much more than movies.  Three version of DS have been made in my lifetime and countless other tries to get it on the air have been made in my lifetime so I still have hope. I know DS will live one way or the other! :)

Hugs from Cousin Tae! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 25, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
I haven't seen anything in which Burton specifically says there won't be a sequel. However, I have seen several interviews in which he said that he didn't end the film the way he did with the deliberate intention of making a sequel. Perhaps that's the comment the person on your FB group is referring to...

14 days 11 hours 11 minutes 24 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 25, 2012, 04:25:47 PM »
My question is: If this were to be true and Burton had no plans of doing another why did he leave everything up in the air?
Just one more reference, perhaps, to the original series, in which a few things were left up in the air at the end.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 25, 2012, 04:37:57 PM »
If Depp wants to do a sequel, it'll get done with or without Burton. If Depp does not want to do a sequel, one won't get done. That's my take anyway.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 25, 2012, 04:47:57 PM »
I don't believe WB wants to do a sequel. JD will need to take it to another studio if he wants a sequel imo.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 25, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »
even with multiple viewings vicki's trajectory to collinwood is impossible to work into a coherent timeline...

she(i guess she's still "maggie" at this point)escapes from windcliff, then we see her(still wearing the same wet clothes)in a diner with the ghost of josette reading the advertisement for the governess position. so it would seem that virtually no time had passed.

so again how did she apply for the position? was she homeless at this point? how did she even have the money for trainfare if she was a mental hospital escapee? where and when did she get the little blue suitcase and all the cute early 1960's dresses and tights and shoes?

i know we're not supposed to focus on such mundane things but they took the trouble to create this rather elaborate backstory for her and then through some sloppy writing/continuity gaffes made it sort of nonsensical. [ghost_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #337 on: May 25, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »
David Selby has posted some comments about the new movie on his blog:

http://www.davidselby.com/blog/2012/05/25/comments-on-tim-burton-and-johnny-depps-dark-shadows/

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 25, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »
Well, we can't necessarily blame some of the holes in Maggie/Vicki's backstory on sloppy writing - it might simply be a case of unfortunate editing. When she gets off the train and sees the policemen, she tries to be as inconspicuous as possible. I basically interpreted that as her hoping they haven't been informed of the escaped patient and that they won't recognize her as such. But what if she actually committed crimes (possibly with the help of Josette's ghost) to get the money and clothes necessary for her to make her way to Collinwood. If so, she would have even more reason to want to avoid the police. Though we may never know if anything like that was supposed to be case unless we get deleted scenes that show it or we eventually get to read the script...

14 days 12 hours 12 minutes 58 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 25, 2012, 06:52:15 PM »
she(i guess she's still "maggie" at this point)escapes from windcliff, then we see her(still wearing the same wet clothes)in a diner with the ghost of josette reading the advertisement for the governess position. so it would seem that virtually no time had passed.

And I wonder if she was at Windcliff straight through from childhood to her escape, or if she had multiple stays there?  I can't remember if anything about that was stated explicitly in the film.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 25, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »
Though we may never know if anything like that was supposed to be case unless we get deleted scenes that show it or we eventually get to read the script...

Ooh, ooh, let's get the script(s), please!   [beg]

And how about a novelization? If this were really a movie from 1972, there would most definitely be a novelization!   [beg2]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 25, 2012, 07:27:56 PM »
With a set of pictures in the middle!

And how about a novelization? If this were really a movie from 1972, there would most definitely be a novelization!   [beg2]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 25, 2012, 07:38:02 PM »
If only. But these days film tie-in paperbacks seem to be issued if the film is based on a book. The days of turning the script into a novelization seem mostly behind us, unfortunately...

14 days 14 hours 38 minutes 2 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 25, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »
Thursday's box office resulted in another $1,151,342, which moves Dark Shadows' domestic box office to $55,482,896, which is currently good enough to place it at #19 for the year to date:

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/alltime_numbers/domestic/data/2012

Although I anticipate that Men In Black III will leapfrog Dark Shadows this weekend, I also suspect that there are 5 or so movies that could fall behind Dark Shadows this weekend. 

While there has been quite a bit of concern expressed that this movie will be viewed as a bomb, I don't share those concerns.  I feel reasonably certain that the "bomb" label will go with movies like John Carter and Battleship long before it gets attached to Dark Shadows.  And I do expect the movie to do well in the aftermarket. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 25, 2012, 08:04:46 PM »
I finally just got around to checking out Seth Grahame-Smith's Twitter chat from the other day and came across these two exchanges regarding the DS film that also relate a bit to what we've been discussing today:

Kim Karalius ‏@kkaralius
@sethgs How did you handle balancing Victoria Winters / Maggie Evans / Josette when writing the screenplay? #figlitchat
7:34 PM - 21 May 12

Seth Grahame-Smith ‏@sethgs
@kkaralius According to some reviews, not very well. But tried to stay close to the original show's ideas about reincarnation. #figlitchat
7:37 PM - 21 May 12

That might have been the perfect time for him to mention if anything with Vicki had been cut. But I suppose either he didn't think or he was simply thinking about the reincarnation angle. However -

Kevin M. Randall ‏@kmr_kevin
@sethgs Hoping for possibility of extended cut of Dark Shadows on Blu-ray w/more of the story you wrote. #figlitchat
7:36 PM - 21 May 12

Seth Grahame-Smith ‏@sethgs
@kmr_kevin I wish I had the power to force an extended cut, but there WILL be lots of deleted scenes on BluRay/DVD. #figlitchat
7:38 PM - 21 May 12

- that's at least the third time that he's said there will be lots of deleted scenes, so let's hope it definitely turns out that way...

14 days 15 hours 4 minutes 46 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!