Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350511 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1500 on: January 23, 2013, 04:54:22 PM »
That's a pretty cool drawing by Burton.  The DVD I got from Netflix had NO extras on it apart from some trailers.  blech.

The "From Sketch to Screen" featurette was one of the pre-release featurettes that were made available online. Here's but one link to it:

Dark Shadows: From Sketch to Screen Featurette

This is the site I mentioned in my earlier post, for those curious to see what was said

Somehow they had to conveniently pick and chose which critics to include for that list because even if one goes to the site that I never name, one can easily see that even with their consensus, there's no way DS could end up as the second worst film of 2012 based on critics' opinions. But then, as we well know, a lot of the sites that make up these lists have their own agendas - and hating on Burton is definitely one of them.  ::)  [sad3]

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is now out on DVD/Blu-ray!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: January 24, 2013, 09:52:04 PM »
As some have already noticed, the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board has had another batch of 7 new screen caps and set ups posted to it. And once again, just be careful of spoilers if you haven't already seen the film.  [snow_wink]

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1502 on: January 28, 2013, 04:08:12 PM »
Just wanted to say hello guys!  I am have totally missed you all.  I hope everyone is good.  I am really excited to get the blu ray soon.  Thanks for all the great info.  Later I plan on writing a note to let everyone know why I have been absent so long....till then....have a great day!!!

I love and have missed you all so much!!!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: January 29, 2013, 05:24:50 AM »
And I'm honestly surprised no one seems to have picked up on a few things that either I've pointed out or have come up on their own on the forum in some other fashion recently.  :tsk:  ;)

Particularly, I'm really surprised that no one seems to remember that the two major trailers for the film implied a certain moment that supposedly took place in this sequence -

1776 - Josette (to Barnabas): 'Promise me we'll be together
forever.'

1776 - Barnabas: 'God as my witness, Josette...I swear it.'

- yet that moment doesn't appear in the film (and quite possibly never was supposes to appear - but that's a whole other point). And I could easily understand it if the moment merely appeared in, say, a couple of the TV ads that only ran a few times - but what is supposedly missing was practically pounded into our heads for two months in the two major trailers and their shorter TV ad counterparts.  :)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: January 29, 2013, 06:24:23 AM »
Do you mean the shot of Josette and Barnabas embracing?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: January 29, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »
The correct sequence from the trailers/ads ([thumb]), but the wrong moment ([sad7]) because they do embrace and kiss in the film. But we're finally on the right track!  :)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: January 30, 2013, 05:15:58 AM »
Well, I only saw the thing once, but I don't remember the sequence that these frames are from at all.  In fact, quite a number of the bits of dialogue and scenes from the pre-credits prologue, I don't recall.  But since I only saw it once and can't go back and check, I don't feel I have any right to comment.  Particularly given how low-grade my short term memory is these days.

G.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 12, 2013, 08:49:18 PM »
Particularly, I'm really surprised that no one seems to remember that the two major trailers for the film implied a certain moment that supposedly took place in this sequence -

(images removed)

- yet that moment doesn't appear in the film (and quite possibly never was supposes to appear - but that's a whole other point). And I could easily understand it if the moment merely appeared in, say, a couple of the TV ads that only ran a few times - but what is supposedly missing was practically pounded into our heads for two months in the two major trailers and their shorter TV ad counterparts.  :)

MB, I've been trying to figure out what you're referring to here.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe Barnabas doesn't say "My love" in the final film.  What else is going on in the trailer that I'm not picking up on???

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: February 12, 2013, 09:24:19 PM »
You have hit exactly on it, KMR.  [snow_wink]  And what's most interesting about that is that I don't believe Barnabas was ever supposed to say "My love". If one looks closely at Depp, one can see that what we're actually being shown is the end of Barnabas saying "swear it" - right down to the exact same smile at the end. Apparently the "My love" was merely dubbed in the trailer to quickly establish the Barnabas/Josette relationship. And while it's probably the most blatant example, it isn't the only place in the trailer where words are dubbed that don't appear in the film and that weren't said in the footage that's accompanies the dub. But more on that once the 2012 DS Film Slideshow reaches the scene with the next example.

Very good, KMR!  [thumb]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: February 13, 2013, 12:46:13 AM »
Wow, that's interesting, MB.  I just had the movie running again last night (watched intently up to Vicki's arrival at Collinwood, then let it play in the background while I was doing chores in the living room).  I didn't actually catch that then, just deduced it today from reading your quotes and viewing the trailer.  (Don't have all the dialog memorized yet...   [snow_wink])  And now I'm going to have to watch the trailer some more, and the movie some more, to figure out what the other differences are!!!

BTW, is it just me, or are Johnny's eyes exceptionally dark in that scene?  Is he wearing dark contact lenses?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: February 14, 2013, 09:09:02 PM »
It has certainly been a while but I finally got the chance to post 7 new screen caps and set ups to the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board. And as always, be careful of spoilers if you haven't already seen the film.  [snow_wink]

And speaking of the film, it's interesting how Angelique's fate in the climax is actually hinted at in the scene where her forehead cracks slightly after she witnesses Barnabas and Vicki kissing at The Happening:

(Click here for a 1920X1080 version)

Plus, I wonder if this boat is the same one that was written about as having been a landmark but was purchased for the film?

I haven't had the chance to hunt down the link to that article. But whether it is or it isn't, is that boat even seen in the film? If so, I can't actually place when.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:15 PM »
I am happy you posted this big-ass picture of Green as Ange, it reminds me of how much I enjoyed her flawless & fantastic portrayal of Angelique. It makes me want to buy the DVD. I hope it goes on sale at an incredible price soon! Slightly OT, sorry for that.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: February 15, 2013, 03:01:13 AM »
It doesn't look like that boat could have been used in the movie's opening sequence unless it was mostly done with CGI. Love the captures.

Depp has again been nominated for his work in the movie. http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1302/S00424/nickelodeon-unveils-2013-kids-choice-awards-nominees.htm

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: February 15, 2013, 06:42:41 PM »
Slightly OT, sorry for that.

Nothing connected to the film is ever OT in this topic.  [snow_wink]

Depp has again been nominated for his work in the movie.

Very interesting - especially when once again it's a nomination voted on by the people who'd supposedly ignored the film in droves. Well, once again, so much for those bloggers/journalists readings of the appeal of the film.  [snow_rolleyes]

Thanks so much for the link, jimbo.  [snow_smiley]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1514 on: February 15, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »
Another DS-related award nomination: Alice Cooper has been nominated for Best Cameo in a 2012 Film, by The Scorecard Review:

Best Cameo in a 2012 Film? Vote Now — 11th TSR Movie Awards

(Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise are also nominated for 21 Jump Street, among other nominees).

You can vote, though it looks like you have to register with your e-mail and I won't get a chance to do that until this evening.  Good luck, Alice!