Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350624 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1635 on: August 26, 2013, 04:32:10 PM »
And it's looking like this week ES.TV is reshowing the May 14, 2012 segment with Jonny Lee Miller and Jackie Earle Haley (today), the May 15, 2012 segment with Johnny Depp (tomorrow), and the May 17, 2012 segment with Helena Bonham Carter (Thursday).  [ghost_smiley]

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is now out on DVD/Blu-ray!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: September 02, 2013, 05:43:58 PM »
And today ES.TV is reshowing the May 21, 2012 segment with Tim Burton.

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: September 15, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
Getting back to the subject of DS playing on premium cable stations and on demand, a friend just bought herself a 60 inch TV, she's invited a bunch of friends over tonight to watch a movie, and she wanted us to look online on her cable company's Web site to see what's available on demand. Well, as I was glancing through the selections I noticed DS, so I checked how long it will be available on demand, and it said until November 1st. I wonder if that's the end date for all cable companies or just hers?

It was also interesting to note that the available movies were sorted by popularity, and even at this late date with the DVD/Blu-ray having been released almost a year ago and the film having been available on Cinemax and HBO for months, DS comes up on page #5 out of 248 pages. Not bad.  [ghost_wink]  But what makes that even more interesting is that DS is only available on demand with her cable company to people who subscribe to Cinemax, which makes the fact that it's on page #5 even more impressive because it's not just anyone who belongs to her cable company that can see it on demand.

David

« Reply #1638 on: September 15, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »
as we discussed elsewhere, the film isn't a masterpiece nor is it perfect.
But it's a fun, well made homage, and much better than it gets credit for.

More and more people are finally admitting this.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: September 15, 2013, 10:36:40 PM »
i'm not seeing much of this newfound appreciation...

just today over on one of the FB boards the subject came up to the usual wails of discontent followed by revelry at it's supposed "flop" status. i'm afraid it's created a permanent, irrevocable schism within the fanbase.

today the gripes were less the usual whiteface complaints but that the OS cameos were too brief. so they wanted longer cameos in a movie they despise anyways??? makes no sense.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #1640 on: September 15, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »
I'm not sure Facebook, the biggest flame war in the world, can be taken too seriously.

But I have seen changes for the better attitudes towards the film here and in a number of blog posts.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: September 16, 2013, 02:34:39 AM »
I haven't honestly been paying attention to the various blogs, but there was that one at joblo.com that you posted the link to where they definitely changed their mind about the film.

As for the DS fans who've condemned the film, well, it took decades for many fans to finally see and to finally admit that NoDS wasn't a disaster, so it may take just as long if the same ever happens with the Depp/DS film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: September 16, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
Believe it or not (I know I can barely believe it), but ES.TV reaired the May 9, 2012 Chloe Moretz/Bella Heathcote segment yet again today. And tomorrow they're reairing Johnny Depp's May 15, 2012 segment. Though those seem to be the only ones this time around - or at least this week.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: September 19, 2013, 02:23:50 PM »
for what it's worth I watched the dvd with my mom(who watched the OS when she was pregnant with me)the other night and she absolutely loved it. she thought it was great...

even the explosive woof-i'm-a-werewolf climax, which drove me insane, didn't bother her. [ghost_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: October 09, 2013, 06:02:49 AM »
Chloe Grace Moretz: I Love Horror Movies Because ...

It's interesting to note that the Depp/DS film still ranks as her top grossing film. It will be interesting to see if her Carrie can surpass it. Statistics and prognosticators say no. But one never knows...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: October 21, 2013, 09:13:22 PM »
Statistics and prognosticators say no.

And apparently they were right. It's definitely looking like DS will remain Chloe Moretz' top grossing film because, while Carrie opened in third place this past weekend and was only about $300 thousand behind the film in second place, it pulled in only $16,101,552. And actually, it ranks 7th so far as the opening weekends for her films go.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: October 21, 2013, 09:17:37 PM »
Too bad for her as this is her film, Shadows was not. I hope it does well for her when all is said and done. Any reviews yet on her work in Carrie? I'll have to check that out now that I'm reminded of it.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1647 on: October 21, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »
I've only seen a couple of the reviews (and I haven't seen the film), but the ones I saw thought that Chloe and Julianne Moore were both good, but that the movie was bland.  'Course, lately, I have been a little suspicious of movie reviews in general, so who knows if the reviewers are correct or not.  But I think that's what I've seen.  On the bright side, if they did like her performance, at least that might help her with future roles.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #1648 on: October 22, 2013, 03:30:31 AM »
I saw CARRIE yesterday. I thought it was a pretty good remake and CHLOE was excellent. PIPER LAURIE was a little more over the top as the mother in the original but JULIANNE gave a great performance as the mom in this version.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: October 22, 2013, 10:01:16 PM »
the subject of the film came up yesterday over on one of the FB boards to yet again the usual wails of discontent. it was a "travesty". it made a "mockery" of the series. blah. blah. blah...

I really have to say this here at this board we exist in something of a deluded isolation bubble in terms of the film. the moderators liked it. as did several of the more active posters. so we've been lulled into the false impression that fans have gradually cottoned to it's offbeat sensibility. that's there's been an overall softening up towards it after the initial wave of outrage and hostility.

but that's really not accurate. from what I've seen elsewhere most "fans" still despise it with a passion bordering on a mania. the lynch mob mentality is still out in force. to even suggest you might have enjoyed it is to instantly find oneself on the defensive.

and even here we've seen that several prominent members, some who've posted here for over a decade with great enthusiasm, have hit the highway. i'm afraid that the film has created an irrevocable schism within the fanbase that's never going to be healed.