Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350765 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1620 on: July 09, 2013, 04:16:57 AM »
The same writer seems to have soften her stance a bit but still claims that the DS movie did not make a profit. I think the word is slowly getting around that the DS movie was not a flop. In another article I saw somewhere it stated that the marketing costs for The Lone Ranger was $175M. If that is true the marketing for DS had to be at least 100M.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2013/07/08/the-lone-ranger-shows-that-not-even-johnny-depp-is-a-sure-thing/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: July 09, 2013, 04:34:17 AM »
Every article I have seen about the Lone Ranger flopping always tells readers to look back at last year's domestic flop, Dark Shadows.  But, today, the article mentioned that Depp Shadows did well overseas.  Improvement! 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: July 09, 2013, 05:05:16 PM »
I haven't read any The Lone Ranger articles that have referred to DS as a flop. If they've referred to it at all, they've called it a "domestic disappointment." - and when it comes to its US box office, I suppose it was. But then, I haven't read any of the columns by the usual suspects who just love to refer to DS as a flop.  [ghost_rolleyes]

One of the columns I did read, though, called The Tourist "an epic flop," which is was not - and it has been well publicized that it was not. But, of course, some people will never let it get through their heads that The Tourist wasn't a flop of any kind - just like they won't let it get through their heads that DS wasn't one.

Another column was quick to point out that The Lone Ranger made less during its opening weekend than DS did. And while that's technically true, they conveniently neglected to take into account that TLR opened on a Wednesday and had already played in theaters for two days before its first three day weekend occurred. Though it is also true that TLR is playing in more theaters than DS did, so the fact that it pulled in less in its first weekend may not bode well for it. Also, DS' opening weekend per screen was $7906, while TLR's was $7482. And on another front, there have also been reports that TLR isn't exactly lighting up the foreign box office. But to be fair with that, I don't know which/how many countries it's playing in.

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is now out on DVD/Blu-ray!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: July 09, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »
The same writer seems to have soften her stance a bit but still claims that the DS movie did not make a profit.

And so long as she's using the figures she's using to determine that for herself, she never will say it made a profit.  [ghost_rolleyes]  But as we well know, just because someone writes something and presents it as the truth, that doesn't necessarily make it true. Just ask the financial participants in The Tourist, who are no doubt laughing their way to the bank as columnists continue to claim that film was an epic flop.  [ghost_wink]

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: July 09, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »
I did see some articles, one in particular, that blasted and laughed at the "fact" that The Lone Ranger was another JD "flop."  The author did, indeed, reference DS, stating that it only made $80 million dollars in total (a blatant lie, of course).  Of course, I didn't save any link to the article.

Gerard

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: July 09, 2013, 11:10:29 PM »
That's the one I saw, Gerard.  But it was okay, because the next day, they pointed out that Depp Shadows did well overseas. 

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: July 23, 2013, 08:53:57 AM »
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I got HBO just in time for them to be showing DS.  Even though I have it recorded and plan to keep it, every time I see it listed in the schedule, there's a temptation to want to get it!!

I haven't paid attention to which HBO channels it's on.  Originally it was on the main channel, but since then it's been listed on others.  I don't always know what the abbreviations stand for, anyway.  One day recently I was checking the HBO schedule online and discovered that many of the recent showings are on their Comedy channel, so apparently it is still being classified as a comedy.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: July 23, 2013, 10:45:42 PM »
Alas, thanks to the film's marketing campaign, which unfortunately continued along the same lines with the release of it on DVD/Blu-ray, it would seem the film will more often than not be classified as a comedy rather than as a dramedy, which it more resembles.  [ghost_sad]

David

« Reply #1628 on: August 06, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »
I just found out that Depp Shadows screened on 8/4 at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC as part of a series titled Warner Bros Today.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: August 06, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »
Very interesting. Thanks for the notice, David.  [ghost_smiley]

David

« Reply #1630 on: August 10, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »
For those not happy with Depp Shadows airing on HBO Comedy:
the film is also airing on HBO Signature, a channel reserved for more "upscale" fare.
Let's be honest: Depp Shadows does flirt with both the serious and the comedic!

David

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1632 on: August 11, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »
Wow, awesome, I missed that!  Thanks David-Elijah!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: August 11, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »
Thanks so much for posting the link, David.  [ghost_smiley]

It's nice to see him single out Michelle Pfeiffer and Helena Bonham Carter, but it was quite interesting for him to say that for him the real standout is Chloe Moretz because of her undeniable charisma. I suppose opinions like that explain the many nominations she received for the film.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: August 21, 2013, 06:07:49 PM »
I hadn't checked what was going to be on ES.TV this week and was surprised to discover this morning that the show reran the May 9, 2012 segment with Chloe Moretz and Bella Heathcoate promoting the Depp/DS film. Who knows why - except that maybe because the film is showing on various HBO channels? But whatever the reason, who are we to complain if the show wants to continue to promote the film?  [ghost_wink]

And given what I discovered today, I checked tomorrow and Friday and learned that Eva Green's May 10th segment will be on tomorrow and Michelle Pfeiffer's May 11th segment will be on Friday.